OBX Marathon race report (Read 628 times)

wanderingoutlaw

Ditto that. John, I feel your pain, literally. The first 16 miles of my marathon read a lot like yours. Coasting along at a very comfortable pace, then the little twinges, then the onset of cramps that stopped me cold. I also missed my goal by 20 minutes thanks to the cramping. Like you I'm planning to push the electrolytes more the next time around. Get those cramps under control and a <4 will="" be="" in="" the="" bag="" for="" you.=""></4>
    When my cramps started, I actually thought of your experience, Kirsten. As to electrolytes, I ran out of endurolytes a few weeks ago and was just too lazy to get more. And as the weather turned cooler, I didn't seem to need them as much anyway. I did have one left that I took at the five mile mark of the marathon.

John

wanderingoutlaw

I forgot to mention that this race did mark almost a 45 minute improvement from two years ago, so I can be happy about that Smile

John

Nice job John, a 45 minute PR is GREAT stuff. You might be able to avoid the cramps if you do your walking early and often, come to the run/walk dark side...

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.