1

Uploading file from phone (Read 78 times)

    I'm alpha testing a product that lets me upload my data from my 910xt to Garmin Connect using my Samsung Galaxy S III.  It worked fine this morning.  But since it puts a .fit file on my phone I thought I would also upload into Running Ahead using RA's file upload feature.  (I used Chrome.)  It worked, but has some anomalies.

     

    When I select a ,fit file to upload, it displays ALL fit files on the upload screen, not just the one I selected in the file select box, and gives all of those files the same name, namely the name of the file that I actually selected for the upload.  This morning it was a total of three .fit files, so I just deleted the two extra ones from the RA upload screen and uploaded the remaining one.  Also it doesn't fill in the default fields from one's previous run, such as course, weight, etc, etc.

     

    No biggie at all but just thought I would mention it.

     

    Lovin' not having to use my computer to upload data, especially since I'm a Linux user and so have to bring up VirtualBox and then bring up an old WinXP within it just to upload my data when I'm at home.  Plus there are timing issues between Linux/VirtualBox/WinXP so it usually takes several attempts to get the data up.

     

    So, after my next marathon while I'm at the airport whiling away the time waiting for my flight I can upload my data.  (happy dance :-)  )

      The processing of data is the same regardless of your browser.  Could you send me the file you uploaded so I can take a look?  It could be that the file is corrupt, but I wouldn't know until I look at it.

        Hmmm, since I uploaded from my phone I can send you all three .fit files from there, say as gmail attachments, but I would need your email address.  The one I selected would be the one that has today's date on it.

          Please send it to support@runningahead.com.

            Will do.

              Out of curiosity is there anything new on this?  Did you ever have a chance to look at the file?  All files I upload are missing that historical fill in of the fields.  Not that it is any big issue.  Just more curious than anything else.  I'm still alpha testing the Uploader app and it is quite convenient to be able to upload from my Android phone.

                I have not received the files from you yet.

                  I have not received the files from you yet.

                   

                  Oh, really!!!  I attempted to send some to you in any event.  Maybe I screwed it up somehow.  I'm on the phone with Garmin Support now (Virtual Racer function doesn't work with longer runs.)  I'll send you some files when I get off.

                    Ok, just sent two files your way.

                      The files imported properly.  I reread your initial post and I couldn't make sense of the name of the file bit.  RA has no concept of file names.  I'm thinking the problem is on the client/browser side.  My phone is too old for Chrome so I can't try it out.  I did try with FF and that worked correctly.  Could you send me a screen shot of the problem?

                        I have not seen the files issue again.  I think it was some kind of "first time" problem with using the browser to upload.

                         

                        I imported a file again this morning and again the normal pre-populated fields did not populate.  There another file upload option for the browser (as opposed to uploading as Normal Android Way (For MMS, Gmail, ...)), namely to upload File Way (whatever that means).  I'll try that other option tomorrow.  By the way I'm using Chrome.  I could also try using something else.

                          I have not seen the files issue again.  I think it was some kind of "first time" problem with using the browser to upload.

                           

                          I imported a file again this morning and again the normal pre-populated fields did not populate.  There another file upload option for the browser (as opposed to uploading as Normal Android Way (For MMS, Gmail, ...)), namely to upload File Way (whatever that means).  I'll try that other option tomorrow.  By the way I'm using Chrome.  I could also try using something else.

                           

                          Since you're a fellow software engineer, could you tell me what the imported files are missing and what you're expecting?  It'll save me a lot of time hunting for the problem and guessing what you mean.

                            I think I've gotten to the bottom of it.

                             

                            I was talking about the pre-populated fields such as Workout Type, Route, Equipment and Weight.  They are not being populated with entries from the prior activity because I am uploading from a smart phone which does not have Garmin Communicator installed.  So on the upload from GPS screen your list of options that the user can select to cause that populating do not appear.  (And they do not appear on the file upload screen.)  Hence the default is used  to not pre-populate from the prior activity.

                             

                            No biggie.  I had just been curious.