Twin Cities Marathon, Cold wet marathon. (Read 694 times)

Nice Race Bugs, I know it's not the outcome you had planned, but Hey, given all that you have gone through with your calves in the last year, You did an Amazing effort! I cannot even running that distance but in crappy conditions like that, you managed to finish, and you are alive and well to talk about it. Great Job....

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Another Passion

Great effort and finish, Bugs, given the conditions, both environmental and your physical issues. You should be proud of yourself! Wink

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

flatland mountaineer

Great job on a tough day.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

You did great!
          runlouierun

What a great run in such wet and cold conditions!

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Cold and wet sucks. There are plenty of races ahead and yes you will get faster.
              Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
              kcam

As others have said, to come within 5 minutes of your PR under those circumstances is amazing. This was a character-building race. Wait till you get a decent day to run! Congratulations!
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Bugs, you did amazingly well. Your weather hit Milwaukee after 1pm, just minutes after I crossed the finish line. I felt SO bad for those people finishing in the 5.5-6.5 hour range. The ends of their race were cold and windy. I can't imagine running the entire race in that. WTG, girl! Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Giants Fan

I agree!! Way to harden up and finish!!! Don't you love how nice other runners and volunteers at races are? That is why I love our sport...how nice of her to give you her jacket!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

I believe that a marathon and a plane crash have one thing in common, as long as you can walk away from them it's a "good one". Smile Maybe mildly disappointing, but you finished. Good on ya'

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Bugs

Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate each one of them. It wasn't so much finishing at 4:03 instead of 3:57 that bothered me, was that I hobbled in the finish. My last marathon I had my garmin set to go off if I ran faster than an 8:30 pace and it only went off the last three miles. I know I got to suck it up and expect some of these marathons not to go as planned. The volunteer really was a life saver. I sure hope she found another rain slicker. My legs are sore but not near as sore as past marathons, no elevator required. It is also possible I did not take enough electrolytes in. I took 2 GUs, 2 S!Caps, and four glasses of powerade. However I never cramped after the marathon, so I think it was just muscles that got tight from the cold. Anyone care to comment? I'm 'thinking' of running Des Moines Iowa in two weeks. I haven't totally convinced myself on the ideas because I you spent 2 hours wanting nothing but to be at the finish, and then to willingly go to the start from mile 0 again seems nuts.

Bugs

mummydust

I think your split times look fairly decent, you should definitely be happy with the race. Maybe you burned extra calories trying to stay warm, and thus lacked the kick at the end? My only ever DNF was under similar conditions. I was not properly dressed for strong wind and cold rain. I had a sweatshirt on and it was so soggy by mile 13 and I felt warm so I just took it off. Felt great for a mile then my hands would not work and I started shivering so I quit and got a ride to a dry place. If you decide on Des Moines you know the training will be easy. Just recover this week and taper next week Smile

Dog-Love

Wow bugs way to hang in there. I think the wind alone would make me crazy but rain and cold is really tough. I am not sure it is really good for me to read all of these race reports less that 4 days before I run mine in Victoria. You are an inspiration!
                            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Sandi Sue

Bugs, I live in a rain forest here in SE AK and I know how tough it is to run in the rain and wind. It can definitely sap your strength and give you a good dose of hypothermia. Way to HTFU and finish with a very respectable time. I would love to run a marathon in 4 hours under any conditions. Good job. Big grin

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever