2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

The podium was nice.  The interesting part was we where almost exactly 8 minutes slower than we expected.  So evidently the amount of traffic was about right on par for everyone.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

DoppleBock

I still think you had more traffic to deal with than I did ~ I was in 3:09 shape (I thought) and ran a 1:31 all out 1/2 Saturday and a 3:06 full on Sunday.  I think it had little to no impact on my overall time.

The podium was nice.  The interesting part was we where almost exactly 8 minutes slower than we expected.  So evidently the amount of traffic was about right on par for everyone.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

OK ... piss on it - I will go ahead and jinx my training for the next 12 weeks

Dopple Bock 4/21/2012 Carmel Marathon, Carmel, IN - Sub 3:00

As I proved in Houston, I am currently in 3:15 shape ~ Things I must do to acheive sub 3

1)  Lose 20# (Basically at least weigh 220 or under)

2)  Actually train consistently - Not stupid high mileage like past, but consistently

3)  Fix my nagging right hamstring.

4)  Become estranged to my love ... beer.

I am somewhat encouraged that I ran the last 6.2 miles @ Houston under 44 minutes.

My plan is to do 2 harder days a week + 2 nights of racketball a week for cross training.  Fill in the rest of days with some easy mileage and run at least 6 days a week ~ try to keep it to @ 10 hours a week, but I am willing to bend to 12 some weeks.

Sign me up for a sub 2:50 at NYC Marathon :X

Didn't realize I am the next one to attempt sub3

Training is going on with some good and bad.  My longer runs are pretty successful, while my speed suffers a lot lately.

Geo, I'll be at Napa as well, but I'll be running at a more leisurely pace (probably 3:20 - 3:30).  I ran Napa last year as well and really like the course.  Good luck on your February training!  I'm up to 3 runs a week now, but one of them is 20+ miles each week.  I've been doing A LOT of pool running and riding a stationary bike to supplement and give my Achilles a chance to heal.  So far so good.

Geo, I'll be at Napa as well, but I'll be running at a more leisurely pace (probably 3:20 - 3:30).  I ran Napa last year as well and really like the course.  Good luck on your February training!  I'm up to 3 runs a week now, but one of them is 20+ miles each week.  I've been doing A LOT of pool running and riding a stationary bike to supplement and give my Achilles a chance to heal.  So far so good.

Since it is a small race, perhaps we can touch base before the start.  It will be my first Napa.

No problem.  It's pretty dark until a few minutes before the start, so it can be hard to see people.  When it gets closer, I'll let you know what I'll be wearing.  Also, get to the Port-o-john's early; last year there was a long line still when the gun went off.

BTW, Ian Sharman is going for an Elvis Marathon world record at Napa.  Last year, he ran a world record for a Spiderman suit in 2:40.  I think the Elvis record is in the high 2:30's, which is well within his ability.

bhearn

BTW, Ian Sharman is going for an Elvis Marathon world record at Napa.  Last year, he ran a world record for a Spiderman suit in 2:40. 

That was a very short-lived record -- Michael Wardian now has the record for fastest marathon in a superhero costume, 2:34:56, and he ran as Spiderman, on 3/11/11, a week after Napa.

BTW I am strongly considering trying to break the record for most Rubik's cubes solved while running a marathon (100, in a 4:45 marathon). Yeah, totally silly and pointless, but I'll bet I could solve ~120 while running sub-4. So why not?

DoppleBock

Bump

Not planning on any attempts prior to Carmel April 21.  Although I am planning or running another 50k and another marathon.  Our local marathon does the course backward (minimal support) 6 months before (Of after -depends on how you look at it) the actual marathon.  I am thinking of parking at the start - running the marathon and then running back to my truck - It will add 8ish miles if I take a direct route back.

The 50k is also a training run - 3 weeks before Carmel - I am thinking of doing 7x 10k loops to get a bit more running.

Other than starting to cheat and log extra miles - I am not losing weight very fast and cannot do speed work without my hamstring barking.  But I am enjoying just running.  I am in @ 3:10 shape right now.

DoppleBock

What everyone injured?  Dead?  How are things going?

What everyone injured?  Dead?  How are things going?

After a couple of failed attempts, I've decided I need to run a 18:50 ish 5k or a 1:26 half to really determine if I'm capable of taking another sub 3:00 attempt.

Get off my porch

DoppleBock

That seems reasonable to me - Although I can tell just by how speed workouts are going.  If I can do 4x 2 mile @ 6:30 pace - I can break 3. 

How close are you?

After a couple of failed attempts, I've decided I need to run a 18:50 ish 5k or a 1:26 half to really determine if I'm capable of taking another sub 3:00 attempt.

On December 4th, when broke my 5 mile PR of 29:13 in a 5.4 mile race I felt pretty confident that I would crack the 3 hour mark at the end of January, but after logging 7 miles in the rest of December and only ~23 miles in January prior to the Naples marathon (thanks to {a} working >16 hour shifts most days in December, {b} being lazy in January) my marathon did not go well.  I went through the half just a little behind my goal pace at 1:31:21 and finished way behind my goal pace at 3:48:32

Currently ramping my training back up, looking forward to when I stop traveling for work in March and looking for a May-July marathon to take another shot at breaking the 3:00:00 mark.

I'm trying to decide if I'm audacious enough to make sub-3 a goal for my first marathon. A cold is currently kicking my butt, but I'm feeling like I'm still on track, using a slightly modified Daniels Plan A (from the first edition of Running Formula) 

My 1:19 half PB says I have the speed to do it, (even if it was in Sept 09) I think I just need to get enough running under my belt between now and then.

Dopple Bock, I'm impressed that you can say what kind of marathon time you're in shape for at the moment. I can do that fairly accurately with 5Ks, but for anything longer it's a total crapshoot for me.