shorter split PRs in a longer race - proper to call them PRs? (Read 407 times)

I was just wondering what other peoples' thoughts on the matter were. Today I ran a half marathon, and set a PR (1:36:59). This was my first race running with my new Garmin 305 (thanks REI for that awesome sale a few weeks back!), so of course I was able to check the data afterwards and see that my 5k, 10k, and 10 mile spilts were all PRs (compared to 5k, 10k, and 10 mile races). Is it proper/custom to say that my 10k PR is my 10k spilt from this half marathon, or would I actually have needed to run that time in a 10k race to call it a PR? How do others do this?

A Saucy Wench

Register for a 5K, 10K and 10 miler pronto! Wink Seriously, I dont usually count my splits as PR's although I have seen others do so. I would be more likely to set them in my mind as times to beat the next time I run those distances. Bottom line is Personal Records are personal. Some people will only count certain kinds of races, others will count training workouts etc. It is all what you want to do.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Haha! Big grin I will be sure to look for some 5k, 10k, and 10 milers after my marathon in 2 weeks. Smile Makes sense - I'll use my splits (together with the McMillan Running Calculator) as goals to beat in future races...
          I interpret PR to mean my best time in a race of stated distance. Some say that since PR = "Personal Record" it means that you can be more creative, which I guess is true. Garmin splits are only approximate, btw, and not reliable enough for precision measurement. And yes "Register for a 5K, 10K and 10 miler pronto!" I just looked at the PR's in your log. Those things will soon be ancient history. Wow, what a breakthrough you had in Marine Corps Half. That is huge! Well done!
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            Good point about the Garmin. It actually registered that I ran 13.19 miles (and who knows, maybe I did, in terms of not cutting the tangents perfectly), but as far as I'm concerned, I ran 13.1 miles. I guess part of me just got greedy and hoped to set 4 PRs in a single race. Big grin Thanks for the kind words. Smile Training for my first Ironman which I raced last month has certainly helped bring my fitness up a notch. Lots of low heart rate, easy aerobic stuff. I just checked your PRs and my jaw hit the floor! You are FAST!