Crowded Marathon Advice (Read 830 times)

Feeling the growl again

Take this as a compliment, Andy, but I don't think you really have much experience running midpack in any race, let alone a large marathon. Wink
    True, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once... Wink I did get stuck in a porta john line at Chicago in 2002 and did not get back to my corral in time for the start. When the gun went off I was near the 3:30 pace group, tearing up the sidelines. While I did not hit anyone or throw a single elbow, I got quite a few yells for tearing through there bobbing and weaving so fast. If I had been throwing elbows I think someone would have clotheslined me.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

When the gun went off I was near the 3:30 pace group, tearing up the sidelines.
      That's pretty funny. I bet all of them were thinking "Look at that dumbass going out too fast. We'll be seeing him again before long."

Not at it at all. 

xor

*Shrug* I saw medal-caliber Olympic athletes do more pushing and elbowing on the track than I've done in a 45,000 person race. Anyone who has run in a large race knows there can be plenty of unintended body contact in the early miles. As long as you're not trying to intentionally pummel another runner, I don't see the issue.
        I would mostly agree with this and also point out that this isn't what I was commenting upon. You also included in your cases the 1) intentional 2) and rough elbow. Which, in my mind, is "intentionally pummel(ing) another runner". Sure, dings and ooopses happen. And up front, I'm quite sure lots of stuff happens. In cross country too. But running the Portland Marathon at about a 3:30 pace? A whoops is fine. A guy swinging his elbow at my face is not.