In the limbo between training plans - requesting advice. (Read 460 times)

Fool

Hi all, Thanks in advance for all the advice provided here and elsewhere as I've made running a part of my life. I started C25K on treadmill last September, followed that with One Hour Runner, ran a 5K in May and transitioned almost all of my miles to outdoor. Started a half marathon training plan and managed to produce a respectable (for me) 1:55:54. It was an awesome experience, but it immediately had me wondering what to do next, and training for a marathon has been very tempting. I see Hyannis Falmouth is on Feb 22nd, and the idea of a winter marathon in New England appeals to my inner-masochist. Currently, I am looking at Hal Higdons Intermediate I schedule as it seemed more in keeping with the mileage I was running at the end of my half training. My goal is simply to complete, although sub 4:20 finish would be nice. So RA experts - As a new runner, am I perhaps risking injury by pushing too much too fast? Should I just plan on running Falmouth as a half, or should I stick with the marathon training plan and fallback to the half if I have issues? I won't be sad if caution dictates a change in plans. Frankly, my heart is really aiming for the NH Marathon next fall, but I'm concerened that without a set plan, I may lose some of my base. I'm 37, 200lbs, and I'm allowing myself the fantasy of qualifying for Boston in my early 40s. There will be more questions from me over the next few years. Wink
      If I were you I'd grant that inner masochist what it wants. You've got a decent base -- just listen extra, extra carefully to your joints in the next 3 months and be prepared mentally to drop to the half if needed. Forget a time goal and run your first marathon for FUN. 1. with a modest first-time marathon, your subsequent marathons will have a greater chance of being impressive PRs 2. you have a good excuse for the marathon being slow anyway, since it's a winter marathon in NE (shudder!)
        I think you can do it, given that you run slow, easy, and carefully in all your training runs. Looking at your log, you cleared 100 miles for the month of October, but other than that, not a time before that which is of concern. The Intermediate Program starts out w/ about 130 miles first month, 150 second month, 180 third month, and obviously tapers the last month.... It's the program that sent me <4:00 in the spring and i liked it. looks like your training peaked at around 30 mpw. with higdon it will peak at about 45 mpw. like i said, i believe the first week starts at 24 miles and it goes up from there, but i think it's easily done, given that you make sure you run super slow so the increase in mpw will not tax your body and injure yourself. congrats on the 1/2. in="" the="" spring="" and="" i="" liked="" it.="" looks="" like="" your="" training="" peaked="" at="" around="" 30="" mpw.="" with="" higdon="" it="" will="" peak="" at="" about="" 45="" mpw.="" like="" i="" said,="" i="" believe="" the="" first="" week="" starts="" at="" 24="" miles="" and="" it="" goes="" up="" from="" there,="" but="" i="" think="" it's="" easily="" done,="" given="" that="" you="" make="" sure="" you="" run="" super="" slow="" so="" the="" increase="" in="" mpw="" will="" not="" tax="" your="" body="" and="" injure="" yourself.="" congrats="" on="" the=""></4:00 in the spring and i liked it. looks like your training peaked at around 30 mpw. with higdon it will peak at about 45 mpw. like i said, i believe the first week starts at 24 miles and it goes up from there, but i think it's easily done, given that you make sure you run super slow so the increase in mpw will not tax your body and injure yourself. congrats on the 1/2.>
        mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

As a backup, if you start the training and have to push something out for a few weeks, there are a ton of mid spring marathons in the area that you could try (Providence and New Jersey come to mind quickly, but that's just a fraction of them), which would still give you plenty of time to recover and train for the fall.
            I couldn't find Falmouth in February, but I did find Hyannis Marathon and Half Marathon. As long as your inner masochist is aware of the kind of miserable conditions you may encounter, I can't see any reason not to train for a full. With the exception of the longest training runs, the plans would be pretty comparable anyways. If you decide to go with a half, you could also indulge your inner masochist in New Bedford. Keep wearing down those shoes Russ, best of luck to you.

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Fool

BadDawg -You're correct. It IS Hyannis,not Falmouth. I'll go edit it. It's things like this that make me regret taking me anywhere. Roll eyes I figure I'll aim for it, and see how it goes. I can always drop to the half and/or switch to a later Marathon as suggested. I'm just glad to see that other runners think it is possible. I figure if I can HTFU enough to train through winter, spring training will seem that much easier. If it proves too difficult for any reason, I'm still on some plan. It was fun knowing at the beginning of the week how many miles I'd be running each day. With a goal in mind, my training is always more consistent.