2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Cal - at Richmond I think he was 38 so that's where I got that from, unless he's run a 2:41 in the last year that I missed. Also I was going off of what I saw from JT saying 500 miles a month, but either way, I thought it was a lot.

Course - sorry I think it's a good course, I shouldn't have said dead flat though, thank you for the correction.

I'm glad you all defended him, I knew this was going to start something but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway. Not sure why anyone would be "offended" by the comment though. Part of me throwing this out there is what is the purpose of what we're all doing here. Maybe I'm in a minority here, but I cannot imagine running 100-120 MPW unless I was either a pro, shooting for the OTQ, or I was older and looking to run a great AG time, which is why I wasn't "impressed." It just seems like SO much work to not even run an 80% age graded time. Yes, talent varies across people, and I get that some people are unlucky. But if he was running so much that he was "burning" out or getting injured, I can't imagine that he really loved running so much that he was putting in those miles for the love of the sport.

We all were casual runners at one point. I've cut 27 minutes off my half (which I really did train "seriously" for) which is almost perfectly equivalent in the marathon of this jump you are all talking about with him cutting off an hour. I'm sure 80% of you on this board have the same exact story.

Anyway, this is not personal again as I said I'm sure he was a nice guy. Trust me: I'm sure the pros out there would make the same comment about my running. I wouldn't be offended.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

JT:  Goal for the 100K?  Finishing in the 11th hour would be good.

Wow!!! Just noticed and that's hilarious (put sarcasm here). So, Black Canyons 100K is a WS100 qualifier and it has 5200 ft of elevation ascent and to get qualified for WS100, you should finish under 17 hours. OK. What I find puzzling is that the race I am going to run is Quicksilver 100K in May. It's also 100K, but it has 13,500 ft of ascent and you have to run under 16 hours to qualify. What I am missing? Why such a huge discrepancy? Anybody who runs ultra will certainly understand the difference between 13.5K and 5.2K ascents - it's like day and night... Obviously, not throwing any stones at OMR - that has nothing to do with him. But puzzled nevertheless (because I struggle with that 13.5K elevation all the time, BIG time )

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Also, if you saw both, IAD and Swim, you would understand what athletically gifted means - when you see Swim, you expect him to run sub 2:40 (Division I swimmer?), with IAD you would never expect that - I hope IAD won't be offended by that comparison 

Wait, IAD is about the same height and build as Haile Gebrselassie!   And yes, he may well have got under 2:40 in cheater shoes.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Cal - at Richmond I think he was 38 so that's where I got that from, unless he's run a 2:41 in the last year that I missed. Also I was going off of what I saw from JT saying 500 miles a month, but either way, I thought it was a lot.

Nope... He is 42 now and he was 40 at Richmond in 2017. It's a fact.

It just seems like SO much work to not even run an 80% age graded time.

Just run AG calculator on your time and age - you two have almost identical age graded score of 78.xx%. So, if you are unimpressed with his time, should we be unimpressed with yours? 

bullcityrouter

Has anyone here run the Banff Marathon? It seems like a relatively small event but also a quite beautiful one. If not, any other recommendations for a somewhat comfortable June marathon--a difficult task, I know, but it's the best time for me to run one with work obligations. Thanks : )

weatherboy80

Again I'm impressed with how active this version of the thread is this year.  Before I could get tied up for a few days come back and easily catch up.  Speaking of which been tied up with extra duties recently at work and have family in town so it has been hard to keep checking in over the last week.

DW:  Agree and looks like the fitness is coming back really nicely.

JT: Haven't mentioned you in a while but really glad to see you putting together so many solid sessions recently.

JMac: I wouldn't worry too much yet!  I will say that my afternoon runs (when I do them) I feel like the body is sharper but I run alot more in the AM just by habit and work schedule.  Looking forward to your race!

Cal: Awesome looking week.  Really liking that marathon pace run!

Nimmals: Agree with Jmac that we need you posting on our training.  We learn so much Smile

OMR: Nice to have someone on here doing a 100K!

Keen: Looks like a solid week for you as well!

Me: Well after just a few short weeks of lower volume (sorry JMac) I'm back at over 80 miles per week again.  Fitness really feels solid and we have had glorious weather recently (which helps) so it has been hard to keep the mileage in check.  As I mentioned last week really want to see what I can do in some shorter events (5,K, 10K, and more importantly go after that sub 75 half) over the next 1-2 months before taking a more prolonged breather coming later this spring.  Of note were 6 solid tempo repeats Wednesday AM that felt really good and then on Saturday I actually won a local 5K after running for 12 miles, splitting a 5K in about 16:50 and then cooling down for about 5 more miles so just over 20 for the day.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Nope... He is 42 now and he was 40 at Richmond in 2017. It's a fact.

He was 39 at Richmond, so we were both wrong. Definitely not "a fact" 

I also clearly stated running 100-120 MPW about being impressed, not the time. He ran over 4000 miles the year he ran that 2:41. I ran 2600. So I'm not sure why you're comparing it to me given I made that caveat about the number of miles put in to get that time.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

I can't even catch up. Seems like this place will run itself without my supervision. I forgot people were marathon training right now. I'm just trying not to lose a bet.

Cal I think the WSER qualifying is one of the biggest "WTF"s in running. All you have to do is FINISH a bunch of 100 milers, but there is a time limit in New Zealand if you're doing their 100 miler AND it is the shortest time limit for the 100 milers with a time limit. Apparently distance running is easier south of the equator. Canyons 100k has 16,500 elevation and it's on the WS race course with a 17 hour cutoff. I'd actually be interested to know more about the "why" with qualifying and I'm sure the entire running community would like to see it rebalanced. Maybe they just don't want a lot of locals running it, or they're trying to encourage you to travel for your races.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Wait, IAD is about the same height and build as Haile Gebrselassie!   And yes, he may well have got under 2:40 in cheater shoes.

Yes, just by build IAD is ideal for marathon running; very short and light just like Geb. Us tall folks are at a big disadvantage (Swim, Cyberic, Weather, myself). If I was 5'5" instead of 6'5" I'm sure I would be running sub 2:20 

Weather: Glad you are back in your comfort zone at 80 mpw! Nice work on the 5k win, especially after running 12 miles!

bullcityrouter: I had just mentioned one on June 7, also in Canada, Marathon de le Baie des chaleurs. It also looks like it is really small but being that far north I think the weather should still be cool.

2:52:16 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW - very good post, thank you. I missed the part that you float the in between mile, so now I get it. It's odd that he/you think a 10 mile run at marathon pace is too taxing. When I look at the Jack Daniels conversion chart, he says that a 60 minute run at MP is equivalent to a 20 minute run at LT pace, so for you that's about 9 miles straight at MP. I also think if you tend to hammer things too much, the longer the run, the less likely you are to do it, so I like what you're doing.

Also, 25x400 is just absurd. How is that a workout? What does that accomplish at 10K pace? What am I missing???

Weather - that 5K was so impressive, when I saw that on Strava I was thinking about what conclusions you can make from that. I feel like you've done this a few times, where you run really long warm ups and then smash a 5K. I don't know if it means you're just a better 5K runner, or it means you've learned something about warming up.

Keen - are you using the date format of the crazy people over in Sub 1:30? I'm disappointed in you.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

He was 39 at Richmond, so we were both wrong. Definitely not "a fact" 

I also clearly stated running 100-120 MPW about being impressed, not the time. He ran over 4000 miles the year he ran that 2:41. I ran 2600. So I'm not sure why you're comparing it to me given I made that caveat about the number of miles put in to get that time.

Weatherboy also ran over 4000 miles last year and a 2:40 (in Vaporflys?) and they’re about the same age. 🤔

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Cal I think the WSER qualifying is one of the biggest "WTF"s in running. All you have to do is FINISH a bunch of 100 milers, but there is a time limit in New Zealand if you're doing their 100 miler AND it is the shortest time limit for the 100 milers with a time limit. Apparently distance running is easier south of the equator. Canyons 100k has 16,500 elevation and it's on the WS race course with a 17 hour cutoff. I'd actually be interested to know more about the "why" with qualifying and I'm sure the entire running community would like to see it rebalanced. Maybe they just don't want a lot of locals running it, or they're trying to encourage you to travel for your races.

Brew - I ran Canyons 100K last year (though, they modified the course removing Devil's Thumb portion because of snow situation there). It's not 16,5K ascent course  - the whole WS100 has 18K of elevation ascent. But it's very very challenging course - in my case the course measured just over 13K of ascent. Especially I "liked" the last 15 miles of the course - which basically goes up and up and up for the whole 15 miles . And it's 18 hours cut off time for qualifiers - still feels unfair to 16 hours cut off for Quicksilver with basically the same elevation gain.

CalBears

Weatherboy also ran over 4000 miles last year and a 2:40 (in Vaporflys?) and they’re about the same age. 🤔

Oh, boy... Now we are so unimpressed with weatherboy  

weatherboy80

I guess running those kind of numbers just means I should have already broke like 2:30 at this point    And yes that was my first ever marathon with Vaporfly's so take that for what's worth Although I've only once hit 100 miles per week in training, most of my training is year-round with fairly high mileage (70-85 miles per week) as I certainly tend to have a well documented problem taking prolonged time off from my training.  I tell people, especially last week with various work and family issues that running helps keep me sane though and I'd rather be somewhat sane in this life than worry about a being a few minutes faster in races

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Andres1045

We all were casual runners at one point. I've cut 27 minutes off my half (which I really did train "seriously" for) which is almost perfectly equivalent in the marathon of this jump you are all talking about with him cutting off an hour. I'm sure 80% of you on this board have the same exact story.

Your casual running days got you a 3:12 though, not a 3:5X. I think there are more people with your range from first to best marathon than the 1 hour plus group.

And I can appreciate that you're not intending to say this but it reads a bit like "If I had to run that much to be that slow, I wouldn't bother. Luckily I'm smarter than him and I figured out how to be much faster with way fewer miles."

Upcoming races: Boston