I know the answer, I just need to hear it... (Read 380 times)

Baboon

delicate flower

Don't listen to these pussies. Go out as hard and as fast as you can in the marathon. Bask in your glory for the first 3-5 miles.

Running a 5K PR the first 3.1 miles of a marathon will give you that good early pace and confidence boost you need to carry you through the rest of your 26.2 mile journey.

<3

DaBurger

In fact if goal pace = actual fitness then it's probably impossible to run 10 seconds faster per mile for 10 miles. Your 10-mile race pace should only be 7-8 seconds per mile faster than your half marathon race pace.

Your 10 mile race pace is supposed to be faster?

Know thyself.

I actually would amp this up to include more colorful language.....

Ready, go.

Joann Y

Your 10 mile race pace is supposed to be faster?

Unfortunately, I didn't get this memo either.

GinnyinPA

I've had it go both ways.  In my first marathon, I ran 10-30 seconds per mile faster than goal pace for most of the first 17 miles. Then I slowed down to a bit above goal pace, then it got really painful with a lot of walking miles 22-25.  Even so, I finished 3 minutes faster than I planned. However, in a half marathon in November, I did the same thing, running faster than intended for most of the first 7 miles, and then I blew up completely and ended up walking the hills.  I still got a PR, but barely. I should have been able to do much better. Worse was the way I felt in the end. Completely worn out and defeated.

spinach

Yeah, it worked great for this guy!

In 1976 I ran the New York Marathon, shortly after the start I saw Frank Shorter about 10 meters ahead of me.  So I sped up, probably ran my fastest half mile ever, while going up the Verrazano–Narrows Bridge and I briefly was ahead of him.  That ruined my marathon for the day but I have run many other marathons so I can live with a bad one, However that did give me something about the race that I can still remember clearly and talk about almost 40 years later. I don't remember much else about the other races I ran in the 70s but this one is still clear in my mind.

So, on occasion, it is okay to take advantage of the fresh legs early in a race.  Don't do it every race but sometimes when the opportunity arrives you got to go for it.

The Running Stan

Does anyone want a serious answer?

Lactate Threshold.  When you run at an intensity that requires an energy demand that is greater than what your aerobic system can provide, then the anaerobic system has to work even harder.  When the anaerobic system works harder than the aerobic system, the anaerobic system is forced to ferment the unused pyruvate (which is normally fed into the mitochondria with oxygen for the aerobic system to work) into lactate.  This is to preseve glycolysis and reform the proper co-enzymes that glycolysis requires.  Also, the ATP when it is used, it is hydrolyzed with water and turns into ADP (the OH from the water attaches to the ADP as the lone P group leaves).  This leaves a lone H+ ion from the water as well.  This H+ ion is normally cleared through the aerobic system, but since ADP is also being produced much faster than what the aerobic system can keep up, this causes a build up of H+ ions as well.

OK!  So why is that important?  Lacate and H+ ions accumulate in the blood.  When lactate and H+ ions accumulate, this lowers the pH in our muscles (acidifies).  This is what is commonly known as the "lactic acid" burn.  Run too fast and you accumulate too much lactate and ruins your time.

When you run at an easy effort, lactate accumulates (just a little) but the body can clear that lactate (and H+ ions) just as fast.  Run a little harder and lactate accumulates a little more, but the body remains to clear that lactate (and H+ ions).  Eventually you either run a pace that is so intense or a distance where the lactate accumulation outpaces what your body can do to clear it.  At that moment, this lactate build up begins to rise exponentially.  The point you run just before reaching that exponential point is called your lactate threshold.  If you ran at an even pace right at your lactate threshold, you would be able to run for about an hour until lactatate build up takes over and forces you to slow down.

So if you race a distance that your PR should be an hour, then you should be running right at your LT pace.  Run just a little bit faster and your pace will drop way too much way too soon.  Your body won't be able to recover in time to make up that loss of pace.  Run just a little bit slower than your LT and you will leave too much in the tank by the end of the race.

All of your other distances for races are based upon this.  If you can run a 10K in ~45 minutes, then your 10K pace should be just a little bit faster than your LT pace.  if you run a 13.1 miler in about 1:20:00 then your HM pace should be just a little bit slower than your LT pace.

I hope this makes sense.

The Running Stan

Related.  Why is it better to negative split?

Actually it isn't better to negative split.  It's actually proven best to even split.

However, only the elites who have been running for years and years know exactly what their bodies are capable of doing and know what their even pace should be.  They also study courses and know the effects of elevation, headwinds, and even weather plays on their paces.  They have perfect refueling and hydration techniques.  So they know exactly how to run an even effort throughout the entire race.

Now for the rest of us mere mortals, we have tobe smart by being conservative at the beginning and make up towards the end if we have enough in the tank.  That is why it is better to negative split than to positive split.  But if it were possible, it is best to even split.

mikeymike

Does anyone want a serious answer?

Several of us already gave serious answers that had the added benefit not being unnecessarily complex and full of such debunked physio-babble as "lactic acid burn Bern."

Runners run

I actually would amp this up to include more colorful language.....

Let's hear it!

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

kilkee

runktrun

Thanks, Mikey.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Several of us already gave serious answers that had the added benefit not being unnecessarily complex and full of such debunked physio-babble as "lactic acid burn."

bern

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                          mikeymike

Runners run

The Running Stan

Several of us already gave serious answers that had the added benefit not being unnecessarily complex and full of such debunked physio-babble as "lactic acid burn Bern."

Well excuse me while I bow down to the holy and almighty!

I really didn't see actual answers other than persoanal experience of what happends.  What I did not see was specific answers on why it happends that way.  To you it may seem "unnecessarily complex" to someone else, it may actually lead someone on a better way to train and to strategize for their next race.  It is how people learn and get better.

As far as debunked physio-babble, prove me wrong on how I explained it wrong, buddy.

Yes, the term "lactic acid" is debunked which is why i put it in quotes in my OP, because that is how many that are unaware relate to it; but the way I explained it is not debunked.

Oooh, here we go.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it