Portland Marathon cancelled (Read 330 times)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I don't know about you, but the overtly strong female figure, the pitchfork, the aggressively liberal 'me-too' reference, the pitchfork....  does anyone else feel a little uneasy by this?

dafuq

You people have issues 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I don't know about you, but the overtly strong female figure, the pitchfork, the aggressively liberal 'me-too' reference, the pitchfork....  does anyone else feel a little uneasy by this?

Trident, not pitchfork

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

rlopez

BWAHAHA.

The only "unease" I feel is the name "portlandathon" which is goofy. 

The rest? Nah. It's a Paula joint and I like the seafaring logo.

bhearn

Yeah, almost as silly as Spartathlon.

Seattle prattle

Apparently there's some races named the Boring Marahohn, Half-Boring Half Marathon, and the Constantly Boring 8k.

This race series is in Boring, Oregon.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I don't know about you, but the overtly strong female figure...

Check out some of the female cross & track athletes we have in the NCAA these days -- many find their strength to be inspiring.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

bhearn

The rest? Nah. It's a Paula joint and I like the seafaring logo.

Seafaring?? You mean because of the trident? It's not exactly clear what the trident is supposed to signify, but I wouldn't call the logo "seafaring".

Seattle prattle

I am sorry if my comment about unease regarding the use of the Portlandia Statue has caused some consternation.

First, i did not know that it is a well known statue in Portland. All I knew was what is stated under the Marathon Portlandia Image that is being used to market the marathon. The statement reads:  "Permission for use of Portlandia image given by Raymond Kaskey, creator of Portlandia Statue".

The only Portlandia i know is the one in popular culture - the TV show of the same name. I've never watched it but i understand that it is a satire of the liberal perspective.

So, when i see a reference to a liberal satirical sitcom as embodied by a woman running with a weapon, i started down the wrong path about it's possible meaning.

As i said, i am sorry. I was unsure of how to interpret what wasn't making a lot of sense to me,so i simply asked, hey, what's up with this?
                  No harm was intended. A simple misreading of some local symbolism to Portland which, as someone from another state, i was unaware of.

runlikeagirI

Keep digging.

Joann Y

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yawn.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

bhearn

Yawn.

That's all you have to say about my Portlandia cameo? 

Seattle prattle

That's all you have to say about my Portlandia cameo? 

Exactly, Let's not the let the unbridled talent we've stumbled upon here get lost in all the bickering.

"Encore! Encore!"

(Much applause, sustained)

rlopez

Apparently there's some races named the Boring Marahohn, Half-Boring Half Marathon, and the Constantly Boring 8k.

This race series is in Boring, Oregon.

That is correct. I ran the 50k one year and watched multiple people cheat. It was awesome.

rlopez

Seafaring?? You mean because of the trident? It's not exactly clear what the trident is supposed to signify, but I wouldn't call the logo "seafaring".

I guess I never tried to overthink it, but in all those logos you linked, she's holding the trident in front of a sailing vessel (aka a "tall ship") and that was good enough for me.