Malaise (Read 514 times)

Beware, batbear...

So, I've noticed this thread for people looking for individual advice, but I know it's bound to hit all of us from time to time. Dead I call it, "The Malaise." No It can be induced by just about anything - diet, weather, work, over-training, under-training. But what gives you the malaise? As for me, I've hit it this week because the weather was awesome for two weeks and then has turned crappy again. It was so easy to go outside and run in the spring weather! So yucky to go out and run in the gloom. Angry I've still been getting out there, but with nowhere near the gusto. But, I've ordered a new pair of shoes, and I know that when I get them I'm going to want to go out and break them in. If I can just make it 'til then!!! So what causes it for you, and how do you get over it?

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

Why is it sideways?

Before you decide whether or not you want to run, you run.
      Ben Running

Before you decide whether or not you want to run, you run.
        That is officially my new daily thought when i get home - Thanks Jeff i like that a lot! Big grin
        DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Ugh...the weather...yes it induces "the malaise" for me as well. We have been getting like one 60 degree sun shiny day and then it will rain and be cold for 4 - and of course that sun shiny day is on a Tuesday or Wednesday and the rain is all weekend! I'm so ready for spring! You'll catch me on hear complaining about the heat and humidity come July and wishing for fall - I'm sure Wink

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I was kicking ass prior to spending 3 nights on the slab of a guest bed at my MIL's over the long holiday weekend. Then Easter AM my kid ended up in the ER (long story, but he's no worse for wear...can't say the same for his dad and I after that experience) before we left for home...so we got on the road about 5 hours later than planned and didn't get home until almost 11pm Sunday night. Add to all that my seasonal sinus and allergy issues with some inner ear vertigo crap added for good measure and I feel like death warmed-over. Ended up bailing on a planned 5 miler on Monday. Got some pretty new shoes via UPS yesterday...so that's my motivation today. Plus caffeine. Lots and lots of caffeine. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

It's having to run the same route again...and again...and again. Due to time constraints with work schedules and the kids, most of my runs have to be around the house and after awhile I'm sick of my neighborhood streets. Knowing I'm going to see the same crap over and over sometimes makes me not look too forward to my runs. But if I want to run, that's what I have to put up with.

Best Present Ever

For me, it's mostly fatigue that makes me not feel like running. Actual lack-of-sleep fatigue, not 'overtraining.' If I have to work in the middle of the night several nights in the same week, I often will end up bailing on a run or running something shorter than planned. Sometimes I figure it's for the best, as I really need the sleep. But I have to have a running plan with scheduled days/distances. It helps me to not think about what I 'feel' like doing, but just to do whatever. Otherwise, I fool around doing this and that, and suddenly have frittered away the time I had to run. If I have a scheduled distance, then I feel pressure to get out of the house and get it done. I also like the training log with the pretty bars. Smile It makes me unreasonable happy to have lots of bars, and see the numbers pile up in the summary, and that will often motivate me to not cut a run short.