Weatherproof running jacket (Read 187 times)

The_Real_JZ

the REAL JZ

Looking to the community here for preferences.  I'm looking for something wind/water resistant or proof.  Currently considering:

• Brooks canopy jacket
    • North Face Resolve 2
    • Marmot PreCip

All noted in an article by Runners world and at $80 - $100 fit my budget.  I have a RoadRunnerSports near me and I know they have some proprietary jackets but obviously not much in the way of reviews on them.  I'm leaning towards the Brooks Canopy.

Anyone else have a light / mid-weight jacket they love?  I really just need something over my long sleeve layer for wind/water proofing.  I usually don't run much in weather below 30 degrees and even when I do I just throw on an old windbreaker and am warm enough after a mile or so.

Thanks for any feedback!

2019:  Run my first marathon.

"Who you are will show in what you do"

CalBears

I really love this jacket I use for the last 2 years - it's very light and really waterproof. - Marmot jacket

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

The_Real_JZ

the REAL JZ

Thanks for the feedback.  Maybe leaning towards the Marmot PreCip.

Anyone else have a jacket they love?

Running Problem

Problem Child

Thanks for the feedback.  Maybe leaning towards the Marmot PreCip.

Anyone else have a jacket they love?

https://www.rei.com/product/112408/the-north-face-venture-2-jacket-mens

Not insulated.

water proof. I've run in rain with it and the only reason I was wet was sweating.

I bought this FOR running and it works as a good daily use jacket if all you want is an outer waterproof shell. No insulation so it's a little easier to adjust my layers and the velcro wrists can be adjusted as tight, or loose, as you want.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

After Boston 2018, I decided never again.  Reasoning that cyclists know a lot about working hard for hours in the rain, I bought a waterproof cycling jacket.

It's wonderful.  If I start overheating, I can open the vents in the front - I don't know any running rain jacket with similar.  And the overhang of the jacket in the back looks odd but works great for keeping my butt dry.

I really recommend checking out cycling gear.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I have the Canopy jacket and can solidly say it's at best water "resistant". I've been soaked in fairly light rain during runs in it before and wound up wishing I had worn something waterproof. It is my usual go-to for temps in the 25-35* range with winds below maybe 15*. YMMV.

The Gore R7 is currently out of your budget but has been going on sale for 25-50% off intermittently. Completely wind and water proof and feels light enough that it could be made out of tissue paper. This on is my absolute go-to for rain under 40* or for very heavy winds in cooler temps.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

The_Real_JZ

the REAL JZ

After Boston 2018, I decided never again.  Reasoning that cyclists know a lot about working hard for hours in the rain, I bought a waterproof cycling jacket.

It's wonderful.  If I start overheating, I can open the vents in the front - I don't know any running rain jacket with similar.  And the overhang of the jacket in the back looks odd but works great for keeping my butt dry.

I really recommend checking out cycling gear.

Thanks.  So what cycling jacket do you have or recommend?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks.  So what cycling jacket do you have or recommend?

Mine is made by Sugoi - I would think that many brands would work.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

This is the men's version of what I have.

The_Real_JZ

the REAL JZ

I really love this jacket I use for the last 2 years - it's very light and really waterproof. - Marmot jacket

Thanks everyone for the input.  Picked up a Marmot Precip 2 Eco today at a local retailer for $79.95 there are some colors available directly from Marmot right now for as low as $60.  I went with a medium although the small fit nicely.  I was worried the small would be too tight in the shoulders with another layer on beneath.  I'm 5'7" 148lb and I guess somewhere between 38-40 inch chest.

I tried on the North Face Resolve 2 at Dicks.  It was OK but seemed a little rigid and the cuffs are elastic, not velcro.  Marmot Precip felt lighter and better constructed for my uses.  Ran in it this afternoon in some decent winds at 38 degrees or so and it felt great!  Couldn't really open the pit zippers while on the run but overall very satisfied.

Thanks again!

David Lee

I have Sease Waterproof running jacket and I love it, I bought it last year from Ritecoupons and its still in a good condition. It was a worth buy for me and I am thinking to buy other one from this store.

Thomas Jason

I've recently purchased weatherproof running jacket from mesheble. I used amazon coupon code off anything to get special discount on it. This store has an exclusive collection of different types of jackets. If you really wanna buy it check this store once!

KikiniRunner

I'd also recommend a cycling jacket.  I have one made by Showers Pass.  They are in Washington so know a bit about rain.  I wore it for Boston 2015 in mid 30s near constant rain.  I was wet from sweating under it, but not from rain.  Bought it on clearance at a cycling store outside of Boston.

CalBears

I'd also recommend a cycling jacket.  I have one made by Showers Pass.  They are in Washington so know a bit about rain.  I wore it for Boston 2015 in mid 30s near constant rain.  I was wet from sweating under it, but not from rain.  Bought it on clearance at a cycling store outside of Boston.

Not related to jackets, but there was no 30s weather with constant rain during Boston 2015 - I ran it, so, I know. There was an occasional rain, there was some very strong wind at some parts of the course, it felt pretty cold at the finish because of runners' shirts were wet and it was relatively windy, but the temps were still in the mid 40s...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

Maybe it's a typo and she ran it in 2018. On a number pat 8 is directly above 5.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22