Boston Watchers - Info for Tracking Racers (Read 1647 times)

JakeKnight

Where are all my race reports? Out of the dozens of you who ran this thing (over 50 maybe?) not one race report yet? Get to work, slackers. I want pictures and details. Sheesh.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

Me and my gang in Breck

OK. This is the quick and dirty version because I'm not good at long stories. First things first. Thanks for all the support. I read some of the tracking threads and you folks are really caring people. No excuses for the poor preformance. The hills really suck (Really). I tried to save something for the hills but it wasn't enough. I didn't get enough training miles and track workouts in and I knew I was in trouble before the race. BOSTON ROCKS!!!! Without exception this was and incredible experience. I've watch the race many times and I thought that was great but running it was unbeliveable. The crowds start in Hopkington and they don't stop until Boylston st. I can't begin to tell you what the crowd is like. 26.2 miles of screaming people and they cheer for us like we are all elite runners. Boston was much more than I could of imagined. I rode to the race with a bunch of veteran Boston runners on there club bus and told them about the tough training and how I hate the cold and snow and I didn't think that I will ever run Boston again because it's to hard training in the winter and they just looked at me and said "just wait until you see the party thats called Boston". They told me to just enjoy the experience and once I realized that I was not gonna make 3:30 I slowed down and just soaked it all in. As soon as I finished I swore to run Boston again and I will beat the hills next time. For anyone that is dreaming of running Boston I say do what ever you need to do to get there because you will not be disappointed. MTA. I could go on forever but it just wouldn't do the race justice. I went to the expo. I went to the womens olympic trials.I went to the pre race pasta party with my whole family and I went to the post race party at the Roxy with my wife and it was all just awesome. I meet so many great runners and volunteers. I can't wait until next year.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

mikeymike

Where are all my race reports? Out of the dozens of you who ran this thing (over 50 maybe?) not one race report yet? Get to work, slackers. I want pictures and details. Sheesh.
        Fine. HERE.

Runners run

Shit. I am so cheap, I wouldn't PAY for the internet connection at the hotel. I WILL post and read these -- w/in 2 days. I am driving home and finally got a connection. Short version: PR met. Super A++++ of <3 not="" met.="" great="" race="" though.="" kinda="" vacation="" afterward="" (lot="" of="" driving="" {home="" is="" pittsburgh}="" i="" must="" have="" a="" problem,="" cuz,="" i="" don't="" "know"="" you="" peeps,="" but="" i="" missed="" you.="" i="" sadly="" can't="" spend="" tiime="" reading,="" cuz,="" i="" am=""></3>drinking at my sister's in the Poconos. Wish me lluck fishing tomorrow.
            I just got home and read this thread... it is a humbling, special thread. an amazing addition to the experience of running such a race... so many fantastic efforts from so many people. I can almost feel the euphoria and pain as each runner passes a 5k checkpoint. What a community! My lasting impression of this race will alway be running miles 12-13. When we came up on Wellesley, it honestly sounded like noise was being pumped in from a stereo or jet plane. And the students are only on one side of the course!!! My other thought is anger at myself. I tried to leave a lot in the tank for miles 16-21 (hills), did, and I still didn't attack. I think it takes immense guts to go out at goal pace or faster and try to hold on. I went slower and tried to make up time. It was the wrong decision and I'm angry for not giving myself a chance. Obsessor wrote to "dine on pain", I feel like I nibbled. What a mess the course does to your legs. It's two days past and I can't even fathom running, biking, walking, stairs...
            And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine
              Loads of updates...fun to read. My problem was that someone told me to stop at the aid station around 33 k and I thought they said weight station, so I picked up a bunch of dumbbells, barbells, hand weights, etc and carried them the rest of the way to the finish. Now I know not to do that. Race report cross posted from another site is: http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27137 Just to clarify, I'm not a Lance hater, I think he's an icon. I just don't want to be beaten! I passed him at M3 and he returned the favor at M21, looking very good. In hindsight I probably should have just run with him and enjoyed it a bit more, but what can you do? Thanks for the interest!
                Loads of updates...fun to read. My problem was that someone told me to stop at the aid station around 33 k and I thought they said weight station, so I picked up a bunch of dumbbells, barbells, hand weights, etc and carried them the rest of the way to the finish. Now I know not to do that. Race report cross posted from another site is: http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27137 Just to clarify, I'm not a Lance hater, I think he's an icon. I just don't want to be beaten! I passed him at M3 and he returned the favor at M21, looking very good. In hindsight I probably should have just run with him and enjoyed it a bit more, but what can you do? Thanks for the interest!
                Thanks PacerChris, I was wondering what was going on around 5k-6k. An absolute mass of people.
                And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine
                  Oh wow this was exciting to read! Had I known we were all being tracked so dedicatedly, I'd have cranked out another second or so. Eh, maybe not. I don't know that I had any more in me. Report also going up momentarily. Thanks everyone!
                  Len

Damn Yankee

It was really a blast to watch the race on TV and track the RA runners online. I really enjoyed it, it was so cool to monitor everyone's progress. Good job ladies and gentlemen, congratulations!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard

WOW, I'm just seeing this thread and am amazed at the exciting mile-by-mile coverage you all provided. Thanks for the support! I didn't realize Lifesabeach and I finished so close together. We really should consider getting "RA" posted on our shirts for the next event. congrats, Lifesabeach, you truly had a photo finish! No formal race report from me, but just a comment that, even though I never was at goal pace, Boston was more amazing than I could have imagined. It really had a huge small town cheer about it --- rather indescribable. I am particularly thankful to a young spectator around mile 25 that helped calm me down with some water and encouraging words as I sobbed on the side of the street because my right quad had cramped, making me think that I'd have to quit with just 1.5 miles to go. Somehow, her kind and supportive words and gestures calmed me enough to stretch it out and then get moving again. I was glad to see the finish line and get in line for a really good thorough post-race massage. Congrats to all the great races that people had and thanks to this amazing community.

2008 Goals: 10k < 44, HM < 1:40, learn to use my Garmin

It really had a huge small town cheer about it --- rather indescribable. I am particularly thankful to a young spectator around mile 25 that helped calm me down with some water and encouraging words as I sobbed on the side of the street because my right quad had cramped, making me think that I'd have to quit with just 1.5 miles to go. Somehow, her kind and supportive words and gestures calmed me enough to stretch it out and then get moving again.
                        That is GREAT stuff, you picked the right place to stop. Congrats!

E.J.
                        Greater Lowell Road Runners
                        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.