My Breakout Race (Read 503 times)

Hey all. I'm a junior in high school, and my 5k sophomore pr was 18:09. I wasn't too thrilled with that, so i set myself on a mission to get better. So far during this summer, i've run two 5k's, one at an 18:21 (but i had come back from a 2 week break, ran three days, then this race), then the next at a 17:14, a 55 second pr. Tomorrow, i race my next 5k, and my goal is for sub 17. I just wanted to know if these splits sound reasonable to do just that. 1 mile : 5:10 - 5:15 2 mile : 10:50 (5:40 - 5:35) 3 mile : 16:15 ( 5:25 ) Final : 16:50
    vengeancewins

Unless the second mile is hilly, you shouldn't start that fast and then drop off. Try to hit 5:25-5:30 per mile and kick at the end.
        A 55 second PR is pretty impressive Jake, nicely done. Best of luck with your race today.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Turns out the course was slower than i gave it credit for. I ran 17:11, and was the only one i know of to pr on it. So when our team goes to a half way decent course, i should be under 17. Cool
          Carps10

chill out and stop racing 5ks in the summer. build a base. nobody remembers a september champion anyway, it's all november/december. seriously, your body can not handle all out racing 12 months a year.
            Carps10

hahaha, i saw your log and you ran a 10:45 2 mile and called it a tempo, despite your pr being 10:30. a better tempo would have been a half hour at 6:20 pace.