Advice please.... (Read 430 times)

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately since I've been noticing the improvement I made over the summer months. I've been marathon training seriously since April. When I first set out on training, I wanted to run a 5 hour marathon (previous marathon time is in my signature). Now I have a pace goal of averaging a 12 minute mile for the whole race. I want to sign up for a pace group because I seem to run so much better. Either the 5:15 (if they have one) or the 5:30 group. What do you suggest? I think doing a 5 hour marathon right now would really be pushing it for me so that is why I switched to a pace goal instead. Here's what I"m thinking. This is my first time running a marathon for time and my second marathon overall. I'm leaning more toward the 5:30 group because I know for sure I could hang with that group the whole time. I figured that if I'm feeling that well at mile 20 that I could go ahead of the group if I wanted to. BTW, I'm running the San Anotnio Marathon November 16 so I still have a good 6 weeks to go of training. I do my first 20 miler in a week and a half and my second three weeks out from the race. I'm also going to be running a half marathon on October 19. The goal of that half is to run it at marathon pace/effort to predict my finish in SA.
    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
    xor

I'll see you in SA! My suggestion - go out with the 5:30 group. If you feel good in the teens, start to leave them behind. Gradually. UNLESS one of the things you value from a pace group is company for the whole race. If so, then the "speed up if you feel good" plan can hose you because it'll be hard to find a buddy that wants to leave them behind at the same rate you do.