Race Report - Marathon at Piney Point Maryland (Read 744 times)

Well I completed my first marathon today. It was a beautiful day in Southern Maryland and I ran the marathon in 4 hours and 44 minutes. The race was okay. I enjoyed the experience but my legs were tight, which leaded to cramping early. I planned on running the entire thing, but since my legs started to hurt early on, I had to run/walk the last 6 miles or so. My last training run was 22 miles, with no walking, so my nerves must have gotten the best of me today. But I was still very happy with my time. I saw ShanGen at the race. We actually ran together on and off for the last 6 miles or so. She was a great motivator and really pushed me at the end. Thank you ShanGen and it was great meeting you Smile Gwin
    2007 Races: 5K: 25 minutes, 10 seconds 10K: 50 minutes, 31 seconds 2008 Races: Half Marathon: 1:55:45 (ZOOMA, Annapolis, MD) 10-Mile Race: 1:25:24 (Piney Point, MD) 2009 Races: Marathon: 4:44:22 (Piney Point, MD)
      Dividing the marathon into equal halves gives you 20 and 6.2, and those 6.2 can be some dark and lonely miles. It's great that you had someone helping you through that last 10K, that's priceless. Nice job Gwin, congrats!

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

BeeRunB

Great first marathon! Congrats on finishing. Just think, you covered 26.2 miles! In just 4:44. Nice! Keep going! --Jimmy
          Congratulations - you're a marathoner! Hope you can put your feet up over the next few days and enjoy basking in your achievement!

Oh Mighty Wing

Congratulations!!! YOU DID AWESOME!!!!! It was nice to meet you as well!!
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dividing the marathon into equal halves gives you 20 and 6.2, and those 6.2 can be some dark and lonely miles. It's great that you had someone helping you through that last 10K, that's priceless. Nice job Gwin, congrats!
              Yup! Big congrats, Gwin--you're a marathoner! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Way to go! And what an awesome day. Congrats!!

- Anya

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Congrats Gwin and Shan -- and it was much warmer than anyone expected, so that made it pretty difficult for a lot of people too.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Kimmie

Congratulations you two!! I want to run this marathon some day. Shan. you need your own separate race report, OK?
                      Shan. you need your own separate race report, OK?
                      +1 And our friend Perry right above you shouldn't be in stealth mode, I know I'd like to hear about his 3:17:52 result. C'mon people, reports are not optional. Clowning around

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

As requested, LPRM 2009 report Smile My sister-in-law visited for the weekend to run the marathon, and brought her husband, eight-year-old daughter, and Jack Russell terrier; we had a family marathon weekend, and it was a *LOT* of fun. My most miserable period was just after the finish line. I felt nauseous and very sore, and it was painful to try to stretch, so I just hobbled around, trying to keep moving. Happily my muscles did relax or warm up or whatever, and recover. After I had a shower and ate some food (first brunch), I felt much better. A friend lent me her bicycle, and I cycled out to somewhere in mile 24 (cheering inbound runners as I passed them) and found my sis-in-law, and cycled in with her, which was fun (maybe more so for me, being on the bicycle). We went in for my second brunch, and my niece was wearing her black cape and waving a plastic sword, and chasing me, so the two of us ran all around the runners' tables. It didn't occur to me until now looking back, that we must have been somewhat of an odd spectacle. As for the race results, I crossed the halfway point at 1:38, whereas my previous & only HM was my relay leg of Rehoboth marathon at 1:39, so that was a 1min HM PR for me, and I improved my marathon PR by just over 7 minutes, and my splits were 1:38 & 1:40, so I didn't fade in the second half nearly as much as I thought I might. So overall I was quite happy with my time. I knew from the turnaround points that the lead woman runner was quite a ways in front of me, so I knew she was going to crush the course record. I saw a local runner in his car get rear-ended on the course; that was startling and sad, but he was unharmed. I chatted with several runners during the race, and quite a number at least briefly after the race, and I heard mostly good things about the course -- although a lot of people didn't like the second half much, compared to the lovely first half, and I think most people found the heat tough. I'm sure my previous two weeks of training in Okinawa at 70 degrees was a real advantage.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

Los perros son rĂ¡pidos!

Gwin - congrats! Way to go -- that's awesome!

2012= under-goaled

Bugs

Well DONE! That Shan is impressive too.

Bugs