Running with collapsed arches (Read 547 times)

Man in Tights

My list of running injuries continue to lengthen. A couple of weeks ago I started getting some serious pain on the top of my right foot. I couldn't walk without pain. But strangely I didn't feel any pain while running. I also noticed a slight inflammation on my foot. I went to my ortho who after some prodding and probing asked me to take an X ray. The X ray showed a clear case of collapsed arches. And some spurs on the bones caused by the irregular distribution of impact forces as a result of this. Luckily I can continue running but have to do a lot of exercises to get my arches back again. Calf streches, walking on the toes, on the heels and on the sides of the feet which is harder than one would think. Not to forget toe crawls in under water. I also have to wear arch supports while walking or running. They don't feel very good but I have no choice. Running unfortunately has it's downsides as we get older Cheers
      Well, sorry to hear about your string of injuries but it seems like you're doing what you need to do--strengthening the weak area. One thing I might ask your ortho guy is whether it's necessary to wear arch support now. My feeling is; it "supports" and not necessarily help you strengthen it which is what you're trying to do with all the exercises. I wear extreme of minimalist shoes when I walk around. Just curious, what kind of shoes do you wear and had you been wearing? Running would put your body a great deal of stress and, if not used to, the body needs to take gradual steps to adjust to it. Do realize that some shoes may increase the chance of getting injured. I found out some lacing system would help alleviate pain of your foot, particularly on the top of your foot. I do do "Lydiard lacing" but sometimes just simply skipping the sore area would help (Patti Dillon used to do that).

Man in Tights

Hey thanks for your feedback. I only wear Nikes. The Zoom Air or Moto series. I always choose shoes for extra support since much of my running is on hard surfaces like concrete.