De-garmining myself (Read 1541 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

All your runs are a good min/mile over your Marathon race pace.  

+1

Do you ever slow down! Shocked Exhaustion appears to be the problem. The garmin is a tool. Adjust it to meet your needs. Adjust the settings daily if need be.Good running and stay on the garminside.Smile

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

+1

My Garmin is used mostly to keep me in check, ie: slow me down, for most of my daily training runs. And even when I use it for pace-specific runs, like tempo, fartlek, or MP runs, it is just a tool to keep me on target and not something I am always chasing. If you are struggling to hit training paces more than every now and again, you are simply reaching to high for current fitness level and need to back off. In which case, the Garmin is doing a very useful thing for you, in letting you know this.

I have mine set to the HR screen and pay attention to that pretty much exclusively. I workout useing HR data mostly to help me keep my easy workouts easy. I don't care about HR too much when its a hard day, only easy and recovery runs. I will also have a screen set to display the average lap pace just to see how that is going when I do tempos and strides.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Double IPA Please!

+1

Do you ever slow down! Shocked Exhaustion appears to be the problem. The garmin is a tool. Adjust it to meet your needs. Adjust the settings daily if need be.Good running and stay on the garminside.Smile

so many people do this its not even funny..or those that do their easy runs too fast..if you look at their race paces, their easy runs are not that much slower..and then they wonder why..

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

I like having my gps on so that everything ends up getting logged. But sometimes you just have to not look at eat, and run as you feel, or else set yourself a maximum heart rate or maximum pace, and use the watch to ensure that you don't exeed that -  so you know you're taking it easy. 

+1

My Garmin is used mostly to keep me in check, ie: slow me down, for most of my daily training runs. And even when I use it for pace-specific runs, like tempo, fartlek, or MP runs, it is just a tool to keep me on target and not something I am always chasing. If you are struggling to hit training paces more than every now and again, you are simply reaching to high for current fitness level and need to back off. In which case, the Garmin is doing a very useful thing for you, in letting you know this.

Exactly.  I use mine pretty much for training purposes.  Like ccowden, I use it for my easy runs to keep me within that easy pace I've determined for myself (not any slower and not any faster), and use it when doing tempo runs or interval training.  I always have mine on during runs and even races.  I tend to look at it less during races since I run more based on feel during races, but still like to take a peek every so often to see how things are going pace wise.

During my marathon training, I showed up to my group run for our last long run of 22 miles.  My Garmin would not turn on.  After 2 years, it finally went out on me.  I was totally lost without it during that run.  Plus, since it was my last long run before my first marathon, I really wanted to run at my MP and keep track of my splits to see if that pace seemed doable.  I'm lost without my Garmin.  If it came down to my wife or Garmin, my wife would be out the door.

Scout7

Exactly.  I use mine pretty much for training purposes.  Like ccowden, I use it for my easy runs to keep me within that easy pace I've determined for myself (not any slower and not any faster), and use it when doing tempo runs or interval training.  I always have mine on during runs and even races.  I tend to look at it less during races since I run more based on feel during races, but still like to take a peek every so often to see how things are going pace wise.

During my marathon training, I showed up to my group run for our last long run of 22 miles.  My Garmin would not turn on.  After 2 years, it finally went out on me.  I was totally lost without it during that run.  Plus, since it was my last long run before my first marathon, I really wanted to run at my MP and keep track of my splits to see if that pace seemed doable.  I'm lost without my Garmin.  If it came down to my wife or Garmin, my wife would be out the door.

And this is exactly why you should learn to run without the technology.  Because it breaks, the batteries die, and it gets lost.  It's why they still teach basic map and compass skills in the military and Boy Scouts.

Hawt and sexy

SCOUT!

I'm touching your pants.

Lots of wise people advise training by time (not distance), and when you want to run harder, do so by effort (not pace).

+1

I don't exactly train by time but I do go by effort!  Because I do so I am able to enjoy my running/training sooooo (maybe a little too much lol)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

And this is exactly why you should learn to run without the technology.  Because it breaks, the batteries die, and it gets lost.  It's why they still teach basic map and compass skills in the military and Boy Scouts.

It's actually the training with it and learning what different paces feel like that helps me during races.

Double IPA Please!

+1

I don't exactly train by time but I do go by effort!  Because I do so I am able to enjoy my running/training sooooo (maybe a little too much lol)

your a watch checker..pffft..Big grin

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

your a watch checker..pffft..Big grin

I don't when I get to zone. I DO however do it alot when I'm running with someone ESPECIALLY when I'm running with Ken

Hawt and sexy

I know I ran with someone somewhere once, and she took my watch. I am trying to remember who it was....

I'm touching your pants.

I know I ran with someone somewhere once, and she took my watch. I am trying to remember who it was....

Wasn't me though I have taken someone's before a race of which I wasn't racing.

protoplasm72

You're supposed to enjoy running so if the Garmin makes it less enjoyable, ditch it.  If you are a numbers geek then wear it all day.  Maybe you can even get a portable machine to analyze the air you are exhaling.  That would make for an awesome graph in your log.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson