How many days a week do you run? (Read 5563 times)

As others have said, it takes time to adapt. I originally started with 3 days/wk (winter only because of summer field work) since that's what worked for me. I had some AT/PF issues early that I was getting over then re-aggravated (not running related, but mostly functional / structural issues with feet / ankles). The progression I used was to go from 3 days/wk to every other day, which I did for a couple years, iirc. I tried 4 days/wk briefly, but couldn't get a comfortable pattern but I was ok with 2 days in a row, so went to 2 on / 1 off (4-5 days/wk) and have done that for a couple years now. This past year I felt like I had reasonably adapted to it and could handle reasonable workouts with it. When still running on dirt, I can handle 3-4 days in a row, but have to compromise quality or duration to do that. I'm not sure if I can do that on soft snow, since that tends to take more out of legs and required more recovery in the past. I should note that my "off" days may be nothing or field work or trail work (hiking plus several hours somewhat heavy work) or walking (sometimes running segments) to errands around town. When you're looking at a schedule, the frequency of runs, duration of runs, and their quality make a difference in what you can handle. "Quality" includes both higher effort and hills. I could probably run more frequently if I ran shorter and flatter. But why sacrifice quality and duration for frequency? I'll usually do my frequency adjustments during recovery after summer races (late Sep to early Nov) and then build the duration and quality after that. Admittedly, I'm one of those folkswho likes to get away from the trailhead, so I get much more enjoyment from one 1.5-hr run than two 45-min runs. Also the trails farther from trailhead are usually, but not always, in better condition. For me, it's partly a matter of running to where there's desirable trail features, like certain hills or certain obstacles. I'm also one of those people who can't run only 30 min (except when -40F or 80mph winds). It's like going to a toy store and being yanked out shortly after the door is open. It creates severe mental stress for me.Wink And I'd probably have to run 2-3 times/day if I did that. My experience has also been that if I double up running with rest of life (like run a little, and do trail work for 4 hrs on same day), it's a recipe for disaster. But since hiking is part of my training for ultras, I don't sweat it. It's a matter of what works for you.
    "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Bugs

Nobby converted me to a 7 days/week runner, I love it, thank you Nobby! My legs are recovering better and my hard runs are now good workouts. HOWEVER, I had to learn to jog. I remind myself that those easy days are about stretching my legs, aiding in recovery so on the days I run HARD I can run really HARD. I no longer fret if those easy days are a 9:45 pace or an 11:00 pace. I've always struggled holding onto my fitness level post marathon. My miles go down because I can't schedule the long runs year around. But by running more times per week with some runs VERY easy, my miles are bouncing back up and am re-building my pre-marathon fitness level very quickly, something I have struggled for three years to figure out how to do. You will want to keep some days easy, and a couple days per week very HARD. Would be helplful if you made your log public.

Bugs

Did I convert you? Man, I didn't know I had such an influence! ;o) We need to regoup our communication. I'll e-mail you. Number 1, huh? I have a picture of my wife holding up F1 bib for Boston marathon 2006. That, of course, was for Reiko Tosa but I went to pick it up (as her agent) and my wife wanted to take a picture with it--we don't get too many opportunity like that!

Bugs

Did I convert you? Man, I didn't know I had such an influence! ;o) We need to regoup our communication. I'll e-mail you. Number 1, huh? I have a picture of my wife holding up F1 bib for Boston marathon 2006. That, of course, was for Reiko Tosa but I went to pick it up (as her agent) and my wife wanted to take a picture with it--we don't get too many opportunity like that!
          I have been number #1 four times. (Last name starts with A.) First time I won a metal being #1. Big grin Need to thank you formally. MTA: Next time I am #1 or even #2, I will have to mentally pretend that I am an elite. Wink

Bugs

Jill_B

I fly.

Sometimes I run every day. Sometimes I don't. Honestly, I usually go by how I'm feeling and how much time I have. That being said, I'm not all that fast and I don't run super long distances. But I do what feels good to me. Also, I've been running for a LONG time.

Bring it on.

HappyFeat

I feel better and run better when I go out every day. Life gets in the way sometimes though and if I have an appointment or other commitment after work, the run gets sacrificed. Also took up backpacking a few years ago and some hikes have been pretty strenuous so that I've been so sore I can't run the first day after I get home. So there's reasons I don't run every day - but it's not from the running.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.