Run the Monk 5k (Read 454 times)

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Run the monk is a relatively flat and fast course, with a field of 777. My goal going into this was sub 30:00, but with high heat and humidity, I was not overly optimistic going in. I had been fighting a stomach bug some this week and my training runs were slow. Rushed to the race from work and beat most of the parking chaos, and then got a .5 mile warm-up on the course. After working 12 hours that day, I felt a bit dehydrated, but couldn't find water right away, so just stuck to the shade in a nice person's front lawn and stretched. I set myself up at the back of the pack, which made the first mile pretty interesting. After about .25 mile I finally had enough space to maneuver and started rolling along at a comfortable pace. Mile 1 finished strong and I was definitely on track for my sub 30:00. Mile 2 began what became a parade of people in their front yards with hoses helping cool the runners. About midway through the second mile, my stomach became very sour. I had two options--walk some and forget about my goal, or just ignore it and run. The debate continued, and I kept running hard. At mile 2, a volunteer shouted out that we were on a 30 minute mile pace, so I pushed through the stomach issues. The cramping continued to worsen, but I pushed faster knowing there was water at the end (probably a smart person would have taken water at mile 2's water stop, but I didn't want to risk a colorful finish photo). When I rounded the final corner and saw the clock was at 29:35, I pushed to the end of the race and entered the chute at 29:58 (chip time). Long story even longer, not a fun race at all, but the crowds were great and I tried to thank as many of them and the volunteers I could. Ran through a lot of pain, and crashed last night. Thanks to everyone for the great advice on hydration going into this--this PR is all because I had your help. Chris

Chris
    PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Congratulations Chris!! Glad you made your goal! Smile
        Congrats, way to get 'er done! What's behind the race name?

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Marathonmanleto

Well done Chris--5k's suck! Like getting burned by a match vs. longer race of the slow roast variety! Rock on my friend.
          celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Congrats, way to get 'er done! What's behind the race name?
            Not sure the full history here, but they have a gentleman dresed as a monk running at the back of the race. Others may know more of the history. It's a great fun run with beer at the end. Thanks everyone for the congrats!

Chris
            PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k