100 miles (Read 1082 times)

amarrin1

hi everyone, i am a high school runner and want to move up my mileage to 100 miles a week. that is my goal for next year. i have seen and heard about people doing it but then also getting hurt a few months later when it catches back up with them. If anyone has any suggestions on what i should do. please let me know. Thanks adam.

Why is it sideways?

What does your coach say about this idea?
        you don't need to run that much in high school, i don't care what anybody else says. you're body probably can't handle that. you will most likely get hurt, unless you've been running high mileage, say at 60-70 mpw for at least a year and half already. even then, i don't think it would be smart. what i think would be wiser, is to keep the mileage closer to 60-70, but increase the pace. you are only running a 5k in high school. trust me on this, going that high wouldn't be beneficial.
        amarrin1

i do around 50 a week. but when summer comes around boost up lil more maybe 65 mpw would be better. 100 is an extreme now that i think about it.
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

My son's school is ranked #2 in our state, and the coach had the boys work up to 60 mpw at the end of the summer. Now they're doing about 50 mpw depending on their race schedule. Good luck!
              Agree with everyone else...don't even THINK about trying to run 100 miles a week in high school. If you are lucky enough to run in college, your coach would probably frown on it then too. To be able to handle 100 mile weeks, you need to have a few years of solid mileage as a foundation AND your body needs to be fully grown, I think.
              PRs: 1 mile-4:46 (high school track), 2 mile-10:10 (high school track), 5K-16:26 (college track), 8K-28:26 (college XC), 10K-33:59 (road race), HM-1:17:13

Why is it sideways?

Look, if you're thinking about trying it, don't do it because some message board goon like me told you to do it. Talk, in person, with someone who has been there before, who knows or at least can understand your history, your strengths and weaknesses, etc. Like your coach. If your coach isn't any good, then email the local college coach and talk to him. Or find the guy who always wins the local road races and talk to him. If I was your age, I'd try it out for a week and see how it felt. Why not? You only live once.

Feeling the growl again

Nobody here can tell you that if you run 100 miles a week you will be sub-15, or conversely, that you will almost certainly get injured and burn out. We don't know you. No one knows what it will do to you. I'll preface this by saying that I've run as much as 131 miles in a weekk and have averaged 100-110 mpw for extended periods. This started when I was about 23 and I did it often until I was 28. If I could go back to college, the biggest change I would make would be to run more miles. We only ran 40-50 mpw in college and I was not good. I did not get good and go on to post a 10K time 30 seconds faster than my former university's current record until I consistently ran over 70 mpw. That was like a platform from which I could go on to bigger and better things. In my individual case, the increase was rather quick. After college, I quickly went right up from 40 mpw to 60 mpw. Within a year after that I was doing 70-80 mpw and dabbling up to 100 mpw. Another year and I was often hitting 100 mpw. So 2 years from 40 mpw to frequently 100 mpw -- and going from 2200 miles in a year to 4000 miles in a year. It is IMPORTANT to note that when I did this, I had already been running consistently for a decade -- since age 12. My joints, muscles, tendons, and ligaments had already had time to strengthen and my form was good. In high school, you don't have time in the bank to develop this toughness. So you are more LIKELY to get injured, but not in any way guaranteed. Have you had any injuries? DO you consider yourself injury-prone? People talk about how fast you can get running 100 mpw. That is true. What they typically ignore is that if you currently run 50 mpw, you have a LOT to gain from consistently running 60 mpw, then 70 mpw, then 80 mpw, etc etc. There are gains at all levels. You WILL NOT be as fast running 100 mpw six months from now as you would be running 100 mpw a year from now after spending time at intermediate levels on the way there. In other words, you are increasing the risk of bad things happening (injury, burnout) while giving up some of the gains you could have gotten with less risk. I would recommend working your way up there and see how it goes. Give you body the time to acclimate. If you do 50 mpw now, work up to 70-80 mpw by next summer. Then up to 100 mpw the summer after that. I did my 131 mile week cold-turkey when I was in the 70-80 mpw range. It hurt. A lot. I was always sore, tired, and slow. I likely got little out of those last 30 miles for the work I put in. As for not running 100 mpw in college, if you are running for a GOOD program you will likely be running close to that during cross country and track if you run the 5K/10K. Not-so-good programs get people who showed less talent in high school, and are therefore not going to train them as hard. Good programs also have depth and can afford to injure people on high mileage going for the fastest 7 guys possible, while smaller schools need everyone healthy every week. If you really want to see how good you can be, you need to escalate your mileage in a SMART manner and see what you can handle. You will see best results at the highest mileage that allows you to remain uninjured and recover between workouts. This will differ by individual -- I had a teammate who ran 14:53 and went to Nationals on less than 50 mpw. He could have been a lot better, but he got injured easy and could never do the miles to improve that time. I wish someone had told me all this when I was younger. I could have run 3-4 minutes faster over 10K in college and been comeptitive there, rather than running my best times at age 28 when the team aspect was long gone. 100 is just an arbitrary number. Run smart, not arbitrarily.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Spaniel, thanks for your post. DS16 is a junior and his 5K XC PR is 16:39. He is willing to work as hard as it takes to go sub-16, so I'll show him what you wrote. He's NOT injury prone (knock on wood), so he could probably ramp up a little. It's so much fun to see him run. He has a chance of being state champ next year. Do you have any suggestions for how he should look at colleges? It needs to be a school with a strong science/engineering program, since that's his interest, but his dad and I have NO idea how to find out about running programs. Thanks!
                    buck919

Spaniel -- A little off topic, but... When you were (or are!) running 100 or so mile weeks, how many "hard" workouts were you doing and how many easy/recover miles were in that 100? The reason I ask is that I'm increaseing mileage very slowly in preperation for a spring marathon and I I am into the 70-80 MPW range, running 2 hard workouts per week (speed work or a stamina workout), one long run per week (14 - 18 miles) with the rest easy/recovery. I'm likely going to cap the MPW around 90-95 after base building. I've been injury free for a year or so and have seen steady improvement in my 10K times off of mileage in the 55-65 MPW range during 2008. I sometimes wonder if I could see bigger gains by adding a third "hard" workout, but I'm tentative about doing it. I've tried it a few times without problem, but it hasn't been consistent. I know that each runner is different, but in your opinion in terms of risk/reward, is it worth adding a third hard day? Is two hard, plus one long run with rest easy sufficient? Is there much to gain from a third hard day? Any advice/input you've got is greatly appreciated.

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel, thanks for your post. DS16 is a junior and his 5K XC PR is 16:39. He is willing to work as hard as it takes to go sub-16, so I'll show him what you wrote. He's NOT injury prone (knock on wood), so he could probably ramp up a little. It's so much fun to see him run. He has a chance of being state champ next year. Do you have any suggestions for how he should look at colleges? It needs to be a school with a strong science/engineering program, since that's his interest, but his dad and I have NO idea how to find out about running programs. Thanks!
                        Nationwide? Certain geography? Wants scholarship or just to run? So many things to consider. 16:00 in HS is not going to get you a D-I scholarship or national recruiting. It's hard to say. I chose my school based on academics and that I could walk on was a bonus. Look up collegiate cross country training in NCAA and NAIA and familiarize yourself if a geography is in mind. Look up the coaches, contact them. There are rules how much contact they can have with your son while he is in HS so it's hard for them to reach out too much. I'm partial to Michigan Tech, it was good for me, but their running program is not stellar but they graduate good engineers. I always think academics should be primary unless you're a world-beater but that's just me.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel -- A little off topic, but... When you were (or are!) running 100 or so mile weeks, how many "hard" workouts were you doing and how many easy/recover miles were in that 100? The reason I ask is that I'm increaseing mileage very slowly in preperation for a spring marathon and I I am into the 70-80 MPW range, running 2 hard workouts per week (speed work or a stamina workout), one long run per week (14 - 18 miles) with the rest easy/recovery. I'm likely going to cap the MPW around 90-95 after base building. I've been injury free for a year or so and have seen steady improvement in my 10K times off of mileage in the 55-65 MPW range during 2008. I sometimes wonder if I could see bigger gains by adding a third "hard" workout, but I'm tentative about doing it. I've tried it a few times without problem, but it hasn't been consistent. I know that each runner is different, but in your opinion in terms of risk/reward, is it worth adding a third hard day? Is two hard, plus one long run with rest easy sufficient? Is there much to gain from a third hard day? Any advice/input you've got is greatly appreciated.
                          Typical work back when I was a real runner Wink M - easiest day; 8-12 miles very easy (6:40-7:00 pace) T - AM - sometimes 4-6 miles easy 6:45-7:05; PM intervals totalling 4-5 miles of volume with a total workout of 9-10 miles W - AM - sometimes 4-8 easy; PM, easy 8-10 miles R - AM - occasionally 4-6 easy; PM medium-long workout 10-14 miles with 4-8 miles of at-pace work (tempo, long fartleks, hard progression etc) F - AM - sometimes 4-8 miles easy; PM 8-10 miles easy Sa - 10-12 miles; sometimes easy, sometimes some moderate effort depending on rest of week's workload Su - long run 16-22 miles; typically 4-8 miles of fast finish/tempo incorporated Total for week - 85-110 miles So Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday were good hard efforts. Saturday could have some work too but I never perfected working in a real 4th workout. I did 3 workouts consistently, and that worked well of me. You just have to try it and see how the recovery works out for you -- if you can do it, you'll reap rewards. To easy into it, reduce the volume on the Tues/Thurs workouts and add back as you acclimate to it. At the beginning of the season, I'd start with 3 miles of intervals but move to 4 quickly. 5 miles was only in the last few sessions before a key racing season when I was in excellent shape and over 100 miles. If we add up all the paced efforts: Tuesday - 4-5 miles Thursday - 4-8 miles Sunday - 4-8 miles Other - 2-3 miles (fast finishes on Sat or other easy runs feeling good) Total - 14-24 miles So out of a 100-mile week, only 15-20% of the miles were really good efforts (marathon paced or faster, I don't believe in doing much work in the dead zone between marathon pace and easy pace).

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Spaniel, thanks for your insight. That's kind of what I figured - go for the academics first, and then think about running. He's got a great attitude and work ethic, so he will do well anywhere, I imagine. He's much more disciplined than I was at his age.
                            JimR

When I look at anyone doing that much volume I have to ponder the grind of those miles day in and day out. That's the hard part. I can do what I'm doing now without too much issue, my normal morning routine and an additional 4-5 easy miles when I can at noon. But for 100 milers where you're doing 2-3 hours of running every day. Yeesh.
                              DoppleBock

I agree with Spaniels 1st post. I have run 4800 / 4900 miles in back to back years with a little slacking in January. For periods leading up to marathons I ran 12-16 weeks at an average of 115-120 with peak weeks 130+. Things I learned as I bumped mileage - Each time I tried to bump mileage the 1st time I failed, cycled down a couple weeks and the 2nd time I was successful. This was from 70 to 90 to 100 to 110+. Same process every time - 1st my body rejected the idea - 2nd time accepted. It is a fine line between getting the mileage up and still hitting your quality workouts. There are times because your mileage is high that workouts go poorly - too many of these and cycle back down for a couple of weeks. I always tried to hit 100 mpw in my 1st run of the day and the stuff > 100 mpw with extra daily shake out runs. Running high mileage takes a lot of time and committment to nutrition, hydration & sleep. You often have to give up or lessen other "Fun" activities. I know many people that can get by not eating / drinking / sleeping well for 50-70 mpw that can not handle the higher mileage. Some poeple are better served running more quality / less miles and others better to give up a bit of quality and run more miles - We are an experiment of one. Finally - Running a lot of miles goes not make you a good / great runner. But I believe that it can help you acheive results closer to your genetic potential. for me, I genetically will always be a mediocre runner, so running lots of miles makes me the best mediocre runner I can be Big grin

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !