Twin Cities Marathon (Read 541 times)

My first so I got an easy PR today, woo! I'll lazily paste a blurb I about it from my blog, but long story short I managed to just sneak in under my goal, and I'm excited to do it again next year, confident I can shave time off. I was dropped off at the Dome at about 6:45, made my way inside convulsing with shivers (it was still a bit cold). Found a place inside and sat my ass down for 30 minutes or so before getting up to wander again, peeing whenever I could. I peed some more and lined up at the starting line at about 7:40, sporting some sexy cotton gloves, and a garbage bag with head and arm holes to cover my t shirt and shorts from the rain (which conveniently did not start until just after the race did so I had ditched it by then.) After the start it started to sprinkle a little bit, then pour, hard. Everyone was cheery about it, it was very pleasant when there was no wind, which thankfully was most of the race. A kind old spectator assured us there were warm Jacuzzis waiting for us at the finish line. My goal time was 3:30, roughly 8 minute miles. I consistently hit 7:45 per mile for the first 17, many times asking my watch what the fuck was up as some of them seemed slower. During miles 16 and 17 I felt my legs start to knot up a bit, either I wasn't drinking enough or I had tapered too much going into the race I reckon. My mile times climbed to 8 per mile or higher, I still had enough in the bank to hit 3:30 but I knew even this slower pace would be hard to keep as I hit the hills starting on mile 20. Fuck Summit Avenue. There was quite a nice loud crowd as we got onto it, which packed an impressive punch of noise. After the rush of noise dies down I realized there was a reason for it, miles 20-23 are one long hill. It's not much to look at it but it is about the worst place on the race to feel it. Somewhere in mile 20 my legs buckled and I nearly collapsed, I knew I was starting to run on fumes. Miles 22-26 all had times in the 8:30 to 9:00/mile region, which still seemed favorable to joining some of the people I saw in the ambulance. I (in blue) managed to stay alive and standing long enough to see an end to the death march the race had become. During my sprint to the finish I managed to pass all of those people you see in front of me due to an impressive display of manliness on my part. I finished with a chip time of 3:28:14, official time of 3:31:28. I stumbled down the finishes chute barely able to stand and loaded up on chocolate milk, bananas and water. I got my shirt and medal and found my parents and aunts and made it to the car shivering cold. I walked stiff legged and had an embarrasing time negotiating the curb and stairs. I turned the heat to full, took off my soaking shoes and socks, marvelled at my impressive blister that had just formed, and cuddled up in a blanket as I enjoyed the ride home.

Another Passion

Congratulations! Nice job on your first marathon.

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

pitrunner

Awesome job! Congrats on finishing your first!
        redleaf

My goodness! congrats!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Dave

Fantastic run, emuporium. That's a great time on a tough day and a tough course.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Congratulations, marathoner! You're a tuff one.

A Saucy Wench

Impressive marathon emuporium!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

nice run - we probably passed each other several times as i finished at 3:29:18. the weather was miserable and at one time i was ready to quit when it started to pour, but the more it rained the louder the crowd (and the runners) yelled and i was even more motivated. i was shooting for 3:30 to make Boston and just eaked it out.