Is a 3:30 mile possible? (Read 1326 times)

"stryvynsky: Please do not abuse the site. And yes, I know about your other accounts..." In message board jargon this is known as ownage.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

http://www.eis2win.co.uk/tex/news_bannister060504.aspx
      But what price a 3:30 mile? According to Dr Greg Whyte, EIS National Physical Sports Science Coordinator, it could be achieved in the next 30 years… Q: Can El Guerrouj’s current mile record of 3:43:13 really be broken by over 13 seconds? Mathematically, if you look at the historical rate of improvement, we can predict – through the use of a linear regression model – that the 3:30 mile will be broken between 2026 and 2041. In reality, there are certain conditions that may limit this. Q: That’s a massive improvement. What sort of speed would you need to run to break the 3:30 barrier? An athlete would need to maintain a velocity of 17.1mph throughout the race – to give you some idea how quick that is, you would need to run 800m twice in 1:45 seconds. Given that Wilson Kipketer’s 800m world record stands at 1:41:11, you can imagine how difficult that is to achieve. Q: There must be a limit though? There is undoubtedly a limit to how fast the mile can be run and a 3:30 mile is probably approaching that limit. It’s defined by physiology – the ability of the body to produce energy and to balance the production of that energy with the ability to effectively expel the heat produced. We’re never going to get down to zero. If you take the 100m as an example, male sprinters are probably reaching 26 or 27mph at most, a speed which is sustained for just ten seconds, so a mile is never realistically going to be run at that sort of pace. Q: If that’s the case, what accounts for the improvement? Presumably we haven’t changed physiologically? No. To understand the level of improvement, it’s important to understand the impact that coaching science, sports science and sports medicine have had. At the time Bannister’s successful attempt adopted a new style of training and, for the first time made use of coaching science. The continual investment in sports science and sports medicine since, and the technical advances including all-weather tracks, lighter footwear and clothing which helps the body expel heat more effectively, helps to understand why we’ve been able to improve. However, because we’ve been doing those things for fifty years, we’re probably close to reaching the optimal in running events like the mile.
        Sorry Eric, was just trying to have a little fun. Didn't mean for it to get out of hand or to offend anyone. I'll retire stryvynsky.
        "On most days, run easy. On some days, run hard. But not too hard."
          I have read that the 4 minute mile was reached at least 100 years ago. Of course it was on straight roads, probably downhill with wind at back. Running on a track is much more difficult since the wnd will be in your face 50% of the time and you are running on a curve 50% of the time not to mention the added distance you run because you cannot run the shortest distance. I don't think we will ever see 3:30. That is under 52.5 seconds per lap. The 800 meter record is 1:41.11 though so stranger things have happened.
          mikeymike

I don't think we'll see it in our lifetimes. There how's that for deferring opinion? I'm not sure 3:30 is humanly possible. Hell, I'm not sure 3:43 is humanly possible and that's already happened.

Runners run

Imminent Catastrophe

What about the 2 hour marathon?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

mikeymike

What about the 2 hour marathon?
                Again not in our lifetime. There are only a handful (well more than a handful but you get the idea) of guys who can even break 60 minutes for half marathon. And the world record is barely under 60 minutes (58:30 or something) so nobody's really close enough to give it a go. Also the rate of progression of the marathon world best has slowed dramatically and would indicate that it ain't gonna happen any time soon.

Runners run

JakeKnight

A sub-2:00 marathon - the greatest feat in sports history? Debate and discuss.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------