Kick user message (Read 878 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

When a user is kicked out of a group, it could be convenient if there were some record of which mod kicked out the user. Just an idea.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Tramps

Can we also have a count of how many times an individual has been kicked out?

Be safe. Be kind.

A Saucy Wench

Swamp should be excluded from this recording.  That many messages could bog down the server.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

Or maybe we could do away with the cutesy jokey joke of kicking out users, which has either infected the new LNO group... or hasn't.  I can't freaking tell.

Which is why it would be a good idea to keep track of who is kicking, who is banning.  Honestly, I think if someone gets kicked out, it should generate a pm to that person that says "you were kicked out of group X by admin Y for reason Z".  Yes, that's kind of a pain.  And maybe that would cut down on the shenanigans, which ceased being funny in about 1998.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that we should drop the kick option.  I think it is important... but it is supposed to send a specific message, I think.  Instead, it seems to generate a ??? thread in the group when the user rejoins and wants to know que pasa.  And anytime this has been an issue, it seems to have involved the ha ha joke of booting people out of the fiefdom because the shit is funny.  Or something.

Why is it sideways?

I agree with dr. lopez.

eric :)

I've been thinking about this, including discussing it with Mrs. eric Smile.  Interestingly, she strongly oppose it, not that I listen to her anyway ;-)  Her feeling is that if you're constantly booted from a group, maybe you shouldn't go back in.

I don't think sending a message to you when you're kicked is all that hard.  Probably just a few lines of code.  A few more if the admin is required to provide a reason.  I'm still debating if this feature is worth adding.  I keep having a feeling that this may not be a good idea, but I can't come up with the reason.

An alternative solution would be to log all admin activities within a group, such as:

- when the owner grants/removes admin privilege to a user

- when a user is kicked

- when a user is banned/unbanned

The info would be accessible only to admins, which should also achieve the same goal as receiving a message in your case.

xor

Setting aside my "inform the user" request for a second.... why on earth would it be a bad idea to log who booted whom from a group and when it was done?  Right now, "why did I get booted?" and admin x publicly asking "hey, who booted user y, and why??" seems to be high comedy to some folks... the lack of any evidence makes for a strange game in the joke case and an even stranger game in the serious case.  Not that we've really had a "serious" case except for maybe one dude in lno.  But still.  Why would it be bad in any way whatsoever to log it?

Tramps

You know I was joking, right?

Be safe. Be kind.

Setting aside my "inform the user" request for a second.... why on earth would it be a bad idea to log who booted whom from a group and when it was done?  Right now, "why did I get booted?" and admin x publicly asking "hey, who booted user y, and why??" seems to be high comedy to some folks... the lack of any evidence makes for a strange game in the joke case and an even stranger game in the serious case.  Not that we've really had a "serious" case except for maybe one dude in lno.  But still.  Why would it be bad in any way whatsoever to log it?

Eric's idea would at least give the Admin or Owner of the group the info so they can decide if this particular person should even have admin rights or not. If you get booted several times then you can pm the Owner and they can figrure out whats up without it being public. If you out the kicker, they may not want to boot members for legitimate reasons if they have to publicly debate it every time someone is sensitive to being booted..

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

A Saucy Wench

We have had one serious case.  Where it was done for petty personal reasons and not as a joke and it was a PITA.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

"run" "2" "eat"

i have been repeatedly kicked out of the same group - every few weeks or if i am lucky, a few months, and i keep going back in. why? because i can see who has admin power and i am fairly certain the same person, or maybe couple of people, periodically boot me. i don't know why they'd think this is funny, but i am like - whatever, dude. i don't think they'd do it if they were held accountable by any type of report -- i think they are getting off on anonymous abuse.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

What's more interesting is the amount of traffic that is generated in a discussion on who, what, when, where, why a person is kicked out of an internet running forum.  Does it really matter?  Who effin' cares?  Granted the 'kicker kicking the kickee' out of the house has become more of an issue with the RWOLgees' arrival, but just how big or more important, how important is this issue really?  Wasn't this site originally created for peeps who wanted to use the training log?  Rumor has it that some who have been using the log for several years had no idea a forum even existed.  While this may or may not be true, again, live and let live.

xhristopher

I manage a linkedin group with over 8000 people and boot people all the time. I don't know if they get a message and have seen no evidence that tracks the fact that I was the one giving the boot. From what I see it works pretty much like this place with the exception that I have the opportunity to ban. Perhaps this place allows admins to ban. I dunno. I don't have a shield to hide behind.

Feeling the growl again

Her feeling is that if you're constantly booted from a group, maybe you shouldn't go back in.

Pretty much my solution.  I'm not sure why people think it's funny or need to be that petty (I've seen both cases happen).

Perhaps just the Owner needs to see what is going on or receive the message when booting happens.  That way if there is abuse of the function and a complaint the Owner can see who the Admin is and determine if the action is legitimate or abuse/stupidity.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Pretty much my solution.  I'm not sure why people think it's funny or need to be that petty (I've seen both cases happen).

Perhaps just the Owner needs to see what is going on or receive the message when booting happens.  That way if there is abuse of the function and a complaint the Owner can see who the Admin is and determine if the action is legitimate or abuse/stupidity.

Thats what she I said, let the owner of the group know about it. If the shield bearing f-tard is being an ass over and over again, they probably don't need the admin powers.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life