fatigue verses lack of Nutrition or Hydration (Read 603 times)

When you have a run that doesn't go how you hoped how do you figure out what went wrong? Do you think you can accurately tell the difference between lack of nutrition and being fatigued?
    xor

Lack of nutrition is not hard to figure out. Keep a diary of what you eat. If that's the cause, you'll know.

I know what you are saying but that wasn't quite what I wanted to discuss... can you tell a difference in the feel of the run?

A Saucy Wench

generally yes. if I havent been eating enough I will be starving for a couple miles before I fade badly. If I am just tired I'll fade before I feel hungry.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

With poor hydration, I'll reach a point where I just can't run anymore. No amount of willpower will get my legs to keep going. This has happened a couple of times to me, once on a long run and more recently in the Chicago Marathon. Both times, my legs stiffened up and I walked uncomfortably to the end. On several occasions, I think I've been on track for that kind of a run, but didn't go far enough for a complete breakdown. On those runs my legs just feel heavy and like they're slamming onto the ground with each step. I can feel that I'd have to stop if the run were much longer. When I'm fatigued, I may feel lousy, may be a bit slower and wish that I wasn't running, but I've never hit a point where I couldn't find what I needed to finish the run or even give a burst of speed. You'll see this when a runner, well past the wall, sprints the end of a marathon or races their last leg of an endurance relay. Fatigue is more of a barrier that can be overcome mentally, to a degree. I've never taken the time to correlate nutrition with run quality. I know I've eaten badly and have never faulted that for an aborted run, so I'd guess it's more like fatigue.

-------------------------------------
            5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
            10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
            1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
            Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Do you think you can accurately tell the difference between lack of nutrition and being fatigued?
              That assumes one of the 2 must be the issue... and well... there are other factors that play in there.... like sleep... stress levels... I will say this though... I have experienced what ennay described during some longer after work runs... now if I am going to run 9+ I eat a 3:00 snack. I am not sure fatigue is a mental barrier... but I call it "new miles"... like you have been running a lot of 6-8 mile runs and you go out and run 14... and well the last 2 miles stunk... well those were "new miles" and you should probably have felt fatigued during that section. Also if you ran hard the day before... or ran 3-4 days in a row in the not really easy.. .but not hard range you can start to feel worn out...
                If you're running "new miles", then no, fatigue isn't as much a mental barrier. There is still a mental aspect to it though in that you can HTFU to get through it up to a point; I don't believe this is the case with poor hydration. However, I was referring more to your everyday run that just isn't coming easy. I've felt fatigued on 4 milers and glided easily through 20's.

-------------------------------------
                5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07