just thought this was cool (Read 1028 times)

redleaf

A couple friends of mine are running a local marathon. It's their first and they are very very excited. They signed up with the company doing the chip timing so their facebook posts automatically update at the checkpoints.

So I check facebook and I see:

"has reached the 21.1km point of the Mississauga Marathon at: 09:43:57.10 in a time of: 2:10:19"

I just thought it was pretty cool.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Lia's Daddy

That is pretty neat. My wife got several automated text messages from my last marathon.
      "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have never seen this.  I wish every race did this.  Very cool!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

This would be cool:

Facebook update: A.P. is at the halfway point of the 5K and is trying to decide how bad it would be to just drop out. What if he cut off the course toward the start so people wouldn't see him walking back...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

A Saucy Wench

heh you could sign up for automated messages at boston, but they didnt go out.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

redleaf

This would be cool:

Facebook update: A.P. is at the halfway point of the 5K and is trying to decide how bad it would be to just drop out. What if he cut off the course toward the start so people wouldn't see him walking back...

lol not sure chips can read intent...

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

she runs like a girl

But it would be really cool if they could. Some of my friends ran the Mississauga HM and I got the messages as well. Kinda makes me want to run a HM again...

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"
                keeponrunning

It would sometimes be good if they could.  That way, if you're thinking of slowing or walking, whoever is there cheering you on can tell you to HTFU (although they may use the polite form)

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have never seen this.  I wish every race did this.  Very cool!

I know one race that will likely never do this.

MrH

I know one race that will likely never do this.

Or you could provide alternate updates.

"Runner #104 did not reach 10k mat. Suspected monkey attack."

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.