Phedippidations world wide half marathon challenge! Anyone up for this challenge? (Read 840 times)

Life is Good

From every continent, all over the world at the very same time, someone will be running with you! Join a truly global community of fellow runners in a free, non-commercial event that celebrates the joy of running, with the challenge of a race! Share your local experience with a world-wide audience of fellow runners in the Phedippidations World Wide Half Marathon and "Kick the Couch" 5K road race! Think Global, Run Local?" The World Wide Web, and the Internet have drawn people all over the world together, and dissolved barriers to communication and isolation. Runners, are by nature, social creatures who seek to share their experiences on the road, compete with each other, and establish friendships that transcend their individual beliefs, cultures and localities. The sole purpose of the Phedippidations World Wide Half Marathon is to remove the barriers to camaraderie, with the intention that like minded athletes who harbor this passion for running, could share a single experience of competing in a world wide event. The Phedippidations World Wide Half Marathon is a free, non-commercial event where everyone is invited to register, train and run with us in the spirit of friendship. This unprecedented event is for runners of all abilities. New runners who are just starting out are invited to sign up, train and run a five kilometer event called "Kick the Couch 5k" with new runners all over the world who may never have thought it possible to rise off the couch and experience an active way of life. Through this website (www.WorldWideHalf.com) you will be able to register for the event (Half Marathon or Five Kilometer races), choose and follow an online training schedule (through www.BuckeyeOutdoors.com) and run your choice of an official road race, or your own personally organized event on or about the weekend of October 11th and 12th. As you participate, you will feel that you are part of a community of friends all over the globe, who will support you, encourage you, and are sharing this experience with you as you run your event locally. Join us in this exciting and real global event. We look forward for you to share your piece of the world. The Phedippidations World Wide Half Marathon (13.1 miles / 21.1 Kilometers) and Kick the Couch 5k Race ( 3.1 miles). www.worldwidehalf.com

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between

Ringmaster

I'm signed up!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
      Mile by Mile

JakeKnight

Pretty cool. Thanks!

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Scout7

Why no marathon challenge? Considering that's the weekend of the Baltimore marathon....
            That's kinda cool. We could have a RA team...

Life is Good

Why no marathon challenge? Considering that's the weekend of the Baltimore marathon....
              I'm not sure y? but the guy who started this challenge might be able to answer your question, you can check him out at www.steverunner.com

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

Warrior dash 2012

Life is Good

That's kinda cool. We could have a RA team...
                Good Idea that would be fun!

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

Warrior dash 2012

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...will I be up to running any substantial distance a week after my marathon? Maybe I should commit to the 5k. I could run 3 miles that weekend, I think...I'd hope, at least.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

I've done this the last two years, and it's a great idea. Marathon runners are not excluded, if you are running a full marathon just take your fastest split for the half, or else take your finish time and halve it. It doesn't matter, just do it, it's not a big deal. The whole point is, let's just all join together and run together in early October.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Life is Good

DID ANYONE ELSE PARTICIPATE IN THIS EVENT THIS WEEKEND? TELL US YOUR STORY! Big grin I Celebrated this event by actually running the 13.1 instead of the 5k, I am training for the Atlanta Thanksgiving day half and this just happened to fit nicely into my training schedule. My family and I camped on West point lake. I began my run on Saturday Oct 11,2008 at 8:45AM, I felt really good as I ran through the campground and across the Lake dam access road, as I reached my 5k mark my Garmin said I was at 22:43and I was well pleased..I was good until mile 9.5 when I began to have pain in my left foot, just behind my small toe which I had broken nearly a year ago, I felt like giving up but listening to all the well wishes on my MP3 (Phedipidations) podcast I refused to give up, I had to walk a lot the last half of my run, and My time was slower than I would have liked 2:40:32...ugh Thanks for the Run all my fellow runners it was fun! (BTW my foot is still hurting a bit but I think it was the shoes that gave out on me..I'll have too wait and see)

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

Warrior dash 2012

Ringmaster

Ouch! Jamie, I hope it was just the shoes! I did the WWHM by myself too--like you, it fit well within my overall training schedule as I'm running a half marathon in mid-November, hoping to break two hours for the first time, and I kind of wanted to see how the training was going. I used my regular long run route. I had a friend join me for the first seven miles; we kept a nine-minute-mile pace, which is much faster than our regular runs together. She said she'd drop back if she had to, but she did a great job keeping up until she sent me off with a shout of encouragement for my last six. It felt tough holding the pace for those last six--of course in Florida it's still 75 at 6am and I discovered I can't actually eat SportBeans when I run that fast (thank goodness I ran this as a simulation race!), so I wasn't as "fresh" as I would have liked. Still ran 1:55:53 for the distance--an overall 8:50 pace compared to a 9:20 in my February half--so I was glad to see my training might pay off in November--fingers crossed! Thanks for the rr, Jamie. This is a great event--think global, run local!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                        Mile by Mile

Life is Good

well done! wow 8:50 pace that's awesome I'll be happy with 11:00 ( that sucks I know but I'm old) Tongue the website for the race was pretty cool with the virtual goody bags and the ability to actually down load a number and a race certificate of participation. once again congrats! and good luck in November

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

Warrior dash 2012