a couple of "new user" questions (Read 971 times)

Hi,

I have recently converted to RA from DailyMile, which has been an extremely positive experience.  (I made a perl script to convert from DailyMile's CSV export format into RA's CSV import format, if that can be of any use ... I get the idea that this is an ASP environment though...I'm sure it would be a trivial job to recreate it in .net but that's not really my deal).

So far I have two minor questions.  I've tried to search for them but am still unclear.

-Is there any way that we can enter our Max Heart Rate anywhere, and have our heart rates for our workouts displayed as a percentage of max?  I am assuming that this feature is likely here, and that I just can't find it.  If it's not here, I can just make a greasemonkey to do it.

-When I upload a run from GPS, the run type comes up as "Default".  Is there a way to set this to default as something else?  The vast majority (currently all) of my runs are of type "Easy", and I have to go in when I import every run and change this.  If it came up by default as "Easy", most runs would just be a one-click.

Thanks, and this is far better than any other running log that I've found.

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

Question 1: Your best bet is greasmonkey.

Question 2: Settings>Manage My Activities>Run

I can't seem to figure out how I did this, but I think I changed the Default name to Easy. This will at least help you discover new things.

EDIT: This post will help you.

If you edit the run type you can delete the default type. But, you cannot do that if you have runs listed as default.

Thanks!  I have deleted the Default type ... I will test tomorrow and see if they come up as Easy ... which would be logical because Easy has a code of 1.

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

eric :)

big boy running,

Which max heart rate are you referring to?  Your personal max heart rate, or the workout's max heart rate?  The personal max heart rate is intentionally left out because most people don't know this value and there isn't a safe way to determine it so it doesn't offer much value.  You can specify a max heart rate for the workout but it currently doesn't calculate the percentage.  It can be easily added.

There are plans to add default workout types to ease GPS import but I haven't gotten around to it yet.  I will try to add that soon because I too find it repetitive to always having to change the workout type.

I mean personal max heart rate.  I have trained based off of percentages of max heart rate for quite a while and I understand that this is a pretty standard method of training.  It's worked pretty great for me at least.  I got my max heart rate # from a field test using the method recommended in Pfitzinger's book, he never said anything about the field test being dangerous, it's just a couple of fast intervals.  If there is some kind of liability issue with RA indirectly suggesting that runners test their max heart rate I certainly understand that though.

I think my issue with run types will most likely be solved now that I deleted the default type, if not I will just rename whatever type they come up with as easy, and change the type of all my existing easy runs to that type (I can do this simply via script), then delete the original easy. 

Don't worry about feature requests from me unless it's something a bunch of other people are asking for -- I can get the %MHR stuff done just fine via greasemonkey.

Thanks for the great work Eric (I'm assuming you're one of the programmers based on the last bit you wrote).

CyclingAHEAD until 2012

Thanks for the great work Eric (I'm assuming you're one of the programmers based on the last bit you wrote).

eric is the supreme entity of this whole place, the man behind the curtain.

You'll ruin your knees!

eric is the supreme entity of this whole place, the man behind the curtain.

But that is only if you believe in a "supreme entity" versus the whole this is all a big accident thing...

And yes, he knows what you will log/post before you do.Evil

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

But that is only if you believe in a "supreme entity" versus the whole this is all a big accident thing...

And yes, he knows what you will log/post before you do.Evil

The big bang wasn't an accident.