Downloading from GPS: (0%) (Read 750 times)

I recently had a problem with corrupt data on my Forerunner 405 where I could not upload older data to my computer. I ended up having to do a reset of my Forerunner, deleting all my data. Since then I've had trouble uploading my data to Running Ahead. When I try to upload, the message "Downloading from GPS" appears and it sits at 0%. I usually never have to wait more than a couple of seconds. Perhaps there is a folder on my computer that also contains the corrupt files? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Computer Stats:

Windows Vista 32-bit (SP2)

Firefox version 3.0.12

2010 Goals: Run 1500 miles Sub 22 minute 5K Sub 37 minute 8K Sub 1:45 HM Complete a marathon
    eric :)

Which version of the plugin are you using?  One of the recently released plugin by Garmin has a problem with upload.  Have you tried installing the latest plugin?
        I did get the latest plugin to see if that would help me when I had corrupt data. Is there somewhere that I can download a plugin that will work?
        2010 Goals: Run 1500 miles Sub 22 minute 5K Sub 37 minute 8K Sub 1:45 HM Complete a marathon

Version 2.7.1 is no good.  If you have a more recent version, then that's not the problem.  I'm not familiar with 405 to know what's going on, but I do know that this is a purely a Garmin problem.  I have found that doing a hard reset (holding mode and the reset button for several seconds) tends to fix the problem.
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

<dork>

Technically speaking, shouldn't it be saying "Uploading from GPS"?

</dork>

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Get Lost :)

Technically speaking, shouldn't it be saying "Uploading from GPS"?

Nope, the computer is downstream from the watch. You always upload TO and download FROM.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Nope, the computer is downstream from the watch. You always upload TO and download FROM.

The computer/website is considered the host -- the ultimate destination for the data.  You upload to a computer from a connected device, the same way that you upload your photos from your camera.  People often incorrectly say download in this scenario.

However, you download music from the iTunes music store. You download the music from your computer to your iPod.

If you get a firmware update for your Garmin, you download it to the device.

If your transfer photos from an SD card to your computer, your are uploading it.  But if you are transferring said photos from your computer's photo library to an SD card, you are downloading them.

Eric even correctly refers to it as "Upload from GPS" and "Upload from File" on the GPS import tab.  I was half-jokingly pointing out the inconsistency. 

From Wikipedia.

Uploading, is the sending of data from a local system to a remote system, such as a server, or peer, with the intent that the remote system should save a copy of whatever is being transferred.

And yes, this is an extremely dumb semantic discussion.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Version 2.7.1 is no good.  If you have a more recent version, then that's not the problem.  I'm not familiar with 405 to know what's going on, but I do know that this is a purely a Garmin problem.  I have found that doing a hard reset (holding mode and the reset button for several seconds) tends to fix the problem.

Hmmm, I have 2.7.3, so that shouldn't be the problem. I also tried the "hard reset" with no luck. The hard reset you mention is the one that does not delete my history correct? I know if you release the start/stop button for 3 seconds after depressing the two together for about 10 seconds, it will clear all your settings and history.

The computer/website is considered the host -- the ultimate destination for the data.  You upload to a computer from a connected device, the same way that you upload your photos from your camera.  People often say download in this scenario.

However, you download music from the iTunes music store. You download the music from your computer to your iPod.

If you get a firmware update for your Garmin, you download it to the device.

If your transfer photos from an SD card to your computer, your are uploading it.  But if you are transferring said photos from your computer's photo library to an SD card, you are downloading them.

Eric even correctly refers to it as "Upload from GPS" and "Upload from File" on the GPS import tab.  I was half-jokingly pointing out the inconsistency. 

That sounds reasonable to me. (And possibly correct.) Though with Eric's thing, I definitely would have considered that "Download from GPS." And I'd use "Import from File," since the file is being parsed presumably and translated -- as opposed to a simple transfer of data .... oh, I don't care enough to keep typing. Smile

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

oh, I don't care enough to keep typing. Smile

Nicely done.  I (and the rest of RA) wishes I had your restraint earlier.

Woo hoo! It finally worked. I didn't think that the hard reset did anything at first, but I ended up trying again after a few minutes and it uploaded (or downloaded ) very quickly. Thanks Eric. Carry on debating your minutiae, gentlemen.

Carry on debating your minutiae, gentlemen.

Heh.

Is it too late for me to chime in?

bach13: I'm glad that it worked.  I'm not exactly sure why that works.  Of the few Garmin engineers that I asked, they didn't give me a possible explanation either.

Fellow geeks: whether it's download from or upload to depends on the perspective.  Here's the data flow:

GPS -----> computer ------> RA server

The direction of flow is always relative to your computer.  Since data is coming from the GPS, you're downloading it.  The same thing applies to iTunes or the SD card.  After the download is complete, you're sending it to the RA server, or uploading.

99.999% of the users don't care how the data ends up on the server.  To them, the data flow is more like:

[GPS, computer] -------> RA server

where the GPS and computer is a single unit so I phrased it as upload from GPS.  I was more concerned about having everyone understand what it does than whether it's technically precise.

Is it too late for me to chime in?

bach13: I'm glad that it worked.  I'm not exactly sure why that works.  Of the few Garmin engineers that I asked, they didn't give me a possible explanation either.

Fellow geeks: whether it's download from or upload to depends on the perspective.  Here's the data flow:

GPS -----> computer ------> RA server

The direction of flow is always relative to your computer.  Since data is coming from the GPS, you're downloading it.  The same thing applies to iTunes or the SD card.  After the download is complete, you're sending it to the RA server, or uploading.

99.999% of the users don't care how the data ends up on the server.  To them, the data flow is more like:

[GPS, computer] -------> RA server

where the GPS and computer is a single unit so I phrased it as upload from GPS.  I was more concerned about having everyone understand what it does than whether it's technically precise.

Way to type all those words!!