What keeps you motivated when the weather goes to hell? (Read 1202 times)

phzzzzzzzzzzz

Ummmmm, I live in Southern California.... I have no idea what you people are talking about. Big grin

jfa

No problem here either , Joe Smile

Runner

I was upset today. I started my 12 miler in an absolute downpour. The path I was running on had water rolling down it like crazy and my feet were drenched. The problem was when the rain stoped about 20 minutes in and I no longer had the path to myself. It was such a great feeling running and not seeing anyone else on a path that a lot of people go on. At the end of the run the sun even came out! Then I had to deal with the usual cycling families w/ the 3 wide snail pace. My girlfriend and I started the run expecting to have a HTFU kind of day because it was really coming down, but then it turned off nice.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

run4fun8910

well what are we going to do now that spring is almost upon us. I have really been enjoying all the running in single digit icy days or 20 degrees F and blizzard conditions. It made me feel immortal. I liked that on my out and backs that there was only my foot prints in the snow. I felt like I owned the trail. Soon the weather will be warmer and all the snow birds will be back. I will just be 1 drop in a sea of runners. Will I still be special? I won't have my co-workers look at my in disbelief when they find out that Yes I did go running this morning. Will I have to retire my super hero outfit?
          Short term goal: 5K Long term goal: half marathon. Stay injury free. Shawn
          invisible

You must always keep your super hero outfit on under your street clothes, just in case. Smile
            90 percent of the game is not giving up.
              I have been missing a lot of runs lately, I did have a bad cold/flu in January, then a heel injury, but even with those excuses i havce not done well. I seem to get a good streak going and stay motivated for a week or ten days, then I lapse into "not tonight, I'll go tomorrow". When I'm out runing I think of other runners in my age group doing tough workouts and how they are going to beat me if I don't work just as hard as they do. No gym membership or treadmill to help out. come on spring! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Top 'O the World!

You must always keep your super hero outfit on under your street clothes, just in case. Smile
                & release your inner child! Big grin
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                invisible

& release your inner child! Big grin
                  ...and pity those that keep it in bondage! Smile
                  90 percent of the game is not giving up.
                    I got a doctor's note excusing me from February this year. Big grin I took an attitude adjustment last week and decided that it was all in the framing. So, if I can't go fast because the sidewalks and roads are impassable, then I go slow but longer in the deep snow along the river. That builds strength, which isn't what's on the schedule on speed days, but still contributes to what I've got to dig into on race day.
                      I live in Toronto, where we have had record snow and below zero temps this winter. To make matters worse no one is clearing their sidewalks. I don't race so running is not a competitive thing for me in that way. What has kept me motivated was the idea that if I am setting personal bests at various distances while running on frozen snow pack in a blizzard then I can only imagine what I'll be doing in the spring. Just last week we had a severe winter storm that was supposed to come in late in the evening so I went for a 12k in the afternoon only to discover about halfway through that the storm was early. People were sliding by in cars and looking at me like I was insane as I kept running past them. Of course, that did make a little more sense when I got home and realized that I had a nice, thick beard of snow.
                      And who am I anyway?
                      Just another fat jogger, evidently.