Shoe question (Read 799 times)

Question to the OP.......How many miles do you put on a pair of shoes?

You mention you bought two pair several years ago, have now been running for six months and am now looking for their replacement model. The foam in your shoes break down over time as well as from use. The hip/knee pain may have been from worn out shoes.

When I started running again a few months ago, I had terrible shin pain. I wear a nuetral shoe and have been fitted for a neutral shoe. The shoes were not causing my shin pain, my workouts were. I believe a combination of my body weight, lack of running time and running too fast were all contributing to my shin pain. I slowed down and ditched the "No pain, No gain" mentality. I also used a 2% incline when I ran on a treadmill, that seemed to help.

Also, like a different poster noted, did the shoe store staff watch you run, walk, or just look at your arch?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Question to the OP.......How many miles do you put on a pair of shoes?

You mention you bought two pair several years ago, have now been running for six months and am now looking for their replacement model. The foam in your shoes break down over time as well as from use. The hip/knee pain may have been from worn out shoes.

When I started running again a few months ago, I had terrible shin pain. I wear a nuetral shoe and have been fitted for a neutral shoe. The shoes were not causing my shin pain, my workouts were. I believe a combination of my body weight, lack of running time and running too fast were all contributing to my shin pain. I slowed down and ditched the "No pain, No gain" mentality. I also used a 2% incline when I ran on a treadmill, that seemed to help.

Also, like a different poster noted, did the shoe store staff watch you run, walk, or just look at your arch?

I think I put about 200 miles on my last pair of shoes and I have about 200 on these.  

Yes, both times the store staff watched me run outside.  One of them watched me walk barefoot too   

The shoe thing was confusing...sorry.  I bought two pairs of shoes about 2 years ago.  I just switched to the new pair in June or so of this year because I was ramping up to my marathon training and wanted to start on fresh shoes.  The hip/knee pain hit me around the beginning of Sept. after I'd been training (seriously) for about a month.  It lasted about a week and then went away after I stopped the shuffling.  I really think that's what was causing the knee/hip pain (the shuffling, not the shoes).  The first time I experienced the hip/knee pain (about 5 years ago) it started when my long runs got over 12 miles.  I know I was shuffling my feet back then too because DH pointed it out to me (thanks DH).  

So, I think the shin pain can be attributed to shoes that were too stable and the hip/knee pain can be attributed to laziness.  Apparently shoes can't make up for a lazy tired runner...