ugh been slacking! sickness etc... (Read 63 times)

Do any of you run when sick? I'm not dying but it's been 1 thing after another.

currently looking at it as a set back/rest week or 2.

excited to get back out there, but thinking I should heel up before pushing it and getting re-sick.

I'm generally a positive optimist, but sometimes it seems it's just 1 thing after another. ready for this downer streak to rebound.

300m- 37 sec.

runmichigan

Some general rules of thumb about running while ill:

1. If you have a fever (typically 100 or above) you should not run.  Work on staying hydrated.

2. If you have difficulty breathing deeply you should not run.

3. If you feel lightheaded or dizzy you should not run.  You do not want to end up laying beside the side of the road.

4. If your illness causes you to alter your running form you should not run.  This is more likely to happen because of injury than illness.

5. Stick with easy runs while ill.

Rules of thumb are meant to provide general guidance.  However, as always your mileage may vary (YMMV) and you may feel better after running with an illness.

I would suggest trying a slow run/jog for about 10 minutes on a safe course or treadmill.  If you feel the same or better after 10 minutes, you probably can continue.

Some general rules of thumb about running while ill:

1. If you have a fever (typically 100 or above) you should not run.  Work on staying hydrated.

2. If you have difficulty breathing deeply you should not run.

3. If you feel lightheaded or dizzy you should not run.  You do not want to end up laying beside the side of the road.

4. If your illness causes you to alter your running form you should not run.  This is more likely to happen because of injury than illness.

5. Stick with easy runs while ill.

Rules of thumb are meant to provide general guidance.  However, as always your mileage may vary (YMMV) and you may feel better after running with an illness.

I would suggest trying a slow run/jog for about 10 minutes on a safe course or treadmill.  If you feel the same or better after 10 minutes, you probably can continue.

+1 Well said.

PR's: Mar - 2:44;50  1/2 Mar - 1:16:59  10 Mile  58:03  10K - 33:30 (Back in High School)

On the comeback trail.