For 1 week, 13 year-old swaps his iPod for a 30-year old Walkman (Read 1031 times)

ymmv

I thought you were a professional writer.

Dude.

Like an old boss once said: "We need to hire more people who can write good"

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Somewhat related - I work at a university - a student I know once asked an administrator where the delete key was on a typewriter.

Well, there was the Correcting Selectric - it had the correcting tape that would cover up the typo.  Does anyone remember Multilith mats?  They were bright blue with a clear sheet over them.  You had to use this funky, strong-smelling stuff to make corrections.  I remember my mom typing on them when I was a kid.  She did typing for law students and professors, andand she paid me to proofread the papers.

A Saucy Wench

I actually still have both a walkman and a diskman--somewhere.  Although I think all my cassettes are gone.  I do not have an ipod or other mp3 player.  Just call me dinosaur.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I got a new iPod with an FM tuner.  I'm about to go out on my first run with it.  What the heck do you do with all the wires??  Why do they give you two miles of wire, anyway?

The shirtless wonder

I got a new iPod with an FM tuner.  I'm about to go out on my first run with it.  What the heck do you do with all the wires??  Why do they give you two miles of wire, anyway?

Most mp3 players that have FM tuners use the headphone cord as an antenna.  To get a good signal you need a decent sized antenna.  You may find that you'll get better reception if you do not coil up the wire.  But then you might trip over the cord if you don't coil it up!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

That's interesting, Greg!  It actually worked out OK.  I held the little remote/FM tuner in my hand with the wires coiled loosely, and the reception was great.  Much better than with my old Walkman, which would get staticky a lot.  I wasn't a runner when I used the Walkman, so this was the first time I've ever run with music.  I'm hooked!  I will be one of those annoying people who tunes out everyone, I guess.

I was still running with a discman until last year when, for the third time, I accidentally hooked the cord on my hand or something and the CD player fell off the little "dash" on the TM, hit the belt, and shot off the back.  It's a wonder no one was injured.  I thought the MP3 player would be safer.

DH bought a truck this spring, it's a 1996 toyota, base model, and it has a tape player.  We were both a little saddened when we realized that not only do we not own any tapes any more, we're not even sure where to buy them.  I've been scouring yard sales.

2009 Goals:
                PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                Run a 10K
                Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                Complete my first Sprint Tri

I was still running with a discman until last year when, for the third time, I accidentally hooked the cord on my hand or something and the CD player fell off the little "dash" on the TM, hit the belt, and shot off the back.  It's a wonder no one was injured.  I thought the MP3 player would be safer.

DH bought a truck this spring, it's a 1996 toyota, base model, and it has a tape player.  We were both a little saddened when we realized that not only do we not own any tapes any more, we're not even sure where to buy them.  I've been scouring yard sales.

Nostalgia or not cassettes really are poop. You need something like this Adapter.