Race help (Read 854 times)

Think Whirled Peas

I actually checked your log before seeing your last post and thought to myself "damn!!!! He was SO CLOSE!!!!" I heard about the weather in a coupla other forums, so all things considered it was still a great race for you. Hopefully this gives you the confidence to know that you'll CRUSH the 2 hr time in your next HM. Nice job!!!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Thanks. As disappointed as I am for leaving my goal out on the course. I for sure gained some confidence. I know next time I will be looking to finish well under. New goal 1:50:00!!!

Think Whirled Peas

Thanks. As disappointed as I am for leaving my goal out on the course. I for sure gained some confidence. I know next time I will be looking to finish well under. New goal 1:50:00!!!
        That's a solid goal for your next one (have one planned yet?) and you got a ton of great advice in this thread. I didn't reply earlier but watched it w/interest. I have the same goal for my HM coming up in May (Indy Mini-marathon). You just missed your goal, but it looks like you didn't lose the lesson! I'm willing to bet you'll be KILLING the last coupla miles in your next race thinking about those 8 seconds. Sub-2 or bust!!!!!

Nice job, out there tcoyle. Disappointed for sure, to miss by 8 seconds. I agree with PoQ that this should give your the confidence to crush it next time. Also, I would advise you not to use the time/distance thingy on your Garmin during races and just let it record laps on auto or manual.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Think Whirled Peas

Also, I would advise you not to use the time/distance thingy on your Garmin during races and just let it record laps on auto or manual.
            Yep, totally agree there. Great tool for training runs, not so much on race day.

Yep, totally agree there. Great tool for training runs, not so much on race day.
              Yep lesson learned. I was to focused on pace and not how my body felt. The whole time I kept slowing myself down so I did not burn out. Next time I will let the emotions of the day push me through those last 3 miles instead of being so reserved. As my first long race, I learned a ton. I don't have any planned as of yet. I am going to do some easy weeks for a while. In May I start my training for the Chicago Marathon. I will for sure look for another 1/2 before then to practice my race strategy. My longest "Real Race" was only 5k's. So I have learned now what my body will do when pushed for longer distances at race pacing.
              runnerclay

Consistently Slow

GREAT RACE. GREAT TIME FOR YOUR FIRST HALF MARATHON. RAIN DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/