fudging the numbers (Read 191 times)

jfa

Maybe this is a cry for help.

Misery loves company. We're all idiots.

AMKinCO

Actually, I legit have OCD - been taking Luvox since 1997 and Wellbutrin since 2000.  The streak ending would bother me more than it should because seeing 30-30-30-30-30-30-30...has gotten me out the door.

Maybe this is a cry for help.  Shame me enough and I won't move those 7 miles back.  I'll bask in a 37 mile week and begin again.  I wonder what the consensus would be if I started the necessary 7 mile run during the "real" week, but didn't finish until 12:15 AM the next day.

I don't begrudge people their quirks.  Some people obsess over a Garmin saying 3.93 on a course they know is 4 miles.  Oddly, this doesn't bother me at all when it happens to me.  I upload and that's that.  But for some people, those little discrepancies are maddening.

Most important thing is I am fitter than I have been in years and I just love clicking off the miles.

Haha!  This is me.  I have learned that my Garmin says, for example, 5.0 but when it uploads to Strava it is ALWAYS ~0.1 shorter at 4.9 and Strava also rounds down that bastard. So 4.99 is 4.9.  Thus, I now always push to 5.1 or 5.2 if my goal is for 5 that day just to make Strava prettier.

But hey, I get an extra 1/10th of a mile out of it.

One thing I really like about using Strava is that it really forces accuracy if you use a direct from Garmin upload.  I really do push myself harder.  I don't fudge this RA log (since it's manual it's easy to) but there's no incentive to since no one but me is seeing it and you can't fool yourself.   But I agree, if the mental 30-30-30-30..etc.  is what is working for you I say fudge away friend.

I think this is my first thread ever to make it to a second page.  I have arrived.

Yeah, well...sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

npaden

I have a streak going of 100 miles each month and I've never thought I could take some miles from one month and move it to another.

I have pounded out some miles late at night on the last day of the month to get me to 100 miles though.

I really like the flexibility of the monthly streak because you aren't affected as much by life getting in the way with travel, vacations, etc. that could really mess up a weekly minimum streak.  I often will end up with a few weeks each year with zero miles and then have to make it up the rest of the month to make up for it.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)