Garmin 405-Toubleshooting (Read 2775 times)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

The screen went blank.Have you experienced this problem?

G/S Solution.

Solution: Connect to charger to get it to come on.  Disconnect.Hopefully it stays on. Start timer . Let it drain completely. Recharge.

Garmin Support:

If you connect the Forerunner 405 to the charging clip does it turn back
    On and begin charging? If not, please keep it connected and press the
    two buttons on the right side of the watch, at the same time.

You may wish to buff the contacts on the back of the device. This will
    help clear off any discoloration, build-up, or transparent film that can
    develop. To do this please use a Q-Tip and a diluted cleaning solution.
    Once this has been done, use a Q-Tip dampened with just water to help
    clean off any residual chemicals from the contacts. Give the contacts
    time to dry. Then connect the device for a couple hours to charge.

If the device will remain powered On, please make sure the firmware is
    current.

Please be sure your unit has the most current firmware version on it?

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Why are you letting it completely drain?  Discharging was good for Ni-Cad batteries, but is bad for Li-ion, which is what most modern cell phones and Garmins have.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Why are you letting it completely drain?  Discharging was good for Ni-Cad batteries, but is bad for Li-ion, which is what most modern cell phones and Garmins have.

It was down to 43% and would not charge.

GS:

Have you ever let your battery completely drain and then recharged the unit? You may need to do this and then let the unit set on the charging clip for one additional hour after it shows the battery charge complete.

Added:

I guess the complete battery drain is is a repair/ fix solution.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

henryc

It was down to 43% and would not charge.

GS:

Have you ever let your battery completely drain and then recharged the unit? You may need to do this and then let the unit set on the charging clip for one additional hour after it shows the battery charge complete.

Here's another thing, hold down the 2 buttons on the right until it resets, then try charging it.  If it keeps giving you trouble, try shooting it.

Really? I was told to let it drain completely once a week. Although I think this advice comes from several years ago. So this is what I do with my laptop, me cell, and my Garmin and have been doing for years. Maybe I should stop then Wink

EDIT: I've just looked at the battery university (LOL), which actually states they don't need regular discharging like NiCad batteries. I guess this is where the myth originated, because I am old enough to remember them (Just)! Anyway, so because of the limit of the amount Charge/Discharge cycles, not fully discharging it increases the amount of cycles. So it actually can improve the battery life by not fully discharging it. (So if i leave my laptop permanently connected to the power, as I normally do, LONG BATTERY LIFETIME!). And thanks Wink

Never forget the man who mistook his wife for a hat!

Ποτέ δεν ξεχνά τον άνθρωπο που μπέρδεψε τη γυναίκα του για ένα καπέλο!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Really? I was told to let it drain completely once a week. Although I think this advice comes from several years ago. So this is what I do with my laptop, me cell, and my Garmin and have been doing for years. Maybe I should stop then Wink

EDIT: I've just looked at the battery university (LOL), which actually states they don't need regular discharging like NiCad batteries. I guess this is where the myth originated, because I am old enough to remember them (Just)! Anyway, so because of the limit of the amount Charge/Discharge cycles, not fully discharging it increases the amount of cycles. So it actually can improve the battery life by not fully discharging it. (So if i leave my laptop permanently connected to the power, as I normally do, LONG BATTERY LIFETIME!). And thanks Wink

Yep...and my hubby and I have proof of this.  A few years back we had the exact same cell phone model, bought the same day.  He charged his religiously, every night.  I charged mine maybe once every 3-4 days (only when it actually got really low) and it would accidentally discharge once a month or so.

My phone battery started to crap-out after about a year.  He had that stupid phone for about 3 years and battery life was never an issue.

I see lots of folks talking about their Garmin batteries dying after a year or less...and a lot of them don't seem to keep them on the charger when not in use and only give it a full charge once it gets low.  Seems like that could be a definite factor.  My Garmin started to get buggy around the 2.5-3 year mark, but still held a charge like it did brand new.

~ Sarah Kay

Yep...and my hubby and I have proof of this.  A few years back we had the exact same cell phone model, bought the same day.  He charged his religiously, every night.  I charged mine maybe once every 3-4 days (only when it actually got really low) and it would accidentally discharge once a month or so.

My phone battery started to crap-out after about a year.  He had that stupid phone for about 3 years and battery life was never an issue.

I see lots of folks talking about their Garmin batteries dying after a year or less...and a lot of them don't seem to keep them on the charger when not in use and only give it a full charge once it gets low.  Seems like that could be a definite factor.  My Garmin started to get buggy around the 2.5-3 year mark, but still held a charge like it did brand new.

That's the kind of info I need! My cell is doing great after 3 years, but that's because the insurance co replaced it about 6 months ago haha! I'm going to go put my garmin on it's charger immediately. Cheers guys and gals Wink

Never forget the man who mistook his wife for a hat!

Ποτέ δεν ξεχνά τον άνθρωπο που μπέρδεψε τη γυναίκα του για ένα καπέλο!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's the kind of info I need! My cell is doing great after 3 years, but that's because the insurance co replaced it about 6 months ago haha! I'm going to go put my garmin on it's charger immediately. Cheers guys and gals Wink

Sweet!  Glad to save someone having to deal with potentially costly device issues that are easily avoided. Smile

~ Sarah Kay