2017 Sub 3 Marathons...and beyond! (Read 403 times)

iamdisappoint

Weekly Summary
    Monday, Oct 23, 2017 thru Sunday, Oct 29, 2017

<tfoot> </tfoot>
    Day Miles Pace Description HR Egain Link
    Mon 10.4 7:44 Morning Run 136 (70%) 114 strava
    Mon 1.2 7:43 Afternoon Run 137 (70%) 39 strava
    Mon 3.8 7:55 Afternoon Run 137 (70%) 88 strava
    Tue 14.1 6:50 3E, 8x(5m 265-270W, 3m jog) 153 (78%) 278 strava
    Tue 6.5 6:50 2E, 3 257-261W 159 (82%) 147 strava
    Wed 11.4 8:05 Morning Run 138 (71%) 547 strava
    Thu 13.5 6:49 3E, 4x(12m 257-261W, 3m jog) 158 (81%) 262 strava
    Fri 11.1 7:25 fall came back 141 (72%) 423 strava
    Sat 23.2 6:41 14 steady, 55m 247-257W 155 (79%) 547 strava
    Sun 10.5 7:58 Morning Run 136 (70%) 446 strava
      105.7 7:14     2891  

Tuesday's 8x5m was going great until the 7th rep, when I got a hamstring/sciatica thing down my right leg. Had to struggle through the last 1.5 reps, but the results were good. The Tuesday PM run was like the previous ones, a struggle at the start before things opened up.

By Thursday's 4x12m I was having a hard time getting my stride to open up due to the piriformis / hamstring thing on the right side. That was a struggle to get through, and I could feel my stride becoming more cramped. 

I was feeling moderately better by Friday, but stupidly over-ran those filler miles. Coach referred to some of the power bumps in that run as "easy run power excursions", which about sums it up. 

This, along with the hamstring/glute thing and good old cumulative fatigue, was likely a contributing factor to yesterday's LR failure. I was supposed to get 55m (with an option of going up to 60m if I felt good) at 247-257W, but my stride was falling apart so I cut it at 50m. A good measure of how messed up my legs were is that I was apparently hitting 255W, but that was translating to a good 5-10s/mile less than it has been over the last month. 

This week will end up being a reasonable test of whether or not training by power is just better (for me, at least). I say that because I hit most of the W targets, but the paces were strictly worse than they were last week. The book explanation for this is that my legs are sufficiently trashed that my running effectiveness (RE, the ability to translate power into speed) was down due to cumulative training load. This *should* mean that I get all of the benefits of hitting the W targets, and I should see the speed when RE goes up due to the taper freshening up my legs. We'll see.

After some negotiation, I'm taking a zero day tomorrow, then will be attempting to run about 75 in the remaining 6 days of the week. One last special block on Wednesday, then the 5k on Saturday, with something like 15 after the 5k. I'll be happy with anything faster than 17:30 in the 5k, and thrilled with anything under 17:15.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/5795019

Marky_Mark_17

JMac- We'll see!!  There's a new, dead flat, half marathon here in Auckland on April 8 (the day before my birthday).  I'm lining that up as my next major goal race - as long as the wind is negligible it's a potential PR course.

Andres- yeah to be honest it's pretty hard for me to judge how much difference the humidity made as - apart from some cruisy runs in Noosa, I haven't run in those sorts of conditions in probably 6-7 months.

Slingrunner - welcome!

Swim - that sucks about the injury and missing Richmond.  Hope you get it all sorted and recover quickly.

IAM- good luck for the 5k!!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Iam - awesome week.

Swim - guttered for you as your training has been awesome.

Andre - nice week and races. Have you done much 5k speed recently? Maybe you were a little out of speed practise? Really nice half given you raced the day before.

Mark - Congrats, you were a little slower than I thought you would be. But I would love a 2:57, so well done.

Me - have ran about 11 miles total over the last three weeks. My house has had a ton of work on it, and it goes on the market Wednesday. My left leg is getting better, in hindsight I didn't realize how injured it was. Left knee (biggest issue during my cycle), quad, shin and achilles have had substantial releasing.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

weatherboy80

Mark:  Stellar debut and congrats on the sub 3.  Way to gut it out when things went dark.  Don't like races either that bring the faster FM and slower HM runners together.  I struggled with that issue a few years when I was right on the edge of BQ'ing.  Enjoy the recovery and you certainly have faster times ahead!

Welcome Sling!

Swim:  Hope things come back around soon.

Andres: Nice week and a great effort at those two races this weekend!  To me that 1:22 HM is pretty impressive after a 5K!  5K will come around soon enough.  It's still a hard distance to get right and you can improve in a relatively short span with a few weeks to months of sharpening work with the speed.

IAM:  Another monster week!  Don't be afraid to rest up and come back stronger.  Some weeks are just better than others ...

For me:  Another pretty solid week.  Cut the mileage ever so slightly down to the mid 70's versus the 80+ for the past few weeks to start to taper a bit back for my tune-up HM next weekend.  Assuming the weather is somewhat cool (by my standards) I'll give it a go to see where I am in this latest cycle.  Would like to pace myself (in good weather) right around six flat or high 5.5X to see how that feels about right now. The 5K (PR at 17:12) I ran last night was a good sign though since I was coming off 16 miles well faster than GMP in the last 6 days.  Think I'll taper even further this week with just a light workout of a 3 X 1 mile come Tues or Wed to see how my HMP feels right now.

As for the 5K race I paced myself from the gun a bit more aggressively than earlier this summer which helped.  Was around 5:27 (but slightly downwind) or so for first mile split.  Funny thing is that my Garmin Watch went dead a few minutes before the start and then kept rebooting every few seconds until it literally came back up 30 sec before the start.  The GPS signal then was off for the first mile saying I was only running around 5:45 pace which was wrong, but helped push me a bit faster.   Turns out the signal had me running off course as well so it never really was right until the final mile or so.  That said I definitely left it all out there this time.  Felt really hard about 1.5-2 miles in and then for the final mile was thinking how in the world can I maintain this pace?  Didn't help that we were into the wind (and rain) at this point.  Still was able to grab onto a few of the runners ahead of me and reel them in for the final 1/2 mile and was able to pass all but one of them.  Pretty pleased overall since this means I'm really close to sub 17 fitness and hoping that means a good HM is just around the corner!  Will say that my 17:43 in a 90+ deg heat index late in June might have been a somewhat better effort than this one though.  Finally, turned around and paced a friend this morning at a local HM.  Made for a very short night, sleep wise, but enjoyed the company and watching someone else hit their goal!

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
          Day Miles Pace Description Link
          Mon 10.1 8:00 My favorite combo: Hot and windy strava
          Tue 7.3 7:40 AM EZ + strides strava
          Tue 4.2 7:43 PM miles: Splish splash 💦 strava
          Wed 15.2 7:21 Cool and breezy!! 5E + 4 X 2 w/ Jon (2 w/ Jen) + 1E strava
          Thu 10.2 7:46 Much better than being at work! strava
          Fri 5.3 7:50 So nice out: EZ + strides strava
          Sat 2.4 8:09 Warm up strava
          Sat 3.1 5:33 Rainy Ghostly Gecko 5K and a wonky GPS, but a 17:12.4 official time strava
          Sat 2.6 8:36 Cool down strava
          Sun 2.0 8:21 Before the cold front and trying to wake up strava
          Sun 13.1 7:49 Nice run with Bob at the Cocoa Beach HM strava
          Sun 1.1 7:29 Back to the car strava
            76.6 7:41    

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Mark: Nice race report and congrats again on the super debut. I agree that the humidity could have cost you more than you may think. Sounds like a good plan to focus on some HMs and shorter races.  I hope you'll give the marathon another try.

Swim: Sorry to hear about the injury and I hope it heals quickly. Any chance you would jump into a marathon in the next month or two if the injury clears up?

Andres: Congrats on the 5k and HM! I know the 5k time is not what you were hoping as a starting point, but it's your first race and it may just take a couple to get back in the racing mindset for that distance.

Slingrunner: Welcome! FWIW, I had a similar 10k PR prior to my sub 3 marathon, so I think it is definitely possible if you get favorable weather.

IAM: Excellent week as usual. I hope the piriformis issue is not significant and clears up. It will be interesting to see what you do in the 5k. I know you're more of an "aerobic monster" and not one of the 5k speed demons like Finbad, Mark, or Strugglr, but you may have reached the point that your endurance is so great you can sort of reach down from it and access a similarly fast 5k time.

Watson: Glad you are healing up and hope your house sells quickly!

Weatherboy: Solid week and congrats on the excellent 5k PR. I think sub 17 should happen soon based on how that went for you. Good luck in the HM next weekend.

My week: Another geared towards 5k training. I had a decent track workout Wednesday, and another 1 mile TT yesterday. This one felt more controlled, if that is possible for a 1 mile, and I was surprised I could manage a strong last 100 meters. With the blazing finish I was a bit late to hit the stop button, but it was 5:14-something for 1 mile, and 5:11.x going through 1600m, so a good improvement from last week. I have a 5k race next weekend where the goal will be sub 18, though I'm not sure I am quite there yet.

<tfoot> </tfoot>
            Day Miles Pace Description Link
            Tue 10.1 8:00 Morning Run strava
            Wed 9.0 7:24 2000, 1600, 1200, 800, 400 (7:10, 5:43, 4:16, 2:48, 1:20), 400 recovery (Garmin express not working) strava
            Thu 6.2 8:56 Morning Run strava
            Fri 10.1 8:26 Morning Run strava
            Sat 3.1 8:06 Warmup strava
            Sat 1.0 5:14 1 mile time trial (5:14) strava
            Sat 5.1 8:26 1 mi easy, 2x400m; 2x200m; cool down strava
            Sun 10.0 8:55 Treadmill run strava
              54.6 8:15    

2:52:16 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

JMac  - really looking forward to seeing how you and Fly do in NYC next weekend.  Looks like it's pretty wet there at the moment but if the forecast holds you could have near-ideal race conditions next weekend.  I have to say I'm envious of the crowds on those big races.  Auckland certainly has a few people out supporting but nothing like you get in the big cities and there's some long empty stretches.

Weather - nice 5km and sounds like tough conditions.  I ran my 5k PR four weeks or so after my HM PR so hopefully it's a good indicator for your fitness.

JTReeves - With the speed on that 1 mile rep I think you might surprise yourself on your 5km.

Watson - thanks, as per the 1:30 thread I hope the body is benefiting from a bit of rest.

I looked at the final results for the race yesterday.  Just 7 seconds between the top two men as the race winner almost got run down at the end - and some guy ran a 2:53 with no shoes for the second half! (he chucked them because his knee was playing up).  Hannah Oldroyd, who flew past me with about 10km to go (and was still almost 2 minutes behind the womens race leader at the 35km mark) ended up winning the women's race by over a minute - even after stopping to help a guy over the finish line.  Phenomenally well-paced race on her part.  Overall the times were a little slower than last year (which had near-perfect conditions) - the mens winner was 4 minutes slower and the womens winner about 7 minutes slower.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mmmmm...beer

Got my sub-3 yesterday!!

I wasn't able to get in a tuneup race, since I bumped up my race date, so my plan was to go out at 6:50, see how I felt at the halfway point and then try to pick it up if I could. It went exactly as planned! 6:50s through the half, then down into the 6:40s for the second half. Last few miles hurt, a lot, but I pushed through. I knew that if I could hold on I would hit my goal. Probably my most perfectly executed race ever.

2:56:46 for 2nd place Masters (I posted 3rd place elsewhere, they messed up the results). 5:24 PR over last fall. Couldn't be happier!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

weatherboy80

D2nd: Congrats - another sub 3 down!  Sounds like a perfect marathon to me (with good pacing and you will hurt in the last 10K)!  Well done - enjoy the recovery.

JT:  Think your sub 18 5K is alot closer than you think.  NIce week and a speedy workout!

Watson:  Hope the rest does you well!

Good luck to those in NYC!  Hay is in the barn ...

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

paul2432

Mark - Enjoyed the report thanks for posting.  As we used to say "choose the pain" and you certainly did.  Struggling the last few miles means you gave it your all.

D2nd - Congrats on the sub-3:00, looking forward to a report.

IAM - Good luck with the 5K - I have mixed feelings about a 5K the week before a marathon (both injury risk and fatigue risk), but with the volume you've done it seems less risky.  Obviously warm up thoroughly.

Swim - Sorry to hear about the injury.  Sounds like a good plan to come back strong next year.

Here is my week. Family and work commitments led to URDs on Monday and Wednesday, although this was supposed to be a cutback week anyway, so not so bad missing those two days.  The plan called for a big T on Saturday which is an impossible workout (5 miles T pace, then 4, 3, 2, and 1), so I scaled it back quite a bit.  Got about 6.5 at T pace (3+2 early and another 1.5 late).  Rest of the week was pretty standard.

Six weeks left until Tucson.

Day Miles Pace Duration Description Egain Link
                    Tue 10.0 7:27 1:14 With some tempo 0 strava
                    Thu 11.5 7:54 1:30 Morning Run 154 strava
                    Thu 5.6 8:20 0:46 Treadmill 0 strava
                    Fri 8.0 8:10 1:05 Lunch Run 387 strava
                    Sat 18.3 7:14 2:12 With some tempo 311 strava
                    Sun 13.3 10:22 2:18 Trails, easy pace 1962 strava
                      66.7 8:12 9:07   2814  
                    slingrunner

Thanks everybody for the feedback/suggestions.  I'll certainly let you guys know how it goes.  My current plan is to go for the 3:00 if the weather is nice (I won't be devastated if I lose Boston, as I'll get an extra 5 minutes toward it next year).

iamdisappoint- I've run 5 marathons.  I don't think the first counts.    Marathon 2 and marathon 3 were only a couple minute positive splits.  Marathon 4 I had some health issues and did struggle down the stretch, but I had very little base (more than half of my training was in a sling) and I didn't really know what my fitness was heading into the race, marathon 5 was extremely windy and I employed a pretty wacky gambling pacing strategy to try to be with a pace group while running into the worst of the wind and it failed (I did average faster for 20-26 than 14-20 because of wind).

This marathon my base is higher though and I'm recovering very quickly from my runs.  But I am concerned about my ability to hold the pace because I do not run well in heat, and nearly all of my difficult/important runs this cycle have been in bad weather and many didn't go well.  I think I've also had some nutritional issues in the past that I have not worked out... I haven't been able to take in anything beyond Gatorade after mile 16 or so in pretty much all of my marathons.

I also am very low tech, and only run with a stop watch, but hopefully I can find a group of people trying to break 3 hours to go with.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Dtothend thats freakin awesome congrats.

Mark I saw some video of her helping that guy but she had already finished first 

Iamdisapoint i have no words. Your current level of fitness is through the roof and one of the most impressive improvements Ive seen. Sure you run 100 mpw but you cope with it which is a huge part of distant running.

Weatherboy excellent 5k congrats on the new PR.

Reeves you are becoming the mile expert ! Nice job.

Slingrunner I think most sub 3ers are about 38.XX 10k but there are exceptions and you are not far off.

Im not worthy of this thread but ran 50 miles this week  with some good elevation. I feel pretty fit with all the hills and some core/strength results which is new for me after ignoring this aspect for the entirety of my running life since 2010.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flashinthepan

Good Morning Everyone! 5 Weeks until race day for me and I am starting to get excited. Reading some of these race recaps and tapering strategies is making this all very real to me. First off:

SWIM- Absolutely devastating. I get a pit in my stomach just thinking about what you are going through. I'm glad that it sounds like it is relatively minor, but to have put all of that training in and not be able to run your race is incredibly disheartening. I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy.

IAM- Awesome week. 105 miles at those kinds of paces is incredible. I can't wait to see what you do come race day. This 5k should be a fun one for you.

TN- Good to see you on here and logging a few miles. How has it been feeling? I know you are easing into things and still staying on the bike a lot.

Mark- Congrats on the sub 3. I'll be excited to follow your training and see that time drop even more!

Weatherboy: Looks like a really solid week with a good 5k thrown down on Saturday. That looked like a good time for a rainy day. Congrats!

D2: Great job on the 2:56!

Paul: I can't blame you for truncating the T workout, that is insane. I thought the Big T was 4,3,2,1. A 5,4,3,2,1 T workout seems truly insane. 15 miles at T pace.  Has anyone here ever done that one?  I think Kram did the 4,3,2,1 workout earlier this year.

Piwi: I've noticed you've been doing a lot of hill running. Getting 1500+ ft of gain in 10km of running is serious climbing!

2:52:16 (2018)

flashinthepan

My week was definitely a unique one. I tried to keep it as routine as possible until Friday when I did a 207 mile relay race with 5 other guys. I ended up putting in 38 miles over 30 hours in some pretty mountainous terrain. In a typical week I average about 1800-2200 feet of climbing over the week. Due to the rave I ran over 6500, with almost all of that being in the two day period.

On Monday I started off with a 4x2 mile workout. I averaged 5:24 pace for those and was surprised at how good I felt. Then on Wednesday I did a nine mile tempo that exceeded all my expectations. I was able to average 5:42 pace, and while it was hard work, it didn't feel like a fluke. I felt relatively comfortable throughout and then sped up for the last couple miles. With 5 weeks of training to go I feel like things are really starting to click. My main competition for St. Jude has also been posting some impressive workouts so I feel the pressure. This is going to be a lot of fun!

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                              Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
                              Mon 15.3 6:15 4x2 Mile @ 5:24 pace, 800 recovery, 3 wu, 2 cd 157 (81%) strava
                              Tue 12.2 7:21 Morning Run 137 (70%) strava
                              Tue 6.0 7:02 6 Mile Shakeout 140 (72%) strava
                              Wed 15.4 6:06 9 Mile Tempo @ 5:42, 3.25 wu, 3.1 cd 158 (81%) strava
                              Wed 5.6 7:12 Afternoon Run 143 (73%) strava
                              Thu 12.0 7:13 12 in Jackson, MS 143 (73%) strava
                              Fri 6.3 6:54 Outback in the Ozarks Leg 1 161 (83%) strava
                              Fri 5.1 6:51 Outback in the Ozarks Leg 7 166 (85%) strava
                              Fri 5.5 6:13 Outback in the Ozarks leg 13 145 (74%) strava
                              Fri 5.6 6:44 Outback Leg 19 151 (77%) strava
                              Sat 8.3 6:38 Outback in the Ozarks Leg 25 152 (78%) strava
                              Sat 6.1 7:12 Outback in the Ozarks Leg 31 154 (79%) strava
                                103.4 6:45      
                              flyrunnr

Mark - great race report, congrats on the sub-3 debut! You'll come back to 26.2, it's got that heroin-like effect on people.

Swim - sorry to hear about the setback, hopefully you'll heal fast and get back on a good path to training.

IAM - another monster week, can't wait to track you in Richmond.

weatherboy - nice 5K!

Jmac11 - looks like we're running the boroughs in the rain. Just need to stay dry before the start!

sling - welcome! Are you from Philly? #flyeaglesfly -- I'm from the burbs and will be volunteering and watching this year. Which race was your recent 10K?

flash - Monster week!

6 Days to go to NYC Marathon - the 5K in NYC on Saturday at 8:30A has over $60K of prize money and looks like a star-studded event, should be fun to watch.

Weekly Summary

<tfoot> </tfoot>
                                Day Miles Pace Description Egain Link
                                Mon 8.0 9:17 Treadmill and Eagles 0 strava
                                Tue 10.0 7:30 2 w/u; 5x1@MP-10 w/ 0.25 jog; 2 c/d 275 strava
                                Thu 10.0 7:02 2 w/u; 6 Tempo; 2 c/d 305 strava
                                Fri 6.6 8:30 Final Morning Run Club 308 strava
                                Sat 14.0 8:55 Final Long Run 485 strava
                                Sun 6.2 9:33 10K Easy w/ strides on Treadmill 0 strava
                                  54.8 8:24   1373  

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2507437

PR's - 5K - 17:57 (2017) | 10K - 38:06 (2016)  | 13.1 1:23:55 (2019)  | 26.2  2:58:46 (2017)

2020 Goals - Sub-2:55 Marathon                       Up Next: TBD, Boston on 9/14?