Mileage increase input needed. Collecting data on the upper limits. (Read 990 times)

over 9000!!!

thanks for all the replies. some of them were helpful.  sum just funny

over 9000!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong....

No, really, correct me...

Every runner is different so every runner should increase mileage differenttly.

And most ways are already taken.

Yes!  This is exactly what i mean.  

Every runner is different and most people increase mileage differently.  But almost every running book I pick up says to increase no more than 10%.   That is fine and all,  I am just curious about how everyone really does it.  Especially those who go over that 10% rule.

When I would cycle build vs. race phases (years ago), I would try to stick to 5-10% ... anything more and I'd invariably get sick or hurt.  Usually I'd start with 4X per week at ~4 miles per run (beginning of "season"), and move up to averaging ~6 miles per run before adding a 5th day at 3-4 miles, then a 6th day at 3-4 miles.  I never ran a marathon, so I never built up to more than 50 miles per week (longest "long" run was 22 miles).

A Saucy Wench

You do realize of course that your 10 weeks from 20 to 40 is not on average violating the 10% rule?

That being said

If I am returning to old mileage I just listen to my body and I tend to ramp up fairly rapidly.  Especially if I was doing Xtraining during the down time. 

If I am going to new levels I just add here and there and listen to my body and usually without planning end up with some pattern that looks like  increase, increase, decrease, big increase.  I dont know if it is usually more or less than 10%, I have never calculated.  I would guess that some weeks are more, some weeks are less and overall it is much less.  Well of course it is much less overall, because I've been running for quite awhile now and if I did 10% a week I would be at 5000 miles a week or some silly nonsense.

I never ever PLAN cutback weeks. Cut back weeks happen because either a) my body tells me to or more often b) life interferes. 

In general I probably have always been closer the the Daniels theory than the 10% rule even though I never had any idea who daniels was until a couple years ago.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

DoppleBock

Here is my post from a different thread

Mine is not as grand as most - I had been injured from Sept 1st 2007 - for 6 months - restarting training on March 1st 2008 - I had already paid for the Boston Marathon, so I better get my fat ass in gear and do a little training. Starting weight was #238
            I decided I also wanted to do a 50 mile trail race 3 weeks after Boston and a 24 hour race 4 weeks after that. All in the name of fun (If you call pain fun). This meant that I was combining ultra training and marathon training. I also ramped up mileage very quickly.

Week # 1 40 miles long run 12
            Week # 2 82 miles long run 22
            week # 3 106 miles long run 31
            week # 4 124 miles long run 43 followed by a 22 miler the next day
            week # 5 91 miles long run 21 (3 speed sessions)
            Week #6 71 miles long run 12 (3 speed sessions)
            week #7 54 miles (2 speed sessions)
            Week #8 105 miles - Boston on Monday (3:07) followed by a 31 miler on Saturday Weigth #221
            Week #9 115 miles - with a 30 mile long run
            Week #10 113 miles with a 50 mile trail race in 7:36 - 2nd OA Weight #215
            week #11 74 miles
            Week #12 134 miles with a 31 miler and a 41 miler
            week # 13 93 miles with 3 speed sessions
            Week #14 166 miles with 123.5 long run (24 hour race) Weight #203

6 months off then 7 weeks to train from 0 to marathon, 10 weeks to train from 0 to 50 miler and 14 weeks to train from 0 to 24 hour race - 10% rule I laugh in your face!

After that the year was downhill - ran a lot - not much focus - ate and drank a lot - weight was @ 215. But I had a lot of fun running 4 more marathons - that I usually would not - just for fun.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

I think the 10% rule was developed out of the same logic as experation date on beer.  99.9% of beer is still good at that date - You have to taste it and if it doesn't taste good - don't drink it.

Increase more than 10%, but if you body starts to break down - back off

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I never ran a marathon, so I never built up to more than 50 miles per week (longest "long" run was 22 miles).

This is a serious Question .... Why in Hell would anyone run 22 miles if they were not planning on running a Marathon?

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This is a serious Question .... Why in Hell would anyone run 22 miles if they were not planning on running a Marathon?

I dunno. Some folks just like running. Me, for example, I'd happily run 22 miles for the heck of it if I could get the time.
                  AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

... Me, for example, I'd happily run 22 miles for the heck of it if I could get the time.

or a red shirt?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

I think the 10% rule was developed out of the same logic as experation date on beer.  99.9% of beer is still good at that date - You have to taste it and if it doesn't taste good - don't drink it.

Who would let a beer get to the expiration date?

over 9000!!!

Here is my post from a different thread

Mine is not as grand as most - I had been injured from Sept 1st 2007 - for 6 months - restarting training on March 1st 2008 - I had already paid for the Boston Marathon, so I better get my fat ass in gear and do a little training. Starting weight was #238
                        I decided I also wanted to do a 50 mile trail race 3 weeks after Boston and a 24 hour race 4 weeks after that. All in the name of fun (If you call pain fun). This meant that I was combining ultra training and marathon training. I also ramped up mileage very quickly.

Week # 1 40 miles long run 12
                        Week # 2 82 miles long run 22
                        week # 3 106 miles long run 31
                        week # 4 124 miles long run 43 followed by a 22 miler the next day
                        week # 5 91 miles long run 21 (3 speed sessions)
                        Week #6 71 miles long run 12 (3 speed sessions)
                        week #7 54 miles (2 speed sessions)
                        Week #8 105 miles - Boston on Monday (3:07) followed by a 31 miler on Saturday Weigth #221
                        Week #9 115 miles - with a 30 mile long run
                        Week #10 113 miles with a 50 mile trail race in 7:36 - 2nd OA Weight #215
                        week #11 74 miles
                        Week #12 134 miles with a 31 miler and a 41 miler
                        week # 13 93 miles with 3 speed sessions
                        Week #14 166 miles with 123.5 long run (24 hour race) Weight #203

6 months off then 7 weeks to train from 0 to marathon, 10 weeks to train from 0 to 50 miler and 14 weeks to train from 0 to 24 hour race - 10% rule I laugh in your face!

After that the year was downhill - ran a lot - not much focus - ate and drank a lot - weight was @ 215. But I had a lot of fun running 4 more marathons - that I usually would not - just for fun.

Holy crap!  You are a 200+ pounder who runs 100+ miles per week with severl sub 3 hour marathons?

You must be built like a spartan linebacker.  How about some pics?  I would like to see that!

You are like that guy in the dos equis commercials. the most interesting man in the world...

Right after high school I was training for 10K-10 mile distance.  Since I didn't have much time to build mileage during the week I just kept bumping up the Saturday run.  This was almost 15 years ago, and at the time the school of thought was that you had to run longer than 26.2 miles on your long run to "not hit the wall".  So I figured that 22 miles was non-marathon training and 28 would be marathon training.

Not entirely logical, I know.  I may have run further than 26.2, but it wasn't a measured distance ... speaking of which, here's a somewhat funny story ... I'm sure some of you can relate:

I was considering running the Chicago marathon, but hadn't run further than ~3 miles in months (this was after college).  Two days before the marathon I figured I'd go for a 8 miler or so, just to see if I could make it.  However, I had just moved there a few days prior and didn't know my way around ... a friend said "go up to Northwestern, it's not that far of a run, just go that way" ... and pointed West. 

Since I lived on the lake, this was entirely the wrong direction, but I didn't realize it until I hit the Kennedy (I-90/94), which was ~4 miles away.  Determined to reach Northwestern, I weaved my way North and East as strangers directed me.  A couple hours later I arrived, and another two hours (of getting lost a few times), I got back to my apartment. 

I know I ran at least 22, but probably much more (it was 22 "as the crow flies" based on street maps ... my "best guess" based on fuzzy memory on the RA route mapping puts it at 26-28).  Needless to say, I couldn't walk for a week, let alone run the Marathon that weekend.