Overtrained (Read 846 times)

Something tells me you like to race but really don't like to train that much.
    Hmmm...I guess I would say that my focus is the long stuff and that the short stuff is thrown in there more as a guage of where I am, or even as speed work for the longer stuff. I've never trained specifically for a 5k, 10k, or even half marathon. Those races have always been part of training for the longer stuff. I know if I wanted to truly to the best I could at those distances, that I'd have to train differently, but like I said, they are more indicators for me than anything else. They are indicators that right now are telling me things are going south. Also to give a little more info, a typical week leading up to my last marathon included easy runs on Sunday and Monday (3-6 miles), a track workout on Tuesday (6-9 miles), easy run or off on Wednesday, parking garage repeats (~6 miles) on Thursdays, off Friday, and long runs on Saturday. I had two eighteen's and two twenty's for my longest runs, the rest averaged between 14 and 16. And as far as liking to race but not liking to train - couldn't be farther from the truth. When I do an Ironman, I just consider the actual race as the icing on the cake, or the reward for all the work I've put in. I wouldn't do all of this if it were only races - I love having a routine and working hard towards a goal. I do love racing, but only as a reward for hard work. I know I won't be happy with my race performance if I don't train well to race well, if that makes any sense. Since St. George it is the simple, easy training runs that aren't even going well. I didn't leave that 5k crying because I didn't do well, I left alarmed because I knew something wasn't right, especially when compared to previous racing/training. Four of the symptoms I see over and over again of overtraining are: 1. Decrease in race performance 2. Increase in resting and exercising heart rate 3. Sleep issues 4. Weight loss I am in the middle of all of the above right now.
    http://kcwoodhead.blogspot.com

Why is it sideways?

Also to give a little more info, a typical week leading up to my last marathon included easy runs on Sunday and Monday (3-6 miles), a track workout on Tuesday (6-9 miles), easy run or off on Wednesday, parking garage repeats (~6 miles) on Thursdays, off Friday, and long runs on Saturday. I had two eighteen's and two twenty's for my longest runs, the rest averaged between 14 and 16.
      I can see why you're overtrained. That's three hard workouts a week with very little easy mileage to back them up. My recommendation is to take a break for a couple weeks, then take a season (2 or 3 months) and just run an easy 6 miles or so 5-6 or even 7 days a week. After that, you might want to think about replacing one of those workouts with an easier, but a little longer distance run.
      DoppleBock

Those all sound much more serious issues than over training? If its been a month or so with lower volume of activity and still have those issues ??? Keep seeking answers from your Doctors But if you are not eating enough (Weight loss) and not sleeping enough - Fatigue and low energy levels - may cause increase heart rate and low performance. But again why are you not eating or sleeping enough? I could understand if you lived up north in WI - Dread of the impending doom of winter Smile

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

10 Reasons Not to Skimp on Sleep Too busy to go to bed? Having trouble getting quality sleep once you do? Your health may be at risk. By Sarah Baldauf, U.S. News & World ReportMore on Diabetes in Health & Fitness You may literally have to add it to your to-do list, but scheduling a good night's sleep could be one of the smartest health priorities you set. It's not just daytime drowsiness you risk when shortchanging yourself on your seven to eight hours. Possible health consequences of getting too little or poor sleep can involve the cardiovascular, endocrine, immune and nervous systems.

Those all sound much more serious issues than over training? If its been a month or so with lower volume of activity and still have those issues ??? Keep seeking answers from your Doctors But if you are not eating enough (Weight loss) and not sleeping enough - Fatigue and low energy levels - may cause increase heart rate and low performance. But again why are you not eating or sleeping enough? I could understand if you lived up north in WI - Dread of the impending doom of winter Smile
            I'm in bed plenty of hours a night, the sleep just isn't always the greatest. I think "non-restful sleep" was one of the ways I saw it written as a symptom of the overtraining. That is the #1 thing I'm working on right now as I know it is the #1 thing to make me better. I'm not really eating any less than I was before and now all of a sudden the few lbs I'd been trying to lose forever have left. I just picked up all my blood work resutls from the past 2 years from my dr and am sending it to a PA friend who does this sort of stuff to see if she sees any sort of anything.
              Not to be arrogant or anything but... I believe that it is absolutely possible for pretty much anybody (providing they don't have any apparent ailment) to run sub-4 marathon on jogging alone. And, to be honest with you, anybody who's running a marathon at 4:30~5:00 range to talk about "speed training" and do 2 or 3 quality workouts a week....there's something wrong with that picture. I'm sort of amazed in a way to see so many threads here talking about slowing down your training. But this is exactly it. When you get out and go for a run for the very first time, you'll start to puff. Anything you do, it requires oxygen. The harder the intensity of the activity, the more oxygen your body needs. But, for various reasons, your body initially doesn't get enough oxygen to operate. In most cases, from years of inactivity, your heart is not strong enough to pump blodd through the body to pick up oxygen in lungs and carry them to the working muscles. So muscles are not getting enough oxygen to burn fuel to "work"--puffing is actually the feedback from the working muscles not getting enough oxygen. So your body are sending message; "We've got to retain more oxygen!" As you run more, your heart becomes stronger, all the clogged up blood vessels open up, blood volume increases, red blood cell count improves... All these changes occur when you work within your limitations. If you start out working out "anaerobically", in other words, you're constantly puffing and huffing, gasping for air; then you are actually damaging your system instead of growing. Your body creates certain waste products in your body which brings your blood pH lower (acidic) which affect enzyme function adversely; you'll be edgy and nervous, you lose appetite, you get too twichy to sleep... Human adaptatin is quite amazing; you can go on doing things like this for quite some time... But next thing you know, you're in "chronic fatigue" state. By then, simply "not running" may not clear it quickly. The actual fact is; nece easy jogging and/or brisk walking would help the situation so much better simply because you're pumping more oxygen by doing it. Anyways, once your over-all body's function improves, then you can run faster AND further aerobically; meaning, you won't puff any more even though you're running further and faster. This is because your body's ability to retain oxygen is now so much better that, the speed at which you used to get into oxygen debt is now aerobic; you can operate within your capacity to assimilate, transport and utilize oxygen. This is why those elite runners can run sub-5 minute per mile pace and joking and chatting and not evern breathing hard. Their oxygen carrying capacity is so great and they are totally aerobic running at sub-5 pace. From my observation, FAR too many people today just jump into some cookie-cutter schedule and do 2 or 3 quiality workouts a week when their body is not ready; following some schedule written by some former elite runner who simply watered down their training schedule when they ran 2:15 marathon. Well, it ain't work out that way. Kenyans do some damn hard workouts like 10X1000m at 2:45 pace. So, as a 4:30 runner, instead of 2:10, you might try to do 10X1000m at 5:45 pace instead of 2:45... Well, sorry, it won't really work out that way either. Most Kenyans, as we all hear as a story, run to and from school, about 12 miles both ways, 5 times a week since they were 12 years old... Nothing pressing, they just run nice and easily and whatever the pace they feel happy about because they don't know any better; no stop watch, no garmin to check the distance... So they run like this from 12 years old till they are 21 or 22; then come to the US and some coach or agent give them some tough workout and; bang! They set some world beating times. So some physiologists look at what they do and said, "Well, why waste time doing slow 20-miler when you can do hard 10X1000m instead? Look at those Kenyans..." They have NO concept of how to develop athletes. So I don't give a damn about what idiot might suggest others to do 3 high intensity workouts a week and say, "But look, they all improved their performance..." I'd say, do the follow-up study of how they'll be performing 3 years from now. From the sound of your training pattern and racing schedule, coupled with your frustrating tone, I honestly think you'll need to take it easy and forget chasing times, paces, races and any idiot proof training schedule. Along with so many other "beginners" out there, you need to step back and re-build your body and over-haul your mind. And, as someone else suggested, you'll need to have a clearer objective of what you're doing and for what event. If you've been training for a 50k race and jump in a 5k race and didn't perform well, you shouldn't feel devastated about it. It's like having been training for volleyball for months and get mad for not performing well in soccer. I don't know if you practice this or not but you should sit down, beginning of the season, and decide which races you'd like to run, if they make sense along the way, and lastly, what kind of training pattern you would follow in order to best achieve your goals in the scheme of those racing plan. Good luck and happy running! ;o)
              DoppleBock

I do think a nice long base building period with maybe 1 light speed workout a week for a few months (3-4) would be great for you to do on an annual basis. I run 4000-5000 miles per year and because I live in WI - Generally November - March is base building. After spring marathon, I usually go back to base building for 4 more weeks before stating a fall training cycle. Even if I race a lot - I do not taper or care about most races. I usually key on 1 sping race + Marathon and 2-3 summer or fall races + Marathon. The rest are speed workouts - No taper. I think of solid training as adding to your fitness bank account and true hard racing as a withdrawl. There are only so many time you can ask for "The Fantastic Effort" out of your body. Possible medical issues aside - I would think its time to take a nice long term approach to your training. When I started, I set a goal for where I wanted to be in 6 years and worked toward it. Right now I am thinking in terms of 3-5 years. Working on longer macro-cycles really help keep the micro-cycles in perspective and what is really important. To me its foolish to sacrifice long term bigger improvements for short term incremental improvements. Right now - I continue to work on Mileage 1st (Long term development). I would have to say stressing and improving the endoicrine system is #2 and speed development currently is #3.

I am not a doctor, nor can I give you perfect advice here, but three years ago I decided to take a martial arts class. I was still just getting back into running, it was my first six months back in so not so good. I had just been diagnosed with asthma and I was on all sorts of inhalers. I forgot to take my inhaler 30 - 40 minutes before and took it about 5 minutes before the start. I ended up on the floor and nearly called an ambulance my heart was racing so fast. I've done very hard stuff in my younger years and never felt this before. Here: (not saying that there is not another reason for your high heart rate, but you should know this stuff. Just seems very high for your amount of training and pace.) http://74.125.113.104/search?q=cache:MIHZ7ANRMX4J:www.lungusa.org/site/c.dvLUK9O0E/b.263990/+asthma+medications+heart+rate&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a Symbicort is a broncodilator if you follow the cached google link you will see a table where it's listed. Next to symbicort you will formoterol fumarate. Searching for formoterol fumarate on the table you will see the following side effects: *increased heart rate *palpitations *nervousness *sleeplessness *headache *nausea *vomiting *tremor, shaking feeling Good luck and I hope this helps. -Boomer
                  Thanks for that info. I'm so torn on this because not controlling the asthma could bring a whole new world of problems, but the medicine could be causing problems. I've been on it 2 months and was only instructed to be on it one month and then as needed, so I'm going to lay off for a while and see what happens.
                    K, First - nice to see you on these boards. Might not remember me but I joined you and a few folks for a training day at Twin Lakes - must have been during summer of '07. Actually saw you at GRB on marathon morning - glad it was a good day for you. I am in Indiana now but coming back to Houston for the marathon and to visit friends. I would listen to Nobby - he is a bit of an internet legend. Lydiard is good reading and Nobby is known as one of the experts. Mainly, listening to your body as it seems you are doing now. Everyone needs some down time and you can't simply train year round. You need some time to decompress, recover, and get excited about the sport. I am not sure if active recovery is better than complete time off - listen to your body for clues. Wish you all the best
                    Thanks for the well wishes!! I haven't been to twin lakes since memorial day - it lost too much water!!