get stink out of wet running shoes (Read 61 times)

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

It's been about two weeks since my last dry run, and my shoes are letting me know! A cat-piss smell has taken over my Saucony Freedom ISO and I'm at a loss how to get it out. I have deodorizing shoe-balls that have proved ineffectual. I tried this baking soda in a plastic bag trick I found somewhere, but the smell just shrugged it off. Any other tips?

Prince of Fatness

I rotate two pairs of shoes, so it's at least 2 days between wearing one pair.  If they are real wet I take the liner out so they dry better.  I heard of some people sticking crumbled up newspaper in them.  Also if it's a nice day I'll stick them outside for a few hours in the sun.

Not at it at all. 

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

I have been known to run a pair of running shoes through the washer on gentle cycle, then hang to air dry. I remove the liner before putting them in the washer.

it’s possible the shoes could get damaged from this. I have done this with Saucony and New Balance shoes without damaging them.

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

Arnoldziffel

I've been down this road a few times before.  I've tried the deodorizing shoe balls, and they did not help.  I have had some success with rinsing my shoes out (with shoe liners removed), and then let them dry.  I've done this during the summer when I could use an outdoor hose to rinse them out, and let the shoes bake in the sun for a day or two.  This would be more difficult to do in the winter time, as it might take a few days to dry out.  The drying could be aided by putting newspaper inside the shoes and placing the shoes near a warm furnace.

April 21- Fast Half Marathon

May 5 - Colleen Ritzer 5K

June 22 - Mad Fox Trail Fest 10K

When I come in from a run, my shoes go on to a boot dryer.  After a normal run, they are dry within a couple hours.  After a run where the shoes were submerged, they are dry by the next morning.  I try to remember to take the liners out when the shoes are dripping wet.

I got the boot dryer after trying the newspaper technique.  The first newspaper sucked up water, as did the second, as did the third.  After the third sheet of newspaper, the shoes were still damp.  So I gave up on drying shoes with newspaper.

Marylander

I've had some luck putting shoes in a plastic bag then sticking them in the freezer. It's been pretty common this year for me to run through stagnant/muddy puddles (most of my runs are on easy trails) and such so this has been a red letter year for shoe stank. I've also put them in the washing machine now and then (assuming I remember to rinse the mud and such off in the nearby river at the end of my runs).

Prince of Fatness

For those not wanting to throw their shoes into the washing machine I have found that using a bucket of warm water works.  I just fill a bucket (just warm water, no soap), take the liners out, and gently scrub the shoes with a rag in the bucket of water.  Stick them outside in the sun to dry or if it's winter by a heater vent.  That works pretty well.

Not at it at all. 

mdolley

Funky kicks 2019

Defunkify makes a spray for deodorizing shoes

Arnoldziffel

If my wife knew this stuff existed, she'd be buying it by the 55 gallon drum.  Smile

April 21- Fast Half Marathon

May 5 - Colleen Ritzer 5K

June 22 - Mad Fox Trail Fest 10K

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

Thanks so much for all the ideas! I don't read paper newspapers, so don't have that around, and my tiny Taiwan apartment has no room for a boot dryer, and same for sticking them in a freezer, as mine barely has room for the food in it. I'll look into to the deodorizing spray, and hope for some more sunshine soon. Today was the first sun in about two weeks, and the weather report says not to expect more for a few more weeks. Anyway, thanks again for all the ideas!

Kataki

I’m thinking of getting a boot dryer because even with two pairs of trail shoes to rotate in/out, mine still stay wet.