Shoe advice please (Read 665 times)

Ok, so I first started running in the asics gel nimbus, LOVED the shoe never had any problems. THe next shoe I got was asics 1120, which unlike the nimbus, is for overpronators, (which I am). I never really liked the 1120's, and got injured once in my foot (not sure if it's from the shoes, but still.) I have blister problems, which I never had with the nimbus. I also started wearing arch supports instead of the soles in the shoes. So today I bought the older style asics gel nimbus. My question is, since its a neutral shoe, will I be ok since I overpronate? I will still wear my arch supports, but I just want to make sure its an ok shoe to run in. I had the option of buying the 2130's, but they just weren't that comfortable although they are for overpronators. This is frustrating! Any advice would be much appreciated. Smile
    runnerclay

Consistently Slow

It will probably wear out on one edge at about 200 miles. I have the Gt 2020 ,1120 and 2120. Since I started wearing shoes for overpronating I noticed they last longer.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Do you mean the nimbus? Why does it wear so fast? So would you say get the 2130's? Thanks
        runnerclay

Consistently Slow

If you overpronate and wear a neutral shoe it will wear faster.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

First up - let comfort be your guide. If you were in the Nimbus previously, chances are you don't overly pronate and you should be fine. Second - keep in mind that there is an in-between step. The 2130 is for motion control (extreme pronation) and the Nimbus is for neutral runners -- the very popular Kayano is in between the two and is designed to help mild pronation. And yes - by adding arch supports to the Nimbus, you're actually giving it some supportive qualities that will help an over-pronator (depending on the supports, your own level of pronation, blah, blah). Smile If it were me, I'd definitely suggest the Nimbus over the 2130 since you've had success with the Nimbus. 2130 is in a whole different class of support. For what it's worth - I have custom orthotics for overpronation and I wear them in the Nimbus. You're doing the same thing - just without the $500 bill for orthotics.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Ahh, ok that makes sense runnerclay, thanks. Thanks so much for the advice marcus, makes me feel much better about buying the nimbus then. I figured comfort should be the main point, but wasn't sure if I had to have the support shoe. Cool..
                I'm right with ya. In fact, still trying to figure things out. I actually did well in the 1110s and 1120s but am now in a pair of neutral trainers, Landreths, with spenco arch supports. Stability shoes were uncormfortable, the 1120s did not have quite enough arch support, and pure neutrals don't have enough support for my bit of overpronation. Been told many times in a running store that I need stability shoes. Then I found a wise shoe guy that said to go by your own experience and wear what was comfortable. Go figure. Bottom line, I run in neutrals with arch supports. It helps my mild overpronation but still has a soft, comfy, responsive ride.

The Nimbus is the most comfortable shoe I have put on my foot. I just didn't want to shell out the $$$ for them yet. I have been scouring ebay and google for a bargain pair.
                    I went for a ruck-walk this evening after I decided to keep them (from the good advice here, lol) and wow, they are so much more comfy than the 1120's! I really forgot how much I liked my first pair! Big grin

Dave

For the longest time, I thought I needed a stability shoe or even motion control (2130 is a stability shoe, a bit milder than motion control). I tend to wear out my shoes at the outside of the heels and I thought that meant I needed stability or motion control. A few pairs of shoes ago, I tried out a pair of cushioning shoes (Cumulus) and haven't looked back. The 2110's (predecessor of the 2130's) are still comfortable for me but cushioning shoes seem just as good. I figure if you've got a pair of shoes that you "LOVED", stick with it Smile

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com