Feuling for the non-fueler (Read 551 times)

Frank4

I am an avid reader of this site, though I rarely post. However, I'd like some opinions on how to approach an upcoming goal race. I am running the Green Bay marathon on 5/17. I have been running steady 50-60 mile weeks for the past several months. Prior to that, my mileage was far more sporadic and, as a result, race times were not what they could have been. My goal for the marathon is to BQ, which is 3:15 for me. A couple of weeks back, I ran a 1:28 half. My question concerns fueling. During training runs, I never take any fuel. Even on long runs (up to 21 miles during this cycle), I don't take anything. During my recent half marathon PR, I didn't take any fuel, and was fine with it. However, in the few marathons that I have run, I think it has cost me in the later stages as I just ran out of gas. I realize it's a bit late in the game to significantly alter my training methods as far as fueling goes, and expect that to improve my race result too much. However, any suggestions on how to better prepare for the later stages of my upcoming race would be appreciated. Thanks.
    DoppleBock

I think of fuel 2 ways 1) calories 2) hydration Its possible to run a great race without taking in calories, but very difficult without proper hydration - A loss of even 3% of body weight from dehydration can drop 10% in performance and it just gets worse from there. I drink their sports drink - Gatorade Endurance and with 18 fluid stations its pretty easy to take in enough liquid - Of course your body can only absorb so much, so its also easy to take in too much liquid. I also eat gels - But I train with them - 4-5 per marathon. I have run marathons on water only and been fine. How do you plan your nutrition the 3 days before the race ? Did you do the BLS 1/2? Oshkosh? I will be at Green Bay also -

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Frank4

I don't have an aversion to Gatorade Endurance, so I figured I would try to at least stay hydrated by taking in some of that. I guess it's a matter of taking in enough to stay hydrated, but not too much and getting sick as a result...just wish I knew where that break-point is. Nutrition is an area where I could definitely use more discipline. I typically eat what I want, when I want it, and I don't skimp on the portions. The few days leading up to the race, I do more carb-loading, but don't change much else. I ran the half in Oshkosh. Beautiful weather for a run...much better than last year. Good luck in Green Bay... what is your goal? I ran the half there last year...my first time running that course.
        bap

Don't do anything in the marathon that you have not done in training. I spent the second half of Chicago with an upset stomach.

Certified Running Coach
          Crocked since 2013

you have time to experiment between now and the race. i think you may find a benefit. i think the main problems for folks w/ gels is some types/brands/flavors don't sit well with them. it could also be something to blame (for some folks) for a bad performance. or it could be something else they ate, or racing nerves, but the gel becomes the fall guy. i do not discount that gels may cause issues for some folk. after all, the consistency is well ... well, i won't go there. let's just say, not a lot of processing needed. i've never had a problem with any gel. some aren't very tasty. why not try some? even almost as snacks? slug one down before a 5 miler? i think you've not much to lose, expect maybe some minutes, which, come to think of it, is what you're after.