Altitude Tent (Read 92 times)

MJeffery

Does anyone here have an altitude tent? I purchased the head tent made by Hypoxico.

https://hypoxico.com/product/head-tent/

It has had an unintended consequence. I usually get up an already annoying twice per night to pee. Since using this I have had to get up an intolerable 4X/night to pee. A quick Google search told me that more urine is produced at altitude, so it sounds like this is normal. Will I get used to this and eventually start getting up less? The worst part is if I wake up to pee after 4 am I usually will not fall back to sleep. If this makes me exhausted it will not help my performance.

Seattle prattle

This is fascinating.

Is taking a nap during the day a possibility? Some elites tend to nap after a workout and maybe this would be a win-win, so to speak.

Other than that, maybe you'll eventually adapt to it and return to your normal patterns for bathroom breaks.

MJeffery

I do work from home, and I frequently take naps but only about 15 minute power naps. Since the tent is a see-through plastic, it is possible I can do some work on my laptop for an hour or so during the day and read in the tent another hour or so at night, for a total of 2 hours per day.  I believe I am supposed to use it for 10-12 hours per day though to achieve a benefit. Perhaps I will still get some benefit if I crank it up to the highest setting for those 2 hours. Thanks for your suggestion.

Seattle prattle

good idea, but i see what you mean about it having an unexpected consequence which may be to such a level of detriment that it offsets the benefits of using it (i.e.: the lack of REM sleep that it causes due to more frequent potty breaks at night decreases your performance more than the positives of altitude simulation benefits you.)

I googled about potty breaks in the middle of the night. What might be an easy thing to try is foods that would retain liquids in your gut. I wonder if a little salt intake before bedtime might allow the body to retain liquids rather than dispelling them?

Sorry that i don't have any experience with oxy. tents. You might try LetsRun.com messageboard, which has way more participation.

MJeffery

Thanks!

I would ease into it...

lowest altitude setting first... for a while, couple weeks, or a month...

by low altitude I would think starting at about 5000ft setting.

Is EPO covered by insurance?? low dose... might be easier, ha.

300m- 37 sec.

MJeffery

Ha! I will ask my doctor just to see the look she gives me.

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Wow, the actual altitude simulator generator is not cheap.

Try managing your liquids before bedtime.  The flip side is that you might want to keep a water bottle with you while you sleep.  I drink less in the evenings, but drink a lot when I wake at night, and have managed to drop down to having to get up to pee just once a night.  I live at 6600' and have no idea how this affects things, though!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Funnily enough a former club mate of mine (Ray Matthews) from Brighton Phoenix designed his own altitude equipment and asked if I’d be interested in renting the head one (this was back in 2016). I declined because I sleep so badly, but it does sound interesting.

Here’s an interview he gave with RunBrighton http://runbrighton.com/stories-and-interviews/rays-tent/

And his product http://oxyhood.com/rentals/

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Get a refund.

Altitude tents are a complete waste of time. Maybe you could rent the oxygen tent house Nike built for that pathetic coward Salazar. It didn't work for him, and it won't do anything for you either but deplete your bank account. Cultures that live at high altitude don't walk like you do, run like you do, nor do they carry weight as inefficiently as you do.

If you want to discuss the science of high altitude adaptation, you should have read what the Army has done with that research topic. They would have told you that its barometric pressure which triggers blood cell adaptation, not low oxygen...

https://www.army.mil/article/195750/army_researchers_redefine_altitude_ascent_guidance_for_high_altitude_missions

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Get a refund.

Altitude tents are a complete waste of time. Maybe you could rent the oxygen tent house Nike built for that pathetic coward Salazar. It didn't work for him, and it won't do anything for you either but deplete your bank account. Cultures that live at high altitude don't walk like you do, run like you do, nor do they carry weight as inefficiently as you do.

If you want to discuss the science of high altitude adaptation, you should have read what the Army has done with that research topic. They would have told you that its barometric pressure which triggers blood cell adaptation, not low oxygen...

https://www.army.mil/article/195750/army_researchers_redefine_altitude_ascent_guidance_for_high_altitude_missions

That article does not say anything about it being barometric pressure triggering the blood cell adaptation.  It only says that daily 3-hour altitude tent usage had no effect compared to placebo (fake altitude tent).  If they had a group using the hypobaric chamber for 3 hours daily and compared that group with the altitude tents, that would point to it being due to pressure, but their results could just be indicating that three hours/24 is insufficient altitude exposure.

MJeffery

I guess we will have some data soon from my research study, n = 1. I took had my baseline hematocrit measured and will test again after 30 days of use, about 2 weeks from now.

After 2 weeks I'm back to waking up twice per night and now that I've gotten used to it, I sleep just as well in the tent. Actually the noise it makes is kind of relaxing.