Eating while on your long run (Read 867 times)

Forever Learning

I also recommend every runner read "Lore of Running". It's the bible of running and addresses many of these topics.
    Agreed - it is the desktop reference. I am still stuck around page 150 after 2 years Roll eyes
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

> No fluids within 2 hours of the start, or you will need one or more bathroom stops in the first miles. I read someone else recommend stop drinking 30min before race - I tried that and I found that I seem to need to stop drinking more like 45min before race to avoid needing bathroom stop in race.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

up to at least 10 miles, as I just seem to really like the distance. I usually do not eat or drink anything before or during these runs... My question is, at what point do I need to start taking in calories and fluids during my long run build up?
        Have you checked your fluid loss through sweat on these runs? It's easy to do by weighing yourself (dry) before and after the run. If you haven't had any potty breaks or taken in any fluid, then the difference in pounds is just the number of pints you've lost. You will need to replace water and electrolytes for the marathon if you want to be comfortable and running effectively, especially at the end. Caloric intake through sport drinks or other things isn't necessary on your training runs. Check, however, that whatever you will be using during the marathon agrees with your system. I myself do all training runs with just water and electrolyte (Endurolyte) replacement capsules. I allow myself sport drink in the race. Check Greg McMillan's website (www.mcmillanrunning.com ?) regarding his recommendations for your "endurance" long runs.
        BeeRunB

I am in the first few weeks of training for my first marathon, which will be in March. Over the years I have always had long runs of up to at least 10 miles, as I just seem to really like the distance. I usually do not eat or drink anything before or during these runs. My question is, at what point do I need to start taking in calories and fluids during my long run build up? And to add to that, do you eat a gel, shot block, or whatever, right from the start of your long run, or wait until you hit, say mile 13 or 14? I am looking forward to training for this event almost as much as the marathon itself. But I really want to learn and practice the right way to eat and drink during these long runs so that I will have it down come race day. Thanks everyone!
          Never eat gels, food, or drink sports drink on long runs or any run these days. I bring a liter of unflavored Pedialyte for electrolytes (in 6 oz Fuelbelt bottles), which I drink after 30-40 minutes into any run over 10 miles (just water to start). There's very little calories (a hundred in a liter), and no crap, just electrolytes. Forces the body to use it's glycogen and fat stores, both of which you are trying to have the body adapt to storing more (glycogen) and using more (fat). Since I know from the past that I do well with sportsdrink and Gu in the race, I don't need to train with them. I used to do a run or two before the race to get used to each, but don't bother anymore. I don't eat carbs of any kind within 3 hours of the race, or until 30-40 minutes into it. Want the body to be burning fat as much as possible from the getgo. Then I take carbs to keep the fat-burning going, and also to help prolong glycogen stores (which fat-burning will do as well). --Jimmy
          BeeRunB

But if you are into articles, here's a good series on the subject of fluid intake, dehydration and exercise: Part I: History of fluid intake and a conflict of interest (etc)
            Thanks for the link to this excellent blog! Exactly the kind of information I'm looking for...

Running in Belgium
            Ann

I know I'm a bit late on the response, I just got back home late lastnight. It's so different for everyone and can change over time as you gain fitness. When I did my first marathon, I would take a gel every 4 miles. In my last marathon I took a gel about every 6 miles or so. It wasn't set because I've learned to listen to my body and it will tell me what I need when I need it. The signals are very weak, that's why it took me a while to listen to them but once you learn to listen, you hear it loud and clear. For your first, I would follow the directions on the gels and take them every hour or so. After time you will learn what your body needs but for now this works. Good luck on your first. Marathons are such a blast!
              Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09