Middle School Track (Read 615 times)

There's a high school kid in my area that regularly does very well in local 5ks, and I think he was one of the best at the state meet in XC. This spring, he made it to the state meet in track, but not in distance stuff. He ran the 100, 200, and 400. I don't remember how he did, but I think he got second in at least one of them. Point is, let him try out all the distances. He might be good at long stuff or short stuff, but he's got to try it for himself to know what he likes.
      My son is 22 now, and has run a couple of marathons, he is not interested at all in shorter distances, though with his body type i think 5k might suit him better. He has always enjoyed soccer, also played baseball and rugby; in high school he weighed 240lbs and was a shot putter, also the fastest sprinter on the rugby team. (He has slimmed down to 178lbs now!) He might actually be best suited to cycling, has enormous strength in his legs and can outride some decent club cyclists he has ridden with; my point is, try as many things as possible, tennis, kayaking, piano lessons, who knows what they might like if given a chance to try it. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I will suggest that he tryout for everything as suggested here.
        I agree that the event will sort itself out, the most important thing is to actually try out. I really wish I had started earlier in life, if he sticks with it he'll definitely thank you one day.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.