Progression runs (Read 457 times)

As many of you know, I am in the midst of upping my mileage, so I'll make the disclaimer I do not intend on doing any progression runs any time soon, but I am definitely curious about them. What is the benefit of doing a progression run? How often do you incorporate them into your training? At what pace do you finish compared to MP? What percentage of your weekly miles do progression runs entail for you? And...what else do I need to know about them. Just curious! Cool
    mikeymike

I think the benefit of progression runs is that you get more training value for less recovery time required than other types of quality workouts. Sometimes I do 1 or 2 progression runs per week. I do them most frequently when I'm in base mode, but they have their place in all phases of training. The pace I finish at varies quite a bit depending on the length of the run, what phase I'm in and how big of a workout I'm looking to do. Most of my progression runs wind up at or just a bit faster than MP, but some will wind up as fast as 10k race pace. What % of weekly miles? Not sure. Sometimes a lot but again the beauty of progression runs is they only get hard for a little bit at the end. The other thing is a lot of my easy runs are technically progression runs as well but in those cases I'm starting at maybe 2 minutes per mile slower than MP and winding up and 1 minute per mile slower than MP. I think the best way to ease into progression runs is to just work the last 2-3 miles of a run. Start with that. Try to gradually turn up the effort evenly over the last 2-3 miles, instead of a traditional tempo run where you warm up for some distance, then run x pace for some distance, then cool down.

Runners run