Looking for input on training to BQ (Read 1068 times)

If it helps with definitions, I think losing weight is "easy" too.  You use more calories than you consume.  Ain't a lot of fun and I know millions of people struggle to do it, but not hard.  I'm sure that many would disagree, but the concepts are the same.   Most anyone can do it.  Not everyone.  But a lot more than people think.   

Prince of Fatness

If it helps with definitions, I think losing weight is "easy" too.  You use more calories than you consume.  Ain't a lot of fun and I know millions of people struggle to do it, but not hard.  I'm sure that many would disagree, but the concepts are the same.   Most anyone can do it.  Not everyone.  But a lot more than people think.   

Can't argue with Cheevers there.  Beer, food, gluttony are fun.  So there's that.  But yeah, eat less if you want to lose weight.  Run more if you want to bring your times down.  Easier said than done but that's what it is.

Not at it at all. 

Imminent Catastrophe

OK, I could/should have been more diplomatic.

My bad <---(see the thread on overused phrases).

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

gregw

I was reminded of the "talent" of being skinny as I stepped on the scale today.  At 60 mpw I'm 160.  I cut back to 45 mpw and now I'm up to 166.  A runner friend of mine is 6'1''' and weighs 152.  He hurts his knee and doesn't run for months.  Without dieting and without exercising he balloons up to a whopping 155.
          Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I do recall saying that I would not call it easy either, so don't put that word in my mouth as it seems it came from somewhere else.  But it is attainable, I am not a stellar athlete and I did it by shaving over an hour off of my first marathon.  The marathon itself is hard, and a fickle beast at that, that is what makes the goal challenging. The biggest challenges I found are the curves that life throws at me while I am busy doing something else, like running.  Running 60-80+ mpw week after week would not be considered easy by most people, but it can be done, even if you have a life.  I look at it as just another part of the challenge. I am also crazy enough to try and do it again.  It is still not easy, but I know what I do now will make race day feel better, so I stick with it. Just like any other goal in life, it takes hard work, and sometimes years of this hard work, but if you want it, it's there.

Ok, I confused "easy" with "not hard".

I'll disagree with you on that point then. Training for my 3:44 was really hard.