Sam Costa HM (Read 393 times)

C-R

MTA: Makers has a very good report on this race as well. Sam Costa is a smallish HM in a town just North of Indianapolis in a town called Carmel. Its hosted by the Indy Runners Club and is now in its 40th year as a celebration of a local law enforcement officer and runner. This is a runners race without all the hoopla and with a nice tech shirt and great on course support. I live about a mile from the start/finish so my warm up is running from the house and to the race. So I lace them up, fill a backpack with after race clothes and head off. The gun shot off at 9 am and just a little over 325 runners took off in the 40 degree overcast day. The course is rolling and goes through several local neighborhoods. There is a local church that is very gracious and provides a start/finish, parking and an indoor area for registration and awards. They are very supportive of local running and have a very nice 3k and 5k cross country course used by local HS but I digress. The start is winding but downhill which is nice. About half a mile into the race I notice who I believe to be another RA type, Makers. I shout "Ryan" and I got it right for a change. He and I were trying to run about the same pace so it was nice to be able to travel through the course with another RA runner. We hit the first mile just under 7 and it looked like it might be a good day to race. Ryan and I managed a solid conversation while easing into the run. The race is not very crowded so it allows for some space and room. Mile 2 and 3 come and go and we are just below 7 at each. We exit the neighborhoods and now move into some more rolling terrain and Indiana countryside which includes a gravel mine, some cattle farms and of course corn fields. Just after 4 one of my shoes comes untied. Crap. I tie it and race to catch up with Ryan. No harm but I have to think that that sprint might cost me later. No worries. We've been running into the wind for most of the first 5. That's bad but good. Good in that the wind usually blows in the other direction so I know we will get some help in the later parts. Mile six and we just went over 7 but only by four seconds. Not bad. Hopefully the bank built during 1-5 will hold. Between 6 and 7 is when you start a run of about a mile that is a gentle uphill but no relief. Its not very high but you climb the whole way. We hit 7:05 and a 7:09 as we head into another subdivision. Each of the street crossings has great support from local police and volunteers so we never miss a beat. The littl downhill after 8 helped make that mile a 7:01 and we are back at it. Still feeling good and looking to hammer the last 5k if possible. Mile 10 was tough. Lots of turns and dips and it comes in at 7:12 but its time to try and see what is in the tank. I figure either its a great PR or a major crash so I step it up a bit. Basically, the last 5k is fully through neighborhoods so no traffic or distractions. Feeling good through 11 and 12 but the finish is up a pretty good hill to the church. I catch up with another runner and both of us dig deep to race up the hill. We pass a couple of others and he out-kicks me at the end. No worries as it was on a 21:17 for that last 5k and a new HM PR at 1:32:21. After getting the timing chip cut off, I go to see where Ryan is and catch him as he is finishing strong. That 3:30 for CMM we discussed will certainly fall to him this year. He's a strong runner. Today was a good race day. The PR is several minutes off last years and was lots of fun. I get a chance to catch up with other Indy Runner Club members and it looks like lots of PRs and another great Costa. This is a small race with lots of volunteers and community support. I don't race much but find the Costa a runners race in that it takes care of the participants no matter the pace but does so at a fair price with all of the perks. If you get the chance to run it, please do as you won't be disappointed.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Norm, If I'm capable of a sub 3:30, you're gonna be tearing up St. Louis. Congrats on your race.
        Great report, and very nice time!
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Great race (you're speedy!)...this was a stellar weekend for races! Big grin That sounds like my kind of race. The more I run smaller races, the more I have little-to-no interest in big ones. We have the largest 25k in the US about an hour from me in May. I did it the last 2 years, but just don't see the appeal. There's a 5k and 10k, too, so the crowds are kind of nuts, as is parking.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

this was a stellar weekend for races! Big grin
            Not for all of us, ace. BUT this was certainly a good one. Woohoo for Carmel!

Think Whirled Peas

Great report, and awesome race! Cool that you and Ryan got to run together for most of it too. Well done!

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Prince of Fatness

No much else to say other than "awesome performance". Congratulations!

Not at it at all.