Go-To Winter Duds (Read 1060 times)

Cool Jump Suit

I have it pretty streamlined from summer to winter.  I wear the same pairs of shorts whether it's summer or winter.  My legs tolerate the cold really well!  On top I just wear a lined pullover with a layer or two of shirts underneath.  That usually keeps me warm enough.  I will say that I tend to wear the same pullovers all the time....there's just a few that I like!  But the shirts underneath....just random whatever!  I wear something on my head.....bandana, sock hat, baseball cap....whatever.  My hands though,...... my hands I HAVE to have something on them.  During the really cold months I put regular wool gloves on.  Works pretty well!  Although, I think I am going to give the Smartwool a shot on my hands (and feet too).   Big grin

BTW......I really hate the times of year when we get the in-between weather.  Too easy to under or over dress.  Who know what to wear then??  Undecided

So bittersweet,
    This tragedy
    Won't ask for absolution;
    This melody,
    Inside of me,
    Still searches for solution.
    A twist of faith,
    A change of heart
    Cures my infatuation.
    A broken heart, 
    Provides the spark
    For my determination.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

BTW......I really hate the times of year when we get the in-between weather.  Too easy to under or over dress.  Who know what to wear then??  Undecided

I always have a hard time in early Fall and once Spring starts coming along.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

I've got some ZOOT pants about three years ago. I can't remember what I paid but similar ZOOT pants seem to run about $100 so I've been buying other stuff but always grab the ZOOT pair first. I should probably get another pair of ZOOTs because I'll wear them until they fall apart. I've also got a 10 year old pair of Pearl Izumi tights that are holding up well.

Spaniel, how do you manage with cotton socks? I can't run in cotton for more than 5 or 6 miles w/o a blister. I probably haven't purposely exercised in cotton in 20 years.

xhristopher

BTW......I really hate the times of year when we get the in-between weather. 

What I wouldn't give for some in between weather now.

merino wool Buff for my neck/face

How do you like the wool Buff?  Ever use it as a hat?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How do you like the wool Buff?  Ever use it as a hat?

Yup...works wonderfully as a hat.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

After several Winters of running I am finding that I have a drawer FULL of Winter gear, but seem to keep washing and wearing the same few items over and over (and should probably just give away that drawer full).  Am I the only one who does this? 

I bought an UA hooded sweatshirt Saturday night...I have worn it 4 times already.  I love it.  I'm buying more. 

Summer.....shorts and cotton shirt (preference) or tech shirt (only found a couple I can stand)

Spring/Fall (>30F)........shorts, long sleeve cotton tee.

Winter (<30F but >10F).......Paradox brand (COSTCO purchased) "base layer" bottoms with cotton tee or similar "base layer' pull-over top.....ultralight fleece beanie and Manzella gloves.  Sometimes I also will wear just my ultralight Smartwool long underwear bottoms with shorts.

Winter (<10F)........Smartwhool ultralight bottoms under base layer tech pants........long sleeve cotton tee under base layer top........neck gaiter, fleece beanie, Smartwool gloves under cheap-o knit mittens.......

Actually, for winter gear, I only need three pairs of pants, two tees, two over-tops, and my normal hat/gloves........maybe a 1/4 drawer full. It seems to me to be reliable and I can mix and match to make something work for any conditions.  If I were to put all my NECESSARY running wear in a drawer, for the entire year, I think I could make it fit in one full drawer.

It was -9F yesterday for a 4-miler and I did need one additional top layer...........but that may only happen once or twice per year.  The stuff listed above fits all the rest of the conditions.

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.