Chafing questions (Read 2257 times)

I've used compression shorts to solve this problem for longer runs, but they are so HOT in the summer...that I don't like wearing them.......in the fall or winter the are OK...

Champions are made when no one is watching

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

...and I'll add another question:

LynnB and Zoom - I've used SportShield roll-on for years, but was intrigued by the powder after reading your posts. This may be a stupid question but...how do you put it on? (It looks as though it comes in a big tub and not some sort of 'shaker' container like baby powder. I can't imagine you just dip your hand in there, and if it requires some kind of make-up dauber...I shall pass:-0)

It's for use in your socks...not as a replacement for the roll-on.  I use a teaspoon and dump a spoon in each sock, then shake the sock around to distribute it evenly, then put the sock on.  It's also good under an orthotic to keep it from squeaking in the shoe.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Queen of 3rd Place

now that we're on the topic, do most of you ladies run with compression shorts or running shorts?  I've really taken to landsend's performance sport shorts, but find that they start running up around mile 5  (funny how stuff works up to a certain milage then starts sucking).

I use regular shorts (I really like these - they're el cheapos from Champion - they have a loose, full-length lining that slides around and doesn't chafe), but it took a little trial-an-error, seems like some shorts just ride up.  People I've met that consistently have the riding-up problem have all gone to compression.

Ex runner

tomatolover

Body Glide is mediocre and the last few sticks I had crumbled about 2/3 of the way down.  I have found SportShield to work MUCH better.  It's harder to find, but it lasts a LOT longer for the price and works so much more effectively.  Body Glide's effects seem to wear off on me, but I've done 2 marathons with SportShield without even a hint of chafing (at least on the areas where I used it...forgot to put it on my underarms for last marathon and the sides of my sport bra did a # on my arms...I still have light scarring months later).   Their BlisterShield powder is fabulous in socks to help prevent blistering and hot spots, too.

Purchased sportshield on Monday and YAY!!! ...worked great!  Thanks for the heads up

Prince of Fatness

I don't have any problems with BodyGlide.  I do remember one breaking up toward the end of the roll, but all of the rest of the rolls I have used have been fine.  I'll keep the SportShield in mind for when I run out of BodyGlide though.

I'm with John A on the compression shorts.  They solve the chafing issues but are hot as hell in the summer.

I'll have to look into the blister powder.  I have had the occasional blister during long runs and would like something to use as a preventative measure for my marathon next month.

Not at it at all. 

The issue with most running shorts is the seams, or the threads on the edge of the undergarmet.

They put the nice smooth surface against your "parts", but the seam facing to the outside is all rough and threaded and rubs against your inner thigh.

SO, I bought a pair of team USA shorts and singlet.

These are made for our olympians, and I noticed that the seam on both sides is SMOOTH........

Not sure why they don't do this on all of them.

Marathon PR 3:25:23 http://26point2medals.com/metals.html
                I love this forum.  I know this thread was old, but I am sooooooooo happy I read it.  Sport Shield wipes?!  Pass through TSA?!!  I am so happy I can take that bulky bottle of SportShield or Body Glide out of my overstuffed TSA-approved quart-sized ziploc!!

http://www.runningnotes.net

I've had success with Body Glide, no crumbling etc. I just found the price exuberant for a little stick of slippery stuff. Having started triathlons I found that cyclists also used skin lubricants for chafing but different brands. I got a big tube of Chamois Butt'r that I use for cycling and between the thighs and on the nipples for running. It works great so far and it's much more affordable.

- R

Dan Wall

I have good results with bodyglide plus I also wear compression shorts.  not a problem at all with those 2 things

Imminent Catastrophe

Another vote for SportsShield towelettes. Work great, last a long time.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

danyelli

I have a related question ---once the chafing has started any recommendations on what to do while it heals?  I've found that if it gets really bad I just have to take a few days off to let it heal which I hate doing.

That's Ms Squeak to you!

I also suffer really badly from chafing - it's my big wobbly thighs, you see. Sad Sad sad sad! I've tried a bunch of things - generally I end up with a really large patch on each inner thigh and it's horribly painful, and it BURNS. Yuck.

For the healing process for when you've misjudged and things get ugly, I'd recommend those big sticky wound patches you can buy from the chemist/pharmacist. You can use them as wet-wound care if you buy a gel to go with them, or just whack them straight on. They're these big clear weird looking things and I think they're used for nasty graze wounds which are quite similar to a bad chafing patch when you think about it.

As for me, I just go the tights now. It's a bummer because my arms are quite brown (despite my long and ardent love affair with 30+ sunscreen) and my legs are SO white, so I look a bit funny in a dress these days. LOL. I'd LOVE to wear those cute running skirts but I just know how that one will end. I'll have to compromise by wearing a plain skirt over my tights.

I don't do much over about 12k on a regular basis - unless I'm working toward a half marathon (which I haven't since early this year) my long runs actually aren't very long. But when my longer runs were sitting at about 15km most weekends, I never had any problems with my Adidas Climalite tights. The seams aren't 100% smooth but they're fairly flat, and they're breathable enough to wear in summer, warm enough for winter. I tend to not get chafing at all with them.

I apply Egyptian Magic Cream before every run (28 runs in total). Even though I'm only on Day 2 Week 1 of bridge to 10k I have had no chafing issues while running period. I'm a big guy, 263 lbs 6'4" and my inner thighs irritate very easily because they always rub together ingrown hairs and a few boils. However, now that my gf has turned me on to the magic cream I am trouble free.

clydesdale

I'm a "big guy" also 6'2 230ish and used to get mega chaffing issues, like could barely walk after a 6 miler. 

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-100-pure-petroleum-jelly/ID=prod5883317-product

I swear by this stuff, I have had literally no issues since I began applying in on runs >3 miles.  Plus IT'S ON SALE.